The Older Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Older Generation

I was chatting about some of my future life plans with a mate of mine who is almost twice my age, inevitably the discussion turned to MMA as that is the direction I am heading (not specifically fighting, mind you). He began an animated tale of the "master of a karate that is a special type of karate from a certain region that is the best type of karate" he had witnessed on TV perform a "head fake to the right, no sorry the left, then the right and then with a straight hand (flat) hit his opponent in the neck (with his fingertips) and knocked him out, I mean, straight, just KNOCKED HIM OUT!!!" I chuckled, indicating that TV is known to exaggerate, "martial arts masters" on TV even more so, but I didn't want to be rude so I didn't shatter his delusion.

My dad and I seem to bond over combat sports, boxing when I was younger and MMA now. He has a standard set of phrases and jokes he has used since I was 10, along the lines of "he hit him that hard his coach felt it" and various other dad cliches that he rehashes EVERY single event like I could have forgotten in the past month or so.

He often tries to appear knowledgeable about the sport, unfortunately, due to having cable TV and becoming a little less "with it" with age, he tends to mix up boxing, kick boxing and MMA in his mind. He calls TUF, The Contender, thinks MMA is what they call UFC in Europe and thinks every fighter is either Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture, making it fucking difficult to understand who he is talking about. Imagine:

Dad: I saw that guy, the fighter, the other day knock someone out.
    Me: Who?
    Dad: Ahh, mohawk, kind of looks like you when you have the mustache.
    Me: Chuck Liddell.
    Dad: Yeah, Chuck Liddell, you know he fought Randy "The Natural" Couture the other day on The Contender, did you know that?
    Me: Well, it was a while ago that they fought and they were coaches on The Ultimate Fighter...
    Dad: No, I saw it the other day in MMA, you know thats what they call UFC in Europe.

Its got to the point where I smile and nod, educating is a hard task and he puts the PPV events on at his home which is a five minute drive from mine, so hearing a mish mash of combat sport history, etc is a small price to pay to spend time with my old man and get to watch the latest cards.

What is some of the funniest "knowledge" imparted to you from the less than knowledgeable but over enthusiastic older generation?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

Funny story battle
    When dad was around he was into boxing but not a die hard. His uncle was like a champion somewhere and taught my dad how to "box". When dad was watching UFC with me i remember him freaking out over the fact that they could kick and were still hitting each other on the ground. He would just shake his head and say "HE'S HITTING HIM ON THE GROUND?!". It was always hard explaining to him the sport.

Comment

I only have stories starting with "back in my day" ... cue old stories of how hardcore they were and how everyone today is pussy and armored up like a tortoise (derogatory Chinese term for coward)

Comment

Not being a spring chicken myself (will be 59 in March) I was amazed that an old Army buddy of mine that was shocked at how MMA/UFC bouts went. This guy was a stud in the 101st ABN and even wrestled a bit on the circuit in Florida. His biggest bitch? Even though I know for a fact this guy has trained in Judo (back in a day, circa 1960), his biggest two issues were that they allowed chokes and could kick a grounded opponent. He felt that should be left for life and death struggles in the real world. No amount of explanation would calm him down from his outrage.

Comment

My brother (in his 40s like me) is absolutely convinced that ANY boxer could walk into the UFC and clean house (big surprise since he boxed in the USMC). I can't watch fights with him anymore.

Comment

My father was an amatuer boxer back in the day, but he can't abide by groundfighting. He doesn't mind watching someone get his face beaten to a pulp, so long as said bastard is on his feet. The minute the guy is on his back and eating punches, then it's savagery.

That said, some of my much older colleagues (in their late 50's) at work absolutely love UFC, and are especially impressed by BJJ and GnP tactics. So I can't make a generalization about age and MA.

One thing I will say is that older TMA nutriders out there are some of the most annoying breed of tool. There was a guy who would sit in during our Muay Thai class and offer unsolicited advice, often completely useless hypothetical bullshit, such as a warning not to drop my rear hand back and out during a rear-thai kick as I was prone to an "elephant grab" to that arm...

Comment

well I can convince my dad I'm winning when I'm getting manhandled at a tourney and eventually win on points :P

Comment

Another thing my dad does is yell "ARMBAR" whenever someone grabs an arm, be it in an Americana, kimura or even just trying to control the arm.

Regarding the older generations aversion to strikes on the ground due to its "savagery", we have to remember many are still trying to get their head around kicking while standing. My 80 year old boss and I were discussing exercise regimes and I was telling him about "kickboxing" (no use trying to explain Muay Thai) after he told me about his military boxing experience. He shook his head and said, "We were brought up to use our fists and nothing else, kicking is barbaric". I had this flash of him using old school "put up your dukes" boxing.
                GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                Originally posted by Devil
                I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

I, too, have had the conversations with older gents who all hold similar beliefs: kicking is dirty and grappling is dirty (maybe moreso than kicking). Basically, anything that isnt 'standing and banging' (to put it into modern tersm) just isnt OK by them. And when they tell me this I try to figure out if it isnt OK because they really feel it a "dirty trick" or if it's a matter of being inflexable to new rules/sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
                    My father was an amatuer boxer back in the day, but he can't abide by groundfighting. He doesn't mind watching someone get his face beaten to a pulp, so long as said bastard is on his feet. The minute the guy is on his back and eating punches, then it's savagery.
                    I think that mentality comes from giving someone the chance to surrender. If someone's beating my face in, I'd have to actively surrender or rely on my asskicker's mercy. But if I was getting my face beat in while standing, I could just fall down.

My grandpa thinks MMA and judo are the same thing.

Comment

Indicate to my 82yo Grandfather that Rocky Marciano may not be the greatest fighter that ever lived and he will attempt to kill you himself while explaining why your wrong and fucking stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by fourTwenty View Post
                        Indicate to my 82yo Grandfather that Rocky Marciano may not be the greatest fighter that ever lived and he will attempt to kill you himself while explaining why your wrong and fucking stupid.
                        Do you think we'll be like that when we're 82, except it'll be Chuck Liddell? "He had a mohawk that you could set your watch to and a punch that would put you into next week!"

Comment

I too wonder how we'll be when older and when the combat sport of the day is Ultimate Scrotum Twisting or something.

Comment

The Testicular Torsion Lobby will be all over that one.

Comment

Do you look like Chuck Liddell? Thats cool.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X