No announcement yet.

The Older Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old man doesnt want a bar of MMA, as far as his concerned its not real fighting because they dont stand toe to toe. Groundfighting is for savages.

But strangeley enough he doesnt mind watching "Greatest Knockouts" since boxing has gone soft since Tyson unified the belts in '87........

Comment

Only during the last week of Movember at the time of day when the light shines just right on my shaved and balding skull to give the illusion of a mohawk.
      GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
      Originally posted by Devil
      I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
      Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
      I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Great thread

*subscribes*

Comment

Lol, I have never heard anyone think that grappling is "dirty" since one of the favorite pastimes of the older folk seem to be wrestling for fun.

My dad was an amateur boxer and he did not think that kicking is "dirty" per say , but he felt hitting with anything other than gloved fists is just stupid.

Not useless, just stupid as to why people would want to risk getting kicked in the head in this day and age, and kept asking me what the purpose was. I couldn't explain to him. To him, if you wanted to find an outlet to fight, boxing was it, WITH headgear.

I told him I was interested in Muay Thai and he said that I was crazy cause those guys are brutal and stupid for doing so lol.

I didn't argue because somehow I feel the same way, but I still love kicking people in the head, brutal or not...

oh yeah, hitting someone when he is down will be considered dirty for a LONG LONG LONG time...

Comment

Actually of the older generation I think that from my experience have been pretty good. Most of the really old ones think that its good that I know how to handle myself and my parents think its good that I'm off my ass and training instead of slowing becoming fatter.

I even had a couple of nice conversations with my godfather and his brother about why I though MMA was at least no more dangerous than boxing. They were very receptive.

My parents would never watch MMA though, once I had it on and my Dad said that he thought that the GnP was brutal. That's just the way he is though, he's not a very physical guy anymore and I don't think he ever saw the attraction in fighting. Still I can excuse that as MMA can look pretty brutal and I think that the segment he saw was Huerta vs Garcia which was a pretty full on match.

It certainly is a lot better than my generation. I mentioned that QI had the question "Who would win in a fight between Muhammed Ali and Bruce Lee". There were a few laughs and one of my mates said, "What a stupid question, Bruce Lee would KILL HIM"

The rest nodded with encouragement and my heart sank.
            Last edited by Burnsey; 1/11/2010 8:45pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Burnsey View Post
              It certainly is a lot better than my generation. I mentioned that QI had the question "Who would win in a fight between Muhammed Ali and Bruce Lee". There were a few laughs and one of my mates said, "What a stupid question, Bruce Lee would KILL HIM"

The rest nodded with encouragement and my heart sank.
              Do you mean "Quite Interesting"? Which episode?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                Do you mean "Quite Interesting"? Which episode?
                Yep that be the one.

As for the epsiode, I can't remember but I think it was an XL one. Saw it as a repeat.

Comment

just said something about foots in asses... another said something about one punch K.O.'s

I think my Grandparents have T3h D34dley...

Comment

Some of my earlier memories include watching Muhammed Ali fights with my father. I knew he fought Golden Gloves in his youth, but really didn't appreciate that he had a rather diverse martial arts background as a result of both boxing and his stint in the Navy during WWII. When he was dying, he'd get up out of bed, insisting on using the bathroom even though he had a hard time walking and was basically out of it for the 2-3 days before he died. Mostly my older brother took him, but one time, nobody was available but Mom and me. So, I took him. This apparently was not what he wanted, but he couldn't talk, so suddenly, I found his fingers up in my face, reaching round my ear near where my jaw hits, and he dug in. I realized, the old man was going for a very effective pressure point to get his point across. New found respect, let me tell you.

Going through his stuff later, I found this pic from his glory days:

Ali, an appreciation for boxing as the sweet science, and an appreciation that training stays. Thanks, Dad!

Comment

Originally posted by crawford View Post
                      Some of my earlier memories include watching Muhammed Ali fights with my father. I knew he fought Golden Gloves in his youth, but really didn't appreciate that he had a rather diverse martial arts background as a result of both boxing and his stint in the Navy during WWII. When he was dying, he'd get up out of bed, insisting on using the bathroom even though he had a hard time walking and was basically out of it for the 2-3 days before he died. Mostly my older brother took him, but one time, nobody was available but Mom and me. So, I took him. This apparently was not what he wanted, but he couldn't talk, so suddenly, I found his fingers up in my face, reaching round my ear near where my jaw hits, and he dug in. I realized, the old man was going for a very effective pressure point to get his point across. New found respect, let me tell you.

Going through his stuff later, I found this pic from his glory days:

Ali, an appreciation for boxing as the sweet science, and an appreciation that training stays. Thanks, Dad!
                      his corner man looks like the kid who plays Malfoy in harry potter.

Comment

One of my old friends is a 70yr old former ranger vietnam vet (that's as hardcore as you can get if you ask me). He doesn't quite understand martial arts but knows plenty of good stuff from his ranger days. He still says if any one messes with him "they aren't getting back up!" Any time I bring up my training with him he is always eager to teach me what he knows. And it's surprising. Both the techniques he shows me from his Army days and the fact he can still do them. Kind of cool really.

Comment

Originally posted by fourTwenty View Post
                          Indicate to my 82yo Grandfather that Rocky Marciano may not be the greatest fighter that ever lived and he will attempt to kill you himself while explaining why your wrong and fucking stupid.
                          This is my Father in-laws favorite thing to say. He watches most UFC events with me, until his bed time. But he truly believes that Rocky Marciano would kill anyone in the ring. He always talks about how he was 5'11 250 lbs, and could pick up a building with one hand.

I asked him if Rock knew how to do an arm bar, but he ignored me!! Killin me!!
                          Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X