Ignorant looking for advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorant looking for advice...

Hey, as the topic stated, nothing but an ignorant looking for some to advise him. Anyway, I recently became interested in the Martial world due to a realization that I am weak, something that bugs me very much. Could anyone recommend a style of Martial Arts? Much obliged.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will make you strong, valiant, and proud.

It depends on how much money you have to spend on training, though. Some MAs are usually more expensive than other MAs.

Judo is usually cheap and widely available... It's highly regarded as an effective system as well.

Edit: Welcome to BullShido BTW.
    Last edited by Tex; 1/17/2010 6:43pm, .

Comment

What appeals to you? Striking? Grappling? Both?

If striking, your best bet is to join a kyokushin, muay thai or boxing club. Sparring should be fairly regular.

On the grappling side of things, brazilian jiu jitsu and judo are very solid choices, with a load of transferrable skills between the two arts. If you can get wrestling, this is also good.

Whereabouts are you based, out of interest?

Stu xD

Comment

Sorry, I didn't specify earlier on. Preferably I would like to do a striking art, although like I said not sure what. If you're curious to where I am, I live in Ne York in WEstchester, if you know where that is.

Comment

Found this place http://www.belmars.com/
          Anywhere near you? Not sure if its ideal...ask them about sparring etc.

Stu xD

Comment

Actually, it is relatively close to where I live, although I think I do have to check around a bit more. Although, would Muay Thai help in a situation where I was in a legitimate fight?
            Last edited by killerbookworm; 1/17/2010 7:19pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by killerbookworm View Post
              Although, would Muay Thai help in a situation where I was in a legitimate fight?
              It wouldn't help you with the law side of the things, but you would be able to put the guy on the floor pretty quickly. As long as you train 3x a week in MT, you'll be good.

Comment

Huh... Interesting. Lets say I were to take the grappling route, what would I want to do for something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by killerbookworm View Post
                  Hey, as the topic stated, nothing but an ignorant looking for some to advise him. Anyway, I recently became interested in the Martial world due to a realization that I am weak, something that bugs me very much. Could anyone recommend a style of Martial Arts? Much obliged.
                  I prescribe :

Weight lifting/strength training about 3 times a week . If you want to do a MA go with one that trains with medium contact on a regular basis and full contact at least twice a month .

Good luck

Dr. C Spirit .

Comment

Combat SAMBO (same style as Fedor/striking + grappling))

New York Combat Sambo, the Flagship School
                    of the American Sambo Association, now operates
                    out of a new location:
                    225 West 36th street, 6th floor
                    (between 7th and 8th Avenues)
                    NY, NY 10018

Chief Instructor: Stephen Koepfer
                    Instructor Phone: 1-917-617-5650
                    E-mail: [email protected]
                    http://www.ussambo.com/school.html#contact

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X