Hi Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks

Hey everyone, total beginner here. I've been a fan of MA since I was just a wee lad, but never had the guts to take part. I've now decided to just get over myself and start training, because I know I'm going to end up regretting it down the line if I don't. I've been offered a free first lesson of kickboxing next week so I'm going to go and try that and see how it goes.

Is kickboxing a good choice for a striking art? I always hear great things about regular boxing (footwork, excellent punching) and Muay Thai (conditioning, clinching, more tools) but it's harder to get good info about kickboxing and what makes it stand out.

Anyway, I'm excited about starting up and hope I've found something rewarding

cheers

Originally posted by buttonmasher View Post
    Hey everyone, total beginner here. I've been a fan of MA since I was just a wee lad, but never had the guts to take part. I've now decided to just get over myself and start training, because I know I'm going to end up regretting it down the line if I don't. I've been offered a free first lesson of kickboxing next week so I'm going to go and try that and see how it goes.

Is kickboxing a good choice for a striking art? I always hear great things about regular boxing (footwork, excellent punching) and Muay Thai (conditioning, clinching, more tools) but it's harder to get good info about kickboxing and what makes it stand out.

Anyway, I'm excited about starting up and hope I've found something rewarding

cheers

From what I've seen on these forums and other places is that a lot really depends on the teacher. If the art is great but the instructor sucks you lose. But if the art is shit and the instructor is great you may end up winning.

Any links/names? It seems that all the Bullshido members combined know the answer to any question. Scary. Its like a martial arts interactive Wikipedia.

edit: forgot to say, welcome.

Comment

Thanks, and that's a good point. The instructor seems pretty exceptional
      http://www.rick-young.co.uk/

I notice he does MT as well as kickboxing so I might ask him how he thinks they're different and what makes one worth doing over the other. I notice that kb is a bit of an umbrella term so it could mean almost anything.

Comment

do it.

That place looks awesome. Pretty sure Rick Young is suppossed to be awesome. I would train there if it was near me.

I would try the csw and jitz too, to round out your skill set.

Good Luck!

Comment

thanks

I watched one of his BJJ lessons the other day and it looked pretty excellent. If I find I really like doing martial arts and think I can dedicate myself to it then I'll definitely be picking that up as well.

But since I still prefer good stand-up fighting, I'm going to stick with one of those for the time being and see how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by buttonmasher View Post
            thanks

I watched one of his BJJ lessons the other day and it looked pretty excellent. If I find I really like doing martial arts and think I can dedicate myself to it then I'll definitely be picking that up as well.

But since I still prefer good stand-up fighting, I'm going to stick with one of those for the time being and see how I get on.
            yeah stick with stand up if thats what you prefer for sure. Sometimes its easier to stick to one thing in the beggining anyway: saves you from information overload.

At least you know that if you fancy trying your hand at grappling in the future you will be well served for it there as well.

I'd like to try CSW but its rare as fuck in the UK from what I can tell.

Hope you enjoy the gym!

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido mate. and the wonderful world of martial arts.

I don't know the school, but I'm sure someone will be along soon. Definately go and check it out though, if the first class or two are free. Let us know what it's like:
              price
              length

Comment

Well, my first class was great. Big gym, seperate changing rooms, gloves/focus mitts/Thai pads all provided etc. Class was just drills that day, but I've heard they do sparring/full-contact other days as well.

Since I didn't even know how to throw a punch or a kick before walking in there I spent the class drilling the basics... footwork, jabs/straights/hooks and a few Thai kicks. Still found it fun.

I also got my original question answered - his kickboxing is a LOT like Muay Thai. I was pleased to see that they allowed low kicks and were doing knees/elbows and a lot of clinch work. I asked what the difference between it and MT was since they looked the same and was told that it was a mix of MT and Jun Fan kickboxing, while the MT class is just straight MT. I don't know shit about Jun Fan kickboxing so I wouldn't have known really.

Anyway it was awesome and I'll definitely be going again.

thanks for the welcomes B)

Comment

Good for you mate! I'm glad you found a decent gym you can train at.

Comment

If you're going to rick young's gym i take it you're in the burgh?

Everyone I've talked to says his place kicks arse, so nice one on that front:).

Will Watson's BJJ at tollcross is great also - absolutely lovely bunch.

Stu xD

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido. If you still haven't decide which certain style you should go for, try a combo of all you mention. And Best of Luck.
                      Originally posted by Nicko1
                      A warrior is not just a person who fights. A true warrior is a scholar, artist, philosopher, fierece combatant, child molester and a spiritual / wise person.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X