Hello Intelligent Martial Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Intelligent Martial Artists

Hey. Name's Matt, 20 years old, Junior in College (I'm majoring in Justice Administration, another word for Criminal Justice). I started learning Shobayashi Shorin-Ryu Karate when I was about 11. I reached 6th kyu white belt, but never got any higher rank as unfortunately the dojo closed due to money issues (Sensei lost his day job.) My sensei was an ex-marine corps MP, who learned from Sam Pearson while in the Marines.
    Unfortunately we never did full contact sparring, but then again no one got above white belt. However, he did teach judo techniques, always reminding me that most fights end up on the ground, and we did have freeform grappling. I still practice a lot but on my own which is something I need to remedy, and am about to start learning Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu sometime soon.
    I collect knives and am starting to collect battle-ready swords. I Have a generation 2 Irish Hand and A half longsword and just got a Hanwei practical Shinobi ninja-to. I know that one's not historically accurate but it looks cool ;]
    I also am a traditional archer, meaning I shoot long bows and recurve bows rather than modern compounds.

Anyways I have a Bullshido story:
    Back in the day, when I was still with the old dojo, Sensei and two students went to do a demo at a school somewhere. Also there were a guy named Master Wheung or Wong or something (forget how he spelled it) and his students. Master Wrong as I will call him, claimed to be, Not kidding, an 18th degree black belt. I think in Tae Kwon Do. As part of his demo, Wheung held a board, a rather thin, particle wood board (I mean less than half inch thick) for his students to kick. This woman embarrassed herself by taking about four tries to break it, and only when Master Wheung bent it for her. My sensei Brought in a piece of these boards, to teach us to beware of McDojos. Another of our students snapped it in half accidentally by applying a little bit of pressure.
    A few months later, on the morning news were reports of multiple rapes in this particular city and they got into the subject of self defense. Lo and behold, there was our old buddy Wheung, who was now a 19th degree black belt.

Welcome.

Comment

Welcome.

I have studied under Master Wheung for 74 years and he is a great and immortal teacher. You've actually got it backwards, he is a 91 Degree Black Belt. Just fuckin' with ya.

On a side note, what sort of MA you thinking of taking?

Comment

Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu. I really need to brush up on grappling. I was kinda suspiscious of the place that teaches it at first when I saw the instructors were purple belts until I read here that Advancement is slow in BJJ and that purple belts are able to teach.

Comment

If you're looking for some quality grappling, you can't do much better than BJJ.

Yeah, compared to most other MAs, it takes a while to get really good at jiu jitsu. Purple belts will probably have around 4-5 years' experience - the time it takes to get a BB in many other disciplines.

Once you start BJJ, you'll wonder why you ever did karate:D

Good luck!

Stu xD

Comment

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. The place I'm going has a pretty good record too. I'm waiting for them to call me back

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X