Hello, need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zendokan View Post
    Also see that the groundfight ends with submission techniques (armbar, triangle, collarchoke, etc...) and not just a pin (pushing the two shoulders of your opponent against the ground).
    You may have to grade up a bit before you can do subs in competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
      You may have to grade up a bit before you can do subs in competition.
      Subs in training, in competition just throws and pins.
      Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
      You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
      Originally posted by Humanzee
      ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
      Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
      It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
      The real deadly:

Comment

For the most part judo is ,from what i can gather from this site, pretty street effective right? I know my boxing abilities have yet to fail me but i want to be prepared in the chance that if brought to the ground by a adversary i should be able to turn or keep the fight in my favor. Reading the judo faq right now.

Comment

If you manage to grab someone and throw him on his head, I'd say it's pretty street effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
            If you manage to grab someone and throw him on his head, I'd say it's pretty street effective.
            Haha yeah. The Faq and http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=76009&page=1 cleared that up for me.

Gonna check out a Judo club tonight. Hopefully all goes well. Thank you all once again for the great advice.

Comment

*update*

Hello all,

Just wanted to update on the dojo i attended last night. Went to the Sawtelle Judo Dojo last night and got a feel for the place. When I entered the class was already in session with lots of grappling and throwings. The general atmosphere was friendly but serious which was good to see. I was greeted by some of the senior citizens that were there and helped explain who the instructors were and if i was interested who to talk to. They were all quick to point out one of the instructors who was the 2008 Olympics womens judo bronze medalist. Not sure if she was a permanent instructor there or just a guest but it was good see her work. I felt for her partner as her moves were hard and fast. Didnt know how loud you sound when you hit the mat, that never seems to come across on the youtube videos.

Another good point i saw was that the instructors were actively sparing with the students and not just standing on the side lines. Toward the end of class everyone lined up and the instructors gave out updates for the coming month. Mostly who were the guest instructors were, when a japanese judo team will be attending, and upcoming tournaments. They really stressed the tournaments alot which was my only off put. I enjoy good sparring and the occasional class match ups but never was too into the whole trophies/medals aspect of MA's. Learning and live sparring was reward enough on its own, but i guess that may be just me.

Overall though it was a very impressive and i was go to a few more class sit ins to get a better feel for the place.
              Last edited by carbonwerkz; 1/07/2010 2:54pm, .

Comment

Hello carbonwerkz,

Just some few tips for the future:

- use paragraphs, it makes it easier to read for the other members and you will get more responses back, then when you post a wall of text. Not dissing you, it's just an advice that will make your life easier here.

- You don't have to see competition in Judo as about getting a trophy. It's more like a pressure test for you and your training. You will be more stressed in competing against a person from another club then against someone you know. It comes closer to the rush that you'll get in a real fight outside the dojo.

Have fun, train safe,
                Zendo
                Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                Originally posted by Humanzee
                ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                The real deadly:

Comment

fixt w/paragraphs

That true Zendokan. I like sparring with people from other gyms to test out my skills with an opponent i dont know, I just dont like the whole "Look at me I got so many medals and trophies so i must be a badass" or sensei's who feel "we make Black Belt champions and if you dont compete then you are not in". But i do understand the extra stress that comes with tournaments is similar to real fight in the sense that you are more compelled to win. I will try to keep an open mind when it come to that.

Comment

Sawtelle? Are you in West LA? I need me some proper throwing instruction. The Kali/FMA throws and wrestling takedowns leave me feelinging a bit skimpy in that regard.
                    Last edited by Ike; 1/07/2010 5:19pm, .

Comment

Yes sir, From Manhattan Beach to Santa monica and as far east as Beverly Hills is where i primarily venture in LA. Mostly work and school but try to explorer as much of LA as i can unless its an area where i have to make sure i wear the right colors lol.

Comment

Glad you made it o the gym. Welcome to MA and Bullshido!

Comment

Unless you wander into El Segundo/Inglewood/Lynwood, which are the closest rough spots to WLA, I think you're alright. There are some rough parts near Culver City as well.

I'm in Toluca Lake, by Hollywood and Studio City. Tried moving to the Westside but I wasn't feeling it. Plus home prices are still insanely high.

There's a pretty good MMA gym near you, I think it's this one: http://mma-losangeles.com/Home.html I instructed a group of students who went there, and I'm pretty sure I saw my two JKD instructors there, either as students or teachers. They don't seem to teach JKD, however.

Inonsanto's Academy is MDR, but I didn't like the douche factor I found in some of the students and instructors. Plus they don't spar.

Comment

Actually I live in Downtown El Segundo and find it have a towny feel and quite safe but i haven't explored El Segundo east of Sepulveda. Yeah house prices in LA are nuts, even during a recession.

Thank for the recommendations, they seem like great places, but are bit out of my price range. (poor college student) Sawtelle Judo club is only 20 bucks a month and have classes M/W/F so thats roughly 12 classes a month. Not too bad I think but of course thats not including gi price,registration, and USJF membership which would come out to be in total around $135 to start.

Still thinking about it but i may have to put in a little overtime at work to scrap up some cash.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X