Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boulder Judo Training Center is... dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boulder Judo Training Center is... dying?

In related news, the local TKD and Karate clubs are A-OK.

Seriously, though, they have gone from their own building to a small space in the YMCA, and have gone from paid world class coaches to a meager staff of volunteers. I just started there in Dec - they're a nice group of people and the coaches still there are solid. I have to walk by a huge class of people doing karate or TKD kata in a spacious room next to us on my way to class on Tues and Thurs and it pisses me off. The judo club is just losing numbers.

It's really depressing.

That sounds like your typical Judo club.:BangHead:

Comment

It's sad but true, Judo is nowhere near as marketable as TKD and no-touch Karate. Sad, but true.
      I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

:O

I'm checking you guys out sometime soon (probably Thursday of this or next week).
        So, maybe I can meet another bully in CO.

I have a friend who says that the coach and assistant recently moved away. Could that be a cause? Anyways, it's a pity--I heard that it was an amazing place to train, but from your report I don't know how current that review is, now.

Comment

You'll just have to be content in the knowledge that you would smash them into the ground. *plays violin mournfully*
          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
          Originally posted by Devil
          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
          I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

I would definitely still come out. The people still there are good people. I'm hoping it's just a phase brought on by the economy and some bad luck. I'm going to push all I can into it for now - I mean, this is Boulder's only place - the next closest ones are in North Denver/suburbs. If they get the numberd they can build back up to where they were. I just started at that place recently, so I'm not really in advice offering territory, but they could afford to explore new marketing avenues.

Comment

Alright, I'll definitely come and check it out. I've exchanged emails with Brandy (who, as the receiver of emails to the dojo's email account, I would assume is a chief coach or some such position). Which class do you take? (Intermediate youth, adult, or wha..?) I'll try to introduce myself when I'm over there.

I think marketing may be a small issue.

I only recently heard about it from a friend who trains (well, trained, but he might go back) there, whereas Karate America (*vomit*), Easton, and even the Enshin dojo at CU have been a bit more advertised.

Comment

I'll be there tomorrow at 6 and Thurs for both sessions. I'm a tall, thinnish yellow belt - my God have I had that belt a while. Moved around and then broke my arm, but I'm settled down and back to fully focused now.

They're a very welcoming set of people, so no need for any first time jitters if you're the kind who gets them.

In other news, a friend of a friend is opening a BJJ studio in Longmont. His name is Matt Jubera - black belt in both BJJ and judo and he has a high school wrestling background to boot, plus an insane competition record. His place will be called Dark Horse BJJ and will open its doors in February.

Also, Easton's network is by all reports a pretty solid, albeit costly operation.

Comment

Just double-checking: The BJTC is at the YMCA that's just north on the west (mountain) side of the 29th St. Mall? Also, there are classes at 5:30 to 6:45 T/Th and M/W 6 to 6:45?

Thanks for all the info, by the way--I look forward to meeting you soon. Also, if you could pm me (if it's not too much of a hassle) some info about Dark Horse BJJ (location, contact info for Matt) that would be excellent--right now I'm looking at Easton. I had a trial lesson and it was pretty good but it's SO FRIKKIN EXPENSIVE.
                  Last edited by Hylas; 1/06/2010 12:59am, .

Comment

Hope that dojo does well, Ive been thinking of cross training recently but I cant decide on judo or Bjj.

Comment

For the Greater Denver area, most of the BJJ places are really pricey. So, that may influence your decision. There are some great judo places in Denver with a lot of history, Northglenn springs to mind immediately, and the Denver Judo Club I hear is solid, and may have jiu jitsu classes, according to the website.

Judo is easier to add for cross training, unless you can find a BJJ place that is oriented around you coming 1-2 a week in terms of price scaling. Most BJJ places in this area have tons of classes a week and are pulling in the full MMA crowd -- which does make them an awesome primary training environment, but it can be a big time and financial commitment. As mentioned all over the forum, judo is cheap and widely available, and most programs have a couple of primary classes or have price scaling for going 1-2 times a week, which is what most people do when cross-training.

Other than that, apply generic 'ground' vs. 'clinch.' I will say, besides doing judo, if you want your judo throws and clinching to work against tons of different opponents, you're going to have to try it out in different environments - gi/no-gi, against wrestlers, against BJJ clinch game, against people who want to knee you in the face. But the same goes for any of the other MA's clinch games. IMHO.

Comment

I live in Toronto. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why Judo hasn't completely died. Not for anything that there does not seem to be any marketing done on behalf of Judo. I see so many MMA adds with BJJ everywhere. And of course there is the UFC where you can count all the Judo players on one hand.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but what do you guys do for marketing?

Comment

There should be a "Great Marketing Campaign of 2010" wherein various judo schools roam the streets throwing people hard enough to knock them unconscious, then leaving fliers for their school on their prostrate forms.

It could work.

Comment

Originally posted by superninjagod View Post
                            I live in Toronto. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why Judo hasn't completely died. Not for anything that there does not seem to be any marketing done on behalf of Judo. I see so many MMA adds with BJJ everywhere. And of course there is the UFC where you can count all the Judo players on one hand.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but what do you guys do for marketing?
                            Get bullies to tell every noob that judo is cheap and widely available?

Comment

Originally posted by foxd View Post
                              There should be a "Great Marketing Campaign of 2010" wherein various judo schools roam the streets throwing people hard enough to knock them unconscious, then leaving fliers for their school on their prostrate forms.

It could work.
                              My idea was open-ground randori sessions in parks and locations like that. I've always wanted to randori in the open, sounds like it could be pretty fun.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X