Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mabs Cull: This is what I see as a problem with focussing on sparing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mabs Cull: This is what I see as a problem with focussing on sparing.

When you practice the WC drills and techniques it is at full power. When you spar you must "hold back" so as to not do serious harm to your sparing partner. You will fight the way you train. If the bulk of your training is in sparing then you're not likely to explode full power into a real confrontation. Where, if you always practice those techniques at full power then when you have an instant reaction in a real situation it will naturally explode at full power. This is what I see as a problem with focussing on sparing.

Originally posted by wcgate View Post
    When you practice the WC drills and techniques it is at full power. When you spar you must "hold back" so as to not do serious harm to your sparing partner. You will fight the way you train. If the bulk of your training is in sparing then you're not likely to explode full power into a real confrontation. Where, if you always practice those techniques at full power then when you have an instant reaction in a real situation it will naturally explode at full power. This is what I see as a problem with focussing on sparing.
    Uh.....did you seriously just necro a FIVE YEAR OLD thread to add that nonsense? Even if we accepted that your comments held value, which to be honest I don't think they do, it would still be ridiculous that they are posted to this ancient thread.

Comment

Do not feed the trolls

Comment

Yeah because punching air and man dancing translates well to a fight.

I guess if you fight a stationary guy with a huge erection.

Comment

Do you mean the drills and techniques that you practice against thin air or those where you have to stop just before your partner?
          " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Why not do Judo? It can be applied at full speed and power WHILE you spar!

Comment

When you practice the WC drills and techniques it is at full power. When you spar you must "hold back" so as to not do serious harm to your sparing partner.
              ...or use protection gear?

Comment

anyone else not surprised that the WC guy can't even SPELL sparring?
                "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                Spoiler:

Comment

Sounds like a song, "I can't hold back, I won't back down..."

I like sparing, when I'm bowling

Comment

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
                    anyone else not surprised that the WC guy can't even SPELL sparring?
                    Considering this is from a 5 year old thread nope not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by nifoc View Post
                      Do not feed the trolls
                      Do not resurrect threads which died 5 years ago unless you have something new & constructive to say.

In other words, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Comment

That's utter nonsense. Have you ever actually sparred anyone in your life?

Comment

of course then he doesn't realize that when you get into a situation or fight adrenaline is pumping and you are not worried about not hurting the other guy. In other words you have a total different mindset, also punching thin air does not give an equivical measure of your striking power. When you punch the air you hold back or put on the brakes in some way to avoid hyperextension of joints.

Comment

No, but he's spared people. I guess he's so powerful that he has to check himself and not kill everyone he meets with his chunbeams.

Comment

When you practice the WC drills and techniques it is at full power.
                              Bullshit. Not only is it not full power...but it is static...you know what is coming.

When you spar you must "hold back" so as to not do serious harm to your sparing partner.
                              Bullshit. Have you ever rolled w/ anyone?

You will fight the way you train.
                              You are right here. Too bad you are going to be totally fucked if you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR ATTACKER IS GOING TO ATTACK YOU WITH!

That's what drills (largely) are...practice against something that you know is coming (i.e. pak sao vs. straight left, tan sao vs. hook). If that's all you train you will never be able to pick up queues from your attacker w/ regards to what might be coming at you.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X