No announcement yet.

Teaching other martial artists: Pros and cons humerously stated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trick is to pair the No-it-all with the person who needs the lavish amount of attention in class... they do exist, they are another character on the landscape. They are the person who just needs more attention to feel like they are getting something.

But not to be cavalier here: one has to be oh so careful not to let anyone develop bad habits... That is the one thing I will not tolerate in my classes because I know how long it took/takes me.... IMO bad habits are especially bad for advanced students because they are more ingrained and may take longer to chase out! (picture the priest exerscizing the demonin the exorscist ha). So I may let a no-it-all work with someone but if one of those habits is observed I snap at it.

Anyone notice some particular bad habits from particular arts?
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Comment

Taekwondo = hands down = hit in the head a lot.
      Wing Chung = Chain punches = check hooked in the head a lot.

Those are two of the top of my head that I have dealt with. I think rule sets can create some undesirable habits also. I've never been a fan of turtling or pulling guard in competition...while rolling however I do pull guard for bottom work. I shouldn’t even mention point sparring…there are many threads on it already. Although fun sometimes it has created many ridiculous habits in guys I’ve trained with.

The other thing I've been getting a lot lately (or at least in recent months) is guys who don't go to good mma schools and/or can’t afford it. So they are trying to learn as much as they can as quick as they can to fast...basically becoming a jack of all trades and a master (or at least proficient) of none (gypsies).

I suggested to these guys to take their time and get a good foundation in one art then expand...not everyone can be GSP or Machida. The thing is they have competed mma (one of them is 0-2, and the other 1-0) so they are cutting their teeth so to speak under fire which is giving them experience.

Comment

As a student, I don't mind the bully, I don't mind the know it all, or the gypsy. But I freaking hate the centre of attention guy.

He's only a belt below me, but fuck he yammers on. And doesn't put the mats away.

= Uchi-Mata until he feels defeated and crestfallen. Or if I'm in a bad mood, Uchi Makikomi.
        Originally posted by Judoka_UK
        Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannetosen View Post
          Or complain about ear grinds.
          Dammit. *pushups*

Comment

Originally posted by thorthe power View Post
            Taekwondo = hands down = hit in the head a lot.
            Wing Chung = Chain punches = check hooked in the head a lot.

I suggested to these guys to take their time and get a good foundation in one art then expand...not everyone can be GSP or Machida. The thing is they have competed mma (one of them is 0-2, and the other 1-0) so they are cutting their teeth so to speak under fire which is giving them experience.
            yeah some guys are really strong and tough and really really like to fight. Naturally they do well in their element. One thing I have always loved about the gracies... and I mean the older generation with Rorian before Helio primarily here... is that Rorian, who easily could look like an English lit professor, albeit a swarthy one... would fight for the family against these fucking monsters. In one tape he fights a burley guy who was quite simian in appearance and was scary looking as hell and strong as hell.

I like to use that tape and Rorian as an example of what a man can really do when he decides to actually pay attention to technique, refinement of technique and application of technique that requires more than thinking of th enext move from the seat of your pants. Some guys get it others don't like it and just want to fight.

At one time I was training around 3 special forces guys in Maryland and one of them always wanted to fight fight fight. He would always without fail leave his groin open and I would nail him with a round kick coming in, he would drop roll around a bit and that was that. I would tell him what to do to avoid that situation but....it wasn't his time to get it so the scenerio would repeat and everyone would laugh. These guys were my buddies so we all laughed it up but it didn't seem like my friend would ever get the idea of developing the technical skill to defend his groin, which I would without fail try to show him how to do. Yet on of my older students became quite good defensively because he made a choice to. He actually did well against the special forces guys cause he used his head.
            This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Larson View Post
              In my experience, the "know it alls" won't learn from getting beat up, because their delusions prevent it. They'll always make up some excuse to save their ego.
              my jackie chan nutrider friend kept telling me that snake kung fu could beat boxing anyday because their arms are kept directly in frong of their faces so I could supposedly never land a hit. Too bad she never heard of sidesteping, circling and hooks. Unfortunately she backed down from my official challenge. So the delusion continues to this day. :help:

then there was this ninja ex-coworker, who proudly showed me his water-fire-earth-wind stances and explained in great details how every element was supposed to mean and do. And how he would catch a boxer's punch and twist it around until the guy would be in a pretzel state. I threw him a dozen jabs and one two and waited for him to catch anything. Believe it or not, HE ACTUALLY AGREED THAT IS TECHNIQUE WAS NONSENSE. He was very level-headed, and you don't come across that often

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X