Is Judo Necessary to Progress at BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Judo Necessary to Progress at BJJ

Im a blue belt in BJJ. I was training between 5-6 times a week. Now days im down to 3-4. During to week we have one day of judo. I never go to this class. Now that i only have a few days to train.

I dont have the love for Judo that I have for BJJ.
    Do you think its is necessary to learn Judo to progress at Bjj?
    Last edited by toddlove8845; 1/12/2010 9:04pm, .

Well think of this when rolling with someone of equal skill

All fights and matches start from standing.

All things being equal the person to get in the dominant position from the get go will have an advantage.

Comment

There are chokes and submissions possible directly from the throws.

All in all, judo newaza won't be equal to that of your bjj, but it does add tools to your toolbox.

Is it necessary to progress in bjj? No

Can it help add to your overall game? Definitely

.....weeps at the words judo and waste used in same sentence.....
      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

The thing is we start from the knees 95% of the time. From there I take what im given. If the other guy wants top ill pull gaurd or vise versa. There are not that many chances to use the judo being taught in free sparing.

Sorry about saying it was a waste. Im an idot please dont take offence.
        Last edited by toddlove8845; 1/12/2010 9:07pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by toddlove8845 View Post
          The thing is we start from the knees 95% of the time. From there I take what im given. If the other guy wants top ill pull gaurd or vise versa. There are not that many chances to use the judo being taught in free sparing.

In my opinion, a competent martial artist should be good at least three or four takedowns whether or not they are a student of BJJ.

Like Goju-Joe and hungryjoe mentioned, if you plan on competing, you would be foolish to neglect this skill. Takedowns come in handy if you're ever unfortunate enough to get into a fight as well.
          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I added bjj to my training repertoir because I knew it would make my Judo newaza better. They're two sides to the same coin in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by toddlove8845 View Post

When you start from the knees, you always wind up in guard, either with you in his guard or him in yours, either way, a "neutral" position.

When you start standing against a good judo player, 99% of the time you will end up in his side control, possibly even mounted or worse, like hungryjoe said, in a submission. So ask yourself, do you want to be the guy doing the throwing or do you want to be the one getting thrown?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

What if you go against a judo guy with some striking? He'd stay on his feet and punch the shit out of you. You'd never get the chance to use your zhoozhitsu

Comment

Besides, Judo is awesome!
                  But seriously, I say try it properly (if you have the time), with an open mind, there's no reason you won't enjoy it, and it should benefit your game.

*Disclaimer: I've done only a few classes of BJJ, and recently started Judo, but I'm mostly repeating what others with credentialos in both have written here.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                    In my opinion, a competent martial artist should be good at least three or four takedowns whether or not they are a student of BJJ.

Like Goju-Joe and hungryjoe mentioned, if you plan on competing, you would be foolish to neglect this skill. Takedowns come in handy if you're ever unfortunate enough to get into a fight as well.
                    I do know a few takedowns and throws. As far a tournaments ive had the most sucess with the single.

Ill give judo another shot(this spring ill be back to 5-6times a week). Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ka-Bar View Post
                      When you start standing against a good judo player, 99% of the time you will end up in his side control, possibly even mounted or worse, like hungryjoe said, in a submission. So ask yourself, do you want to be the guy doing the throwing or do you want to be the one getting thrown?
                      Uh, no you won't. Not every Judo throw leads direct to a dominant position and not every Judoka can hold a dominant position once they get there, much less get a sub right off the bat.

Consider seoinage. If tori rolls through, as is common nowadays, uke has a clear path to his back if we're not calling ippon.

"The only important elements in any society
                      are the artistic and the criminal,
                      because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                      can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                        What if you go against a judo guy with some striking? He'd stay on his feet and punch the shit out of you. You'd never get the chance to use your zhoozhitsu
                        Hahahaha thats hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgehogey View Post
                          Uh, no you won't. Not every Judo throw leads direct to a dominant position and not every Judoka can hold a dominant position once they get there, much less get a sub right off the bat.

Consider seoinage. If tori rolls through, as is common nowadays, uke has a clear path to his back if we're not calling ippon.
                          Ture enough, but then again, anybody in a mma environment who is rolling through on his seoinage will probably learn his lesson fairly quick, no?

Comment

A pretty good combo is to go for ogoshi (major hip throw), but then drop to one knee and kata guruma (fireman's carry). In my experience, tori ends up in a very good position to use a bent arm bar. :)

Also, both of those throws are pretty rudimentary, so they don't take a long time to learn. Simple and effective.

Comment

I do know a few takedowns and throws.
                              Academically knowing how to do them and being able to pull them off under pressure are very different things, and if you're not going to the judo class, I think you fall more under the former.

As far a tournaments ive had the most sucess with the single.
                              Look at it like this- there's always going to be someone out there with better takedown defense than you have takedowns. What happens when you meet the guy who's just going to stuff your shot all day long? It's never a bad thing to have more options.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X