Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How "intimate" are you with your MA club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How "intimate" are you with your MA club?

I've been lonely lately and been wondering how "intimate" are you with the folks at your MA club?

WC - lunch with the sifu and guys, occasional hanging out at coffee bean joint
    TCC - None, went home as soon as it was done, hang around sweaty old people? No way.
    BQZ - chats with the friend who brought me to the club
    A.Karate - late night drinks with everyone
    TKD - none, some friends were in the club.

@WhatHappened:
    Rather off-topic,but how many martial arts you have listed are you training right now? Seems like you are training 7 days a week......
    Last edited by liuzg150181; 1/04/2010 8:58am, .
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

I consider the people at my club friends, not close ones by any means, but friends nonetheless. I have been going for quite a few years now though (going on 4-5), so I suppose that's inevitable.

Some of us go for a cheeky pint at a local pub after the session... for recuperation purposes only, you understand.

Comment

I have a few friends in the club, and the club as a whole try to arrange social gatherings (bbq and stuff like that). Oftentimes we'll go out for a few beers afterwards, same thing when we have seminars. I like the people at my club, sure there's always people that rub you the wrong way, but only a few of them I consider friends.

Comment

I have one or two good friends, the rest of them I like and respect and hang out with them when asked but have pretty much nothing to do with them outside of class.

The ones that are good friends, I speak to a lot and go drinking with etc.
          " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

They often try to slam me to the floor, choke me, and try to break my arms.

Comment

Well BJJ's just a big orgy, anyways..:P

Em honestly, I'm the youngest person at my club (by at least 4-5 years), so none really. T'would be nice, but hey:)

Also, Whathappened: what do TCC and BQZ stand for?

Stu xD

Comment

I have some of the guys from my school over to my house on Sundays because the school is closed. We work out in my garage on the heavy bag, double end, plyometrics, etc. and do some sparring (boxing).

I don't really "hang out" in general.
                "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

we chat after training and i have them on facebook, mostly thats about it.

Am i missing out on something here ?

Comment

Originally posted by honest_truth View Post
                    we chat after training and i have them on facebook, mostly thats about it.
                    This. I have a couple who were good friends before I started training but that's different.
                    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
                    https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Comment

Bjj and Wrestling (same club): almost weekly partying
                      Judo: I'll bump into some of the guys on Thursday night when going out -> So I'll see my bed around Friday morning for 2 hours before going to work
                      Savate: the club goes for drinks after the training in the cafetaria of the sportcomplex.
                      Muay Thai: When I bump into on of the guys on a Saturday night (happens once every two weeks) -> I'll always see the dawn of Sunday.
                      Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                      You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                      Originally posted by Humanzee
                      ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                      Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                      It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                      The real deadly:

Comment

I've got nothing to do with the MMA guys outside of training which differ a lot from me in character, interests and lifestyle. I'm closer to the Tai Chi guys, but still I only train privately with some from time to time.
                        The problem for me is that the Tai Chi practitioners don't have any idea of fighting(we don't practice for fighting but for internal development which I use for fighting) and the MMA guys can't really understand what I'm practicing in Tai Chi. So noone really gets me and that sucks because my way of practice is natural to me and because of that I don't understand the others to good.
                        At Tai Chi I'm the fighter guy and at MMA I'm the Tai Chi guy.
                        Okay, enough complaints. I love that training combination.

Comment

We're a very tight group.
                          SEANBABY:
                          "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

We're a pretty tight group. We sometimes all go grab dinner together after we train, or we'll sit and chat and have a beer together.

Comment

Originally posted by liuzg150181 View Post
                              @WhatHappened:
                              Rather off-topic,but how many martial arts you have listed are you training right now? Seems like you are training 7 days a week......
                              These are the MA groups I currently/previously attended.

To answer your question, currently WC, Ashihara solo drills and Tai chi chuan forms.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X