Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convincing parents of safety of BJJ?

Hey everyone,

I did an hour and a half of positions, some basic technique drilling and some light rolling with a BJJ blue belt who's in my Hapkido school and helps out with beginner classes at a BJJ place here in Boulder, CO. I'd really love to get in to BJJ, but my parents are worried (yes, parents--I'm a high school freshman :P) because "it has chokes. It sounds like something could go wrong. In the heat of the moment, what if someone snaps your neck?"

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can convince them of its safety? I'm positive the instructors and students are all level-headed, reasonable and know how to let go when someone (probably me, since I'm brand new to ground fighting/grappling) "taps out," but my parents are suggesting things like meeting all 10, 15 of the instructors at the school, or having me participate in BJJ without submissions (...wtf?). They've already ruled Judo completely the hell out because I could "seriously get hurt."

Any tips?
    I'm trying to get into a martial art that's not frowned on by 90% of the community here, but the 'rents are making it damn annoying.

Thanks guys,
    Hylas

I liked this guys article from http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommen...tial-arts.html
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Tell them it's safer than football.

Just don't forget to tap and hear "I told you so!"
      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
        Tell them it's safer than football.

Just don't forget to tap and hear "I told you so!"
        My little brother plays football, so I told them that :P
        They said "there aren't chokes in football, and a ref can come break up a fight between players."

And if they give me the opportunity, I will totally get submitted, tap, and tell them I told them so.

Comment

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...58_tyee12.html

It says here that there have been 22 known deaths in US since 2000 from football (not pro, highschool college stuff)

http://www.mahalo.com/mma-death

There has also been 3 deaths in MMA, this is bloody fucking Em-Em-FUCKING-Ai, you, opponent and cage. With all the skull smashing glory of fists, kicks, knees, elbows, throws, slams, armbars and chokes you could handle, and still only 3 died.

In BJJ you can tap at any moment (being completely gassed or uncomfy is okay when you are a beginner, and cant distinguish the crushing pain and the oh-shit-my-elbow-will-pop pain), there is no face punching or kicking and unlike judo that gets all throw happy on your ass, you get to butt-flop around pulling guard all you want, even as a gracie in competition.

There is also a coach and a bunch of students that can forcefully pull someone off you if they get real and wont let go after you tapped, they will also probably get the perpitrator choked and thrown out.

Also say that 80% of fights go to the ground so you are learning self defence, the streets are dangerous and you should learn how to fight, you have 2 options, learn how to fight in a club under controlled conditions and coaching, or join a street fight club and learn to be badass there. (you can also use common sense and not get into fights, but for the sake of scaring your mom say that every corner has a thief and everyone is violent)

Doing other sports is just as risky and doing no sports turns you into a hipster fag who will do lots of drugs, get caught, sent to jail and will have to fight off bubba from ass rape literally, since 80% of fights end up on the ground and BJJ is sex without all the humping, even hipster druggie fags need to learn it, which makes YOU, your mommies blue eyed, blond haired little poopsie-kins angel son with cute chubby cheeks, a perfectly normal candidate for BJJ and you will be fine, if they disagree then you can choke them out till they agree.

WIN/WIN ?

YouTube- Keith Owen On: tapping 10 000 times

also make them watch this.
          Last edited by honest_truth; 1/02/2010 9:56pm, .

Comment

Also if you cannot convince your parents about the safety of bjj. Consider wrestling, it isn't the same as bjj but it will get you started in your grappling journey and it will teach you how to maintain a dominant position on somebody(really important). As well as giving you a very good baseline fitness for BJJ after HS is done

(Also wrestling is in HS so it's gotta be safe.
            /sarcasm)

Comment

Success!

Doing other sports is just as risky and doing no sports turns you into a hipster fag who will do lots of drugs, get caught, sent to jail and will have to fight off bubba from ass rape literally, since 80% of fights end up on the ground and BJJ is sex without all the humping, even hipster druggie fags need to learn it, which makes YOU, your mommies blue eyed, blond haired little poopsie-kins angel son with cute chubby cheeks, a perfectly normal candidate for BJJ and you will be fine, if they disagree then you can choke them out till they agree.
              That's something along the lines of what I told them, and it worked.

So...yippee.

This thread no longer has a reason to exist :D

Thanks for the statistics, h_t.

Comment

When parents are concerned about sports they are thinking injuries, usually not death. My dad was a pediatrician, and would never let me play football because of the debilitating injuries he saw come through his office. Permanent, disabling ones, and Wrestling as it turns out is worse.

Your parents are right to be concerned. The problem is that with someone like me, it simply delays the injuries, since I eventually ended up doing Kyokushin karate, rock climbing (which caused the most disabling injury) and JJJ.
                "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
                1) That it doesn't work
                2) That it does work"
                -Animal MacYoung

Comment

Originally posted by crappler View Post
                  Your parents are right to be concerned. The problem is that with someone like me, it simply delays the injuries, since I eventually ended up doing Kyokushin karate, rock climbing (which caused the most disabling injury) and JJJ.
                  My ex-girlfriend came from a religious family, went to an all girls catholic school and .... i miss her being my GF :(

But thats another thing, people who want to do something will do it eventually, whether they like it or not there is only so much parents can do to control you before you are an independant adult.

be it martial arts, tattoos, being in a band and playing music or deepthroating my dick while licking my balls at the same time, god i miss her, but she was a clingy psycho.

point is, this thread is over, OP is 10 and should be in bed right now, so have your glass of warm milk, one AND ONLY ONE COOKIE, and off to bed, you dont want to be late for the school trip to the petting zoo tomorow.

nighty night, enjoy your BJJ, there are no monster under the bed, bye.

Comment

Originally posted by crappler View Post
                    When parents are concerned about sports they are thinking injuries, usually not death. My dad was a pediatrician, and would never let me play football because of the debilitating injuries he saw come through his office. Permanent, disabling ones, and Wrestling as it turns out is worse.

I have had a similar expericne, except it made Boxing look like the craziest thing on earth, due to my Dad's Grand-father being super fucked up from being a bare-knuckle boxer, that made BJJ look oh so safe, but Mauy Thai looked like it would make me crazy, and somehow an Anti-Semetic Barber, but they eventually gave, I harassed them all weekend.

But I did get to play football because My Grandfather Demanded it, or else... (he would be sad...)

Comment

I would suggest holding off on BJJ and joining your high school wrestling team. It doesn't have chokes so your parents won't have that excuse. You can start BJJ when you're 18, go to college, etc.

There aren't as many venues to learn to wrestle when you're an adult. This way, you don't end up a guard pulling pussy like me. A solid wrestler that later adds BJJ is a serious threat.

Comment

Originally posted by sweats View Post
                        I would suggest holding off on BJJ and joining your high school wrestling team. It doesn't have chokes so your parents won't have that excuse. You can start BJJ when you're 18, go to college, etc.

There aren't as many venues to learn to wrestle when you're an adult. This way, you don't end up a guard pulling pussy like me. A solid wrestler that later adds BJJ is a serious threat.
                        Or if he has the time and energy, and he can maintain his grades, he can try both. Then when he goes to college he can continue wrasslin' (if they have it at the university), and also do Judo because of how cheap it is (I might have to make the switch to Judo myself soon due to $ reasons). Combined this would make him a very formidable grappler.

Comment

You could get them to watch a few videos from ADCC or the Mundials...MAs can seem brutal on paper to people with no exprience of them. Show your rents BJJ in action.
                          Its natural for your parents to feel apprehensive. You could argue that the least they can do is let you try a class or two.
                          Lol @ the football thing - totally agree - my friends who play rugby have pretty much permanent panda eyes:P

Best of luck!

Stu xD

Comment

Show them the videos on NAGA of the kids divisions. Or get them to go to a NAGA as spectators with you. Talk to the competitors and judges and refs.
                            I've been doing BJJ for 3 years and while I did get my elbow tweaked a little in competition that injuy wasn't serious and I haven't any other notable injuries from jiujitsu. Striking well... that's a different story.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweats View Post
                              There aren't as many venues to learn to wrestle when you're an adult.
                              Not to derail the thread. (Because I love how people continue to feed advice at this kid after the giant success post.) But is there anywhere you can do this?

My high-school was so fucking backwater small we didn't even have wrestling. I would love to supplement some actual wrestling experience into my game. Nowhere I know of to do it though other than high-school and high level fight camps.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X