Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this bullshido or not

hello Bullshido,

I just want to know if the guy I am training with is bullshido and if i should look elsewhere.

heres the story, a friend of mine has been training with his sense for a couple years. so he introduced me (to his sense) and my buddy asked if i wanted to train. it was cheap (price wise) and I am very interested in learning a martial art and with this economy i figured hey why not.

I was told by the sense that he has blackbelts in 6 different arts .... Kickboxing, Taekwondo, Hapkido, Okinawa tae, Wing chun and Tai Jitsu (sorry if my spellings are off). he don't seem that old of a guy (i obviously have no idea how long it would take to get a blackbelt in each of those)

so i show up to a class (mind you which is basically 4 times a month) which was called a "boot camp in martial art". And basically to be honest, seemed more like a Tae Bo class than a martial art class.

so after a few "bootcamps" he tells me he wants to teach me hapkido (said my fluid kicks lend to that style). Ive seen some Hapkido demos so i asked him about joint locks and throws, he says "the Hapkido i teach is a different system, it more focuses on kicks instead of joint locks and what not".

so anyways i have a couple questions for others.

obviously cardio is important but how much of the class(you teach or you attend) is dedicated to cardio

should i run away or what?

is being 6'5 good for the hapkido style heh?

running away from him would be cardio

Comment

Well 4 of the styles you listed as him being...proficient...in are total shit, so I'd say, stay well away.
      Regular hapkido is a lot of balls, so this lads's convoluted version is unlikely to be an better.
      Join a judo, bjj, muay thai or boxing gym if you want to learn stuff that works.

Stu xD

Comment

The term bootcamp is mostly used by MA places as sessions where technique isn't that important, but cardio is. The guy might be legit, but if his hapkido is different than regular hapkido, I would say try out a class, compare, and then choose to run. If you choose to run, say the strain on your legs is too much or some shit, if you want to make it seem stealthy that is. Or you could just take off and join a judo club.

Comment

Wing chun that gives belts is usually the shitty McDojo kind.
          Even decent ones use sash.
          Good ones don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by G0LG013 View Post
            join a judo club.
            Do this. There's a reason why judo is an olympic sport. And another why hapkido isnt.

Stu xD

Comment

Video comparison:

YouTube- Judo

YouTube- Hapkido

I still say judo. They don't fuck around.

Comment

GOLG speaks the truth. Judo doesn't fuck around.
                Conversely, fucking around is highly prevelant(sp?) in the hapkido world...

Stu xD

Comment

so apparently one of the students wants to take ninjitsu which is also taught by this sense. so I think im going to get my running shoes on.

looking into Tohkon Judo here in Chicago and a couple other options. hoping to find a reasonably priced place to learn (either Muay Thai, Judo or BJJ like you all suggested)

Comment

Originally posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
                    Do this. There's a reason why judo is an olympic sport. And another why hapkido isnt.

Stu xD
                    does the same reasoning work for Taekwonshumo?

Comment

It is spelled Sensei. Please. Sensei.

Originally posted by Whathappened View Post
                      Wing chun that gives belts is usually the shitty McDojo kind.
                      Even decent ones use sash.
                      Good ones don't have one.
                      No, this isn't a good indicator. If you really must take chun make sure they compete in full contact Sanda Sanshou or Letai events. On a regular basis. Make sure they spar and don't talk about math theory for most of the class. If you aren't sparring within the first month, no chi sau is not sparring, run away.

Also, don't believe any CMA style that says it will take you years to get adequate at the art.

Comment

sorry I knew that didn't look right, should have looked it up. apologies again.

Comment

There are no belts in kickboxing. At least not in the type that competes.
                          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                            There are no belts in kickboxing. At least not in the type that competes.
                            hi there. Prolly stirrin up a bit of a shitstorm here,but where i train?? we don't use belts,but we do use coloured shirts/singlets (grade coloured) to differentiate between grades,a grade system and we also compete,and have guys coming up that will be competing.

and yes,i KNOW this is off topic,sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Matic View Post
                              so i show up to a class (mind you which is basically 4 times a month)
                              4 times a month is very little if you're gonna get decent at any MA. Unless its a schedule thing where you can't fit more than one session a week for a good reason (kids+school+job etc.).

but I thought you were in Chicago, if not Judo (which I am very much in favour of) isn't there A LOT of good and probably cheap boxing there? :boxing:
                              If so, that's a good bet, it also works very well in tandem with Judo (according to bullshido members, I personally have never boxed).
                              Last edited by Gidi; 1/15/2010 6:11am, . Reason: edit for editting's sake

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X