Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am Cheap and Widely Available

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I am Cheap and Widely Available

    Yesterday, myself and Little Lord FauntleDingDong (aged 5) took our first Judo class together and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was especially pleased to be back in an MA class after almost six months sidelined with a shoulder injury.

    I'm really looking forward to playing some Judo and finally understanding what so many of you manhandlers are banging on about, but at my age, my expectations don't stretch far beyond just doing something cool with my son.

    Happy new year to you all!

    #2
    Throw him while you still can. I'm amazed at quickly kids can get good at grappling.

    Comment


      #3
      15 years later

      You: Clean your room!!
      Him:....(walks slowly towards you)
      You: Ahhh you know what its fine.

      Alternate scenario

      You: clean your room
      Him: He's waking up doctor quick...
      Doctor: You had us worried there

      or

      You: NO SPINE LOCK!!!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by t3h d3adly View Post
        15 years later

        You: Clean your room!!
        Him:....(walks slowly towards you)
        You: Ahhh you know what its fine.

        Alternate scenario

        You: clean your room
        Him: He's waking up doctor quick...
        Doctor: You had us worried there

        or

        You: NO SPINE LOCK!!!
        That had me laughing really hard.

        Happy New Year to you too, and I think it's really nice that you've found something you can participate in with your kid--my parents don't share any of my interests (parkour and martial arts :P), so I'll bet he appreciates it, or he will. Have fun!

        Comment


          #5
          .... i am a ghetto hooker ?

          i was hoping we get to play jeopardy, anyways it is funny you mention this because i am trying out my first judo class on tuesday as well, was it hard on knees ?

          what did you do the first class, TELL ME MOAR.

          Comment


            #6
            Thats one lucky young DingDong.
            GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
            Originally posted by Devil
            I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
            Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
            I <3 Battlefields...

            Comment


              #7
              Kinda off-topic, but I don't like to use the word "cheap" to describe Judo. In my mind, it implies that the art itself is of poor or average quality (which it is most certainly not). "Inexpensive and Widely Available" is better (in my opinion), but I don't think too many people can handle all those fancy extra syllables.

              <turns up nose, waves pinkies about>

              Comment


                #8
                My son's 21 years old, weighs about 220 lbs and can bench-press me.
                Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

                Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

                Comment


                  #9
                  My son keeps getting stopped by contraception-fu.
                  GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                  Originally posted by Devil
                  I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                  Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                  I <3 Battlefields...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by honest_truth View Post
                    anyways it is funny you mention this because i am trying out my first judo class on tuesday as well, was it hard on knees ?

                    what did you do the first class, TELL ME MOAR.
                    Maybe you've already been to class, in which case, you already know but for us it went a little like this: 20 mins warmup - running, situps, pushups, stretching, then one of the blue belts came over to show us breakfalls - side, front and back - all of which are considerable harder to do than you'd think. We did that for about 40 minutes at the side while the others did randori, ne waza and took instruction. This was time well spent, and I expect we'll keep doing it for a few weeks yet. I've no complaints, as the last thing I want is another injury that it takes my old carcass half a year to recover from. After that, I was shown a technique starting on all fours where you roll a guy over end up on top and then lean into his ribs to cut off his air. Didn't manage to take much of the terminology in, but that'll come.


                    I should also add that I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to tie my belt. I am left-handed, so virtually handicapped.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
                      I should also add that I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to tie my belt. I am left-handed, so virtually handicapped.
                      I hear ya, sister. As a fellow lefty, learning to tie my belt was an embarrassing, anguishing ordeal that made me want to kill myself with a tire iron.

                      That, or wait until I die of ink and graphite absorption from constantly smudging my handwriting.

                      Comment

                      Collapse

                      Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                      Working...
                      X