No announcement yet.

Martial Arts in the Movies seem to suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm starting to miss old kung-fu movies...Any way, why is it that I can't find a decent judo movie besides Sugata Sanshiro?
    Originally posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Comment

Try Steven Seagal's old 90's classics.
      Originally posted by Nicko1
      A warrior is not just a person who fights. A true warrior is a scholar, artist, philosopher, fierece combatant, child molester and a spiritual / wise person.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWoopAss2 View Post
        Try Steven Seagal's old 90's classics.
        Aikido=/=Judo

Edit @Siniq:
        The Year of the Gentle Tiger
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202126/

Movie Review: Judo, The True Story and Legend
        Movie Review: Judo, The True Story and Legend (1997) - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Judo Showdown:
        http://www.moviezen.com/movie/yawara...to-no-taiketsu

Yawara judo
        YouTube- Yawara judo
        Last edited by It is Fake; 1/14/2010 6:20pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Siniq View Post
          I'm starting to miss old kung-fu movies...Any way, why is it that I can't find a decent judo movie besides Sugata Sanshiro?
          Blood on the Sun

Bad Day at Black Rock

Some of the Mr. Moto films, but not many, Peter Lorrie was too frail from his drug problem to do much.
          "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
            Aikido=/=Judo

Edit @Siniq:
            The Year of the Gentle Tiger
            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202126/

Movie Review: Judo, The True Story and Legend
            Movie Review: Judo, The True Story and Legend (1997) - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Judo Showdown:
            http://www.moviezen.com/movie/yawara...to-no-taiketsu

Yawara judo
            YouTube- Yawara judo
            I remember that Seagal did some Judo too. But I could be wrong.
            Originally posted by Nicko1
            A warrior is not just a person who fights. A true warrior is a scholar, artist, philosopher, fierece combatant, child molester and a spiritual / wise person.

Comment

Man I wish I could get those, so far I can only find 2 of them (on torrent).

Yawara Judo is based on the cartoon, which intern is based on the real life of a female Judoka named Yawara, right? (I was a fan of the tv cartoon)
              The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Comment

The cartoon wasn't based on the real life person, the real life person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryoko_Tamura) was nicknamed to fit the cartoon.
                Fight Film Friday
                Watching violence on film, violently.
                Click here to donate!

Comment

Movie and TV fights are team efforts and depending on what you're looking for, they can go right or wrong in four major areas;

* Shooting and editing style; there's an art to picking your shots (as in camera angles, lenses etc.) that comes down to 1) whether the director and DoP (director of photography) are into fight scenes or not - that can be make-or-break and 2) budget (more often a factor in quick-turnaround TV than in movies). Fight scenes are time-consuming and time is $$$.

As was pointed out earlier, the quick/close shooting and editing technique is currently trendy with directors who want to bring the audience in to the visceral reality of the fight scene; they deliberately sacrifice clarity for "holy crap, what did he just do?!" Yes, this can be frustrating for martial arts-oriented viewers who want to see the techniques. The flip-side to that is shifting into ultra-slow motion, as in 300 and the recent Sherlock Holmes fights.

* Actor skill, training and rehearsal time; since the original Matrix made a selling point of how long and hard Keanu Reeves trained for his role, more Western movies are budgeting for serious training and rehearsal (long taken for granted in Asian MA flicks). TV series seldom have that sort of budget and will sometimes take shortcuts, like the infamous "hero punches straight into camera, cut to villain reeling away from camera" which is the fastest, cheapest and laziest way to shoot a fight.

* Choreographic style; as distinct from simply choosing particular techniques, this refers to how far "up the reality curve" the choreographer wants to go, which typically depends on the type of story the whole production is telling. A truly realistic fight will include plenty of "mistakes" - half-movements, misses, stumbles, feints, chaotic rhythms and movement qualities. At the other end of the scale are fight scenes that may as well be textbook-perfect MA technique demos.

* Historical and/or stylistic accuracy; in other words, whether the techniques are not only plausible, but actually valid to the style/culture/era/etc. This generally does come down to whether or not the fight choreographer really does their homework; some pride themselves on doing that, some fall back on a generic "movie fighting" style of favorite camera-friendly tricks, pretty much regardless of the characters and story.
                  Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

As a film student and future film director interested in the action genre I will avoid the afore mentioned pitfalls of said genre, I give my word as a bully!

Comment

I just think they dont use realistic techniques while shooting films.

Comment

Well, the unrealistic techniques are some of the most entertaining. For instance, I love watching Wushu, Capoeira, and the like.
                        YouTube- Tony Jaa temple fight Scene

One of the most entertaining fight scenes I've ever watched. Realistic? Not so much. This scene had beautiful choreography, nice camera work, and a really kick ass setting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X