Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Lurker No Longer...

Sup peoples,

Training in the Bull City of Medicine: Durham, N.C., U.S.A.

(I am a white belt) Learning Judo & Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu @ Bushido Judo School @ East Coast Defense. I am looking to work hard, train, and get a crapload of mat hours. I'll take applicable skill over a colored belt any day of the week. However, I am looking to make Shodan in just under a decade in both arts.

I've had some previous experience in:

Kyokushin Karatedo, Gendai Goshin Jitsu (a Neko-Ryu derivative), CRDT, Wing Chun, WTF Tae Kwon Do, and Boxing.

I currently work in the Corrections side of Law Enforcement as an officer.

By the by... this site has saved me from even visiting the dojo of one Jason Brinn.

Any tips I should know to minimize injuries to fingers, toes, shoulders, etc.?

With that... kudos and good work.

JJX out.
    Last edited by JJX; 1/16/2010 9:45pm, . Reason: I am a Corrector.

Cat style self defense ?

Is it this stuff ?
    YouTube- Ernie Cates - Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu

why take that if you already take judo, wouldnt wrestling be more benificial ?
    do you spar with full resistence and pressure test the techniques, if so, are the usefull moves any different from the ones you use in judo ?

Comment

After watching both styles in action today (Judo & Neko-Ryu classes are combined on Saturday) Neko-Ryu focuses more on controlling individuals after the throw, pin, choke, etc. Neko-Ryu also has the self-defense strikes (palm heel) and low kicks (cross heel stomp, soccer ball, etc.)

By the way, its in the same dojo throughout the week on opposite days at a damned good price.

So I get competition Judo on one day and the pure asskickery of a Jujutsu/Judo/MMA class that fits my job and the use of force policy of my career field (which is why I had to give up Kyokushin).

Neko-Ryu also uses a more wrestling/submission grappling angle because in that class I have yet execute dogi throws like in Judo.

We pad up for confrontations (sparring doesn't fit the definition), do bag work, work on hitting primary and secondary vital points, using locks, chokes, etc.

When I trained Gendai Goshin Jitsu (A Neko-Ryu derivative) I found it very useful against FULLY RESISTING persons in an uncontrolled setting.... prison.

In my honest opinion... Neko-Ryu (and Gendai Goshin) is not learning how to fight... but learning how to end a fight with as little force as possible... legally and safely to its practitioner and opponent (if necessary).

I've am currently training under (7th dan) and have trained under another student of Ernie Cates (previously a 6th dan).

It needs to be standard department training... period.

As I understand it... Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu (and Gendai Goshin Jitsu) are pure self-defense oriented MMA styles [nothing fancy, nothing complicated, nothing flashy, borrowed from other styles most notably Jujutsu, Judo, Isshinryu Karatedo, Muay Thai]. {without the paranoia feel of an RBSD style}

We don't pull blows, strikes, kicks, or throws in Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu (or Gendai Goshin Jitsu). Pain is my teacher and the Sensei is the facilitator.
      Last edited by JJX; 1/16/2010 10:16pm, . Reason: More stuff to add...

Comment

Originally posted by JJX View Post
        After watching both styles in action today (Judo & Neko-Ryu classes are combined on Saturday) Neko-Ryu focuses more on controlling individuals after the throw, pin, choke, etc. Neko-Ryu also has the self-defense strikes (palm heel) and low kicks (cross heel stomp, soccer ball, etc.)

By the way, its in the same dojo throughout the week on opposite days at a damned good price.

So I get competition Judo on one day and the pure asskickery of a Jujutsu/Judo/MMA class that fits my job and the use of force policy of my career field (which is why I had to give up Kyokushin).

Neko-Ryu also uses a more wrestling/submission grappling angle because in that class I have yet execute dogi throws like in Judo.

We pad up for confrontations (sparring doesn't fit the definition), do bag work, work on hitting primary and secondary vital points, using locks, chokes, etc.

When I trained Gendai Goshin Jitsu (A Neko-Ryu derivative) I found it very useful against FULLY RESISTING persons in an uncontrolled setting.... prison.

In my honest opinion... Neko-Ryu (and Gendai Goshin) is not learning how to fight... but learning how to end a fight with as little force as possible... legally and safely to its practitioner and opponent (if necessary).

I've am currently training under (7th dan) and have trained under another student of Ernie Cates (previously a 6th dan).

It needs to be standard department training... period.

As I understand it... Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu (and Gendai Goshin Jitsu) are pure self-defense oriented MMA styles [nothing fancy, nothing complicated, nothing flashy, borrowed from other styles most notably Jujutsu, Judo, Isshinryu Karatedo, Muay Thai]. {without the paranoia feel of an RBSD style}

We don't pull blows, strikes, kicks, or throws in Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu (or Gendai Goshin Jitsu). Pain is my teacher and the Sensei is the facilitator.
        You know more about the red tape of using force than i do, and if neko-ryu fits your bill as well then by all means train in it.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Thanks.

Personally, I see Neko-Ryu as an extension of Judo. Which is not a bad thing. And yes, we "confront" with full resistance.

Comment

Welcome, looking forward to hearing how your training progresses.

Comment

welcome to bullshido.sounds like some fun and k arts.as far as injuries go..tape and mor etape.as well as warming up.and don't forget fluids.good luck and have fun.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow CO!! Get your post count up a little then PM a mod for your LEO tag.

Happy training!
                Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by honest_truth View Post
                    Cat style self defense ?
                    AFAIK,'neko' means cat in Japanese, just type in 'neko' for image search and it shall prove my point~~~
                    btw I think it might be some form of wordplay, the sensei in question is Ernie Cates, and so his last name is a homonym of 'cat'(meow!).
                    As many JMA founders use their family name to christen their new-found martial art, hence neko-ryu = cat-ryu = cates-ryu~~~
                    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Quote: Originally Posted by honest_truth
                      Cat style self defense ?
                      Is it this stuff ?

Yep, that's it.

To liuzg150181:

I would have to ask Shihan Cates this question. I wonder what his answer would be?
                      Last edited by JJX; 1/17/2010 12:35pm, . Reason: I felt like it.

Comment

Quote: Originally Posted by honest_truth
                        Cat style self defense ?
                        Is it this stuff ?

Yep, that's it.

To liuzg150181:

I would have to ask Shihan Cates this question. I wonder what his answer would be?
                        Please do keep me update on his explanation,I am REALLY curious whether my hypothesis is right.
                        Never hurt for a martial artist to have good sense of humor.:icon_blac
                        "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                        - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Out of the stands and onto the field....

Welcome long time lurker - first time poster!

Comment

Cates = Cat?

Originally posted by liuzg150181 View Post
                            Please do keep me update on his explanation,I am REALLY curious whether my hypothesis is right.
                            Never hurt for a martial artist to have good sense of humor.:icon_blac
                            I am not sure if it will be soon or in the near future. But this question, even now, is lurking in the back of my mind. Better to ask him as a white belt anyways, before he doesn't find humor in it and strip me of an earned belt.:toothy10:

Comment

By the by... this site has saved me from even visiting the dojo of one Jason Brinn.

Any tips I should know to minimize injuries to fingers, toes, shoulders, etc.?

With that... kudos and good work.

JJX out.
                              Sweeeeeeeeeet! Not only did I help play a part steering someone away from Brinn-jitsu, but I gained Sensei Stokes a student in the process.

Bushido Judo is a great place to train on so many levels. Amazingly nice & supportive people, a good mixed crowd (meaning a nice healthy split between older and younger people in the adult class), and the instructor-to-student ratio is just sick--you practically get 1-on-1 instruction there.

Do you only attend Saturday classes or do you go during the week as well?

P.S. I can give you one great nub tip since being one is fresh in my mind (only 2 years into Judo at this point, I'm still really a nub): Do not leave your shoulder behind on throws.

I had a chronic bad habit of doing that and I would pull the muscles along & under my shoulderblade to hell each and every single class. For a little while I made it my main focus to to stop doing that and, presto, I haven't woke up with more than normal soreness ever since.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X