Ear Gaurds & MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ear Gaurds & MMA

I am considering taking MMA up some time in the future (probably going to study BJJ for a year or something before I get into the sport). However, I noticed that alot of MMA fighters don't wear earguards and have cauliflower ear which worries me a bit. I am a classical/baroque violinist (amateur) and so I am not willing to have my ears potentially fucked up.

I guess these are rather vague and broad questions (hence in NT and possibly no good search results on Bullshido and Google) but:

1. What's the deal exactly regarding earguards in MMA and associated leagues?

2. Any reason why they aren't mandatory?

3. Is there any point in doing MMA if I want/demand to use ear protection?

And just out of curiosity:

4. What's it like having cauliflower ear?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Originally posted by Ducktoes View Post

Anyone?

Comment

I am considering taking MMA up some time in the future (probably going to study BJJ for a year or something before I get into the sport). However, I noticed that alot of MMA fighters don't wear earguards and have cauliflower ear which worries me a bit. I am a classical/baroque violinist (amateur) and so I am not willing to have my ears potentially fucked up.

I guess these are rather vague and broad questions (hence in NT and possibly no good search results on Bullshido and Google) but:

1. What's the deal exactly regarding earguards in MMA and associated leagues?

2. Any reason why they aren't mandatory?

3. Is there any point in doing MMA if I want/demand to use ear protection?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
      1. as far as i'm aware there is no regulation on them, in many places they are manditory for practice, in many places they aren't, no one is going to throw you out for wearing them.
      2. they're annoying and uncomfortable and give you opponent more things to grab on your head, and personally i don't do nearly as well when i'm wearing them as when i'm not, and cauliflower is very rare anyway so there is no real need to make them manditory.
      3. sure, just wear them, no one will object, unless you demand your training partners wear them
      4. you don't really notice after a bit I forget i have it till someone notices or asks about it, it doesn't affect your hearing at all, my ears no longer sting or get numb in the cold and its an instant higher level of respect when you walk into a wrestling tournament whether they know you or not, outside fighting sports some people think its cool some think its ugly, most don't notice.

Comment

Wait, you're a violinist and you want to train and compete in BJJ and MMA and you're worried about cauliflower ear? As a former violinist (don't play much anymore), you should be far more worried about permanently fucking up your fingers, hands and wrists.

Comment

Originally posted by edtang View Post
          Wait, you're a violinist and you want to train and compete in BJJ and MMA and you're worried about cauliflower ear? As a former violinist (don't play much anymore), you should be far more worried about permanently fucking up your fingers, hands and wrists.
          Yes that's also a worry, but the ear thing I knew less about.

Alright so putting things into perspective, damage to my hands, fingers and wrists should be my primary concern. Is the risk high enough that I shouldn't even try this stuff unless I give up violin (which isn't going to happen)?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes that's also a worry, but the ear thing I knew less about.

Alright so putting things into perspective, damage to my hands, fingers and wrists should be my primary concern. Is the risk high enough that I shouldn't even try this stuff unless I give up violin (which isn't going to happen)?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks for your help.
            I've trained and competed in BJJ for about four years, and I've yet to sustain any serious injuries that would prohibit my ability to play the guitar/accordion if I ever practiced anymore.
            Unless the extra adrenaline in MMA makes people more likely to crank on armbars when competing, you should be fine.
            The fool thinks himself immortal,
            If he hold back from battle;
            But old age will grant him no truce,
            Even if spears spare him.

Comment

If you want to compete it may not be a good idea to keep playing the violin. Chances aren't high you'll break all your fingers but chances aren't low you'll be untouched either.

I say train, and then you can see if it's right for you. Try out a month or two. If you feel your fingers are getting fucked up, don't do it.

Comment

My job requires a reasonably high degree of manual dexterity in my hands and I'm also an amateur magician (though not a very good one), 3+ years of BJJ, gi and no-gi, and I've not received any serious injuries to my fingers that would inhibit me from doing any of those things.
                sigpic

Comment

Violin requires quite a bit of delicate wrist and finger tip sensitivity (much more than guitar), all in rather awkward positions, no less.

I've never personally had my fingers or wrists hurt, but I don't compete and roll (comparatively) light and haven't sustained any injury in BJJ at all, period. But I know plenty of folks with jacked wrists (like my teacher) and chronically messed up fingers and thumbs (and quite frankly guys, if you've been doing BJJ for a while you know those guys too). It's really, really easy to get a finger or hand caught or jammed the wrong way, especially in gi jiujitsu.

Personally, if I were still playing violin for money or if it were more important to me than martial arts, I would be extra paranoid in class (which I am already somewhat conditioned to do) and probably end up quitting BJJ though.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X