How do I pickup more BJJ moves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I pickup more BJJ moves?

Ok, after asking questions and getting info from you guys, I finally started BJJ. I did the breakfalls, the basic moves and stuff for the first 5 classes. Today, after learning how to pass the guard and get in to side control, I got permission to spar for the first time, with another guy who's new. And we start thrashing on the ground like idiots. I discovered that I know exactly nothing about what to do.

My question is, how do I pickup moves? How did you guys pick up moves? Is it like you memorize a list of ways of going from position A to position B, and do them as opportunities present themselves?

Could anyone recommend a good book for me? Is there something such as an encyclopedia of BJJ moves or something?

Let me impart a bit of hidden wisdom to you. The answer is absurdly simple.

Keep going to class. There is no shortcut or substitute for hard work and dedication. That's why so many people shy away from real martial arts. They don't want to put in the hard work necessary to become proficient. If you want to get good, keep training.

Stay away from books until you have more than a year of experience. There is nothing so pathetic as a beginner who tries to pull off advanced moves without having any mastery of the basic ones.

I'll give you an example. Recently I was sparring with a brand new white belt who had purchased Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Rubber Guard or whatever the hell that book is called. He tried to pull off a gogoplata on me. This guy can't even perform a basic hook sweep. So for the rest of the round I did nothing but comedy foot and wristlock his sorry ass.

After the round ended, he asked me why I was embarrassing him like that. I told him I felt like teaching him a lesson after he ignored the basics in favor of an advanced technique.

Go to class and soak up what you learn like a sponge. Everyone flails like a fish out of water when they first start grappling.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido and to BJJ. Try these:

Helping beginners set realistic goals - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

and all the links in this post: No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - Noob BJJ question:
      What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Hmmm... worth mentioning x2...

Originally posted by jnp View Post
        Let me impart a bit of hidden wisdom to you.

The answer is absurdly simple.

Keep going to class.
        :icon_chee
        :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
        Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
        Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

watch more UFC jk. im actually suprised that your instructor paired two new guys up together. sounds kinda dangerous. we always got paired up where someone was more advanced and someone was new or two people were not quite so new so everyone could learn off eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
            Let me impart a bit of hidden wisdom to you. The answer is absurdly simple.

Keep going to class. There is no shortcut or substitute for hard work and dedication. That's why so many people shy away from real martial arts. They don't want to put in the hard work necessary to become proficient. If you want to get good, keep training.

Stay away from books until you have more than a year of experience. There is nothing so pathetic as a beginner who tries to pull off advanced moves without having any mastery of the basic ones.

I'll give you an example. Recently I was sparring with a brand new white belt who had purchased Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Rubber Guard or whatever the hell that book is called. He tried to pull off a gogoplata on me. This guy can't even perform a basic hook sweep. So for the rest of the round I did nothing but comedy foot and wristlock his sorry ass.

After the round ended, he asked me why I was embarrassing him like that. I told him I felt like teaching him a lesson after he ignored the basics in favor of an advanced technique.

Go to class and soak up what you learn like a sponge. Everyone flails like a fish out of water when they first start grappling.
            I declare this thread officially over. That covers it all.

Comment

self-plug. something i wrote a while ago
              Position before Submission: What if noob can't get to position? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Stephan Kesting's newsletters have been very helpful. You can sign up for them, and they are free
              http://www.grapplearts.com/index.php
              http://beginningbjj.com/
              Last edited by cyrijl; 1/15/2010 3:26pm, .
              There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

Don't worry about picking up more moves either. That will happen if you go to class and pay attention as previously stated.
                But to avoid the whole "flailing around like two idiots" scenario you should specifically try to work on the things you were just taught.
                You got taught how to pass guard and get to side control? So get your partner to pull guard and you work to pass. Once you get to side control just hang out there for a bit then pull guard and let your partner work to pass.

It's not like there's money on the line or anything. You "win" rolling in class by learning and improving. Not by crushing your partner beneath your might girth or headlocking him for 4 and a half minutes while you do nothing.

Concentrate on learning instead of winning.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice to everyone.

Comment

welcome.also a simple idea.have fun.going in with a great attitude will imrove everyone's game.good luck.

Comment

My first Jujutsu sensei told me that to know a move (just using it during class) and to make it an "on command" technique that requires no thought and just pure reaction (for the purpose of self-defense, competition, or a fight) are entirely two different things.

He also said it takes somewhere between 2500 & 25000 repetitions of a single technique to develop it into reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by eric948470 View Post
                        My question is, how do I pickup moves? How did you guys pick up moves? Is it like you memorize a list of ways of going from position A to position B, and do them as opportunities present themselves?

Could anyone recommend a good book for me? Is there something such as an encyclopedia of BJJ moves or something?
                        I picked up moves by drilling them in class and attempting to apply them when rolling. I have some positions that I have a list of escapes or movements to/from, typically in positions I am not in a lot. On positions I am more familiar with, it's more organic and I just do whatever seems appropriate.

As recommended above, I also wouldn't suggest getting a book until you have all the basics down. I started using Eddy Bravo's lockdown when I was pretty new, and it became my go-to half guard. One day my coach asked me why I was limiting my options so much and I realized that I was always doing lockdown rather than trying anything else and often getting stuck. It took me a while after that to get my basic halfguard up to the level that other parts of my game were at.
                        HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
                        https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X