Instant Gong Sau that lived up to the hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
    ...Your edit doesn't help either. Also, quit with the appeal to authority.

OMG, in Singapore, blah blah blah.

Really stop.
    How does that make Kungfu Alex any less of a troll?

Comment

Originally posted by Whathappened View Post
      How does that make Kungfu Alex any less of a troll?
      How does him being a troll make you immune from criticism on your repeated appeal to authority?

You made what we call a blanket statement. A few of us disagree.

Every time you get backed into a corner, of late, it turns into industry standard in Singapore, my sifu says, and I will avoid answering your questions.

Comment

Cultural thing. There's always the official answer and the honest answer.
        You may wish to stick with the honest answers with your participation on this site.

Cultural thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Christmoose View Post
          And jesus dude is the only way your kung fu works striking to the groin? That's real badass.
          Hey, you can hit him in the groin. In fact, I'll throw in another twenty bucks if you flying scissor-->reverse mount-->repeated punches in the junk.
          I really want this to fight to happen. I am so sick of people not getting into fistfights over the internet. I'm still sore about the AnnaTrocity/Rudy Abel stickfight never happening.
          Can I get anyone to match my pledge to the winner? I figure a monetary incentive makes it more likely that this fight actually happens and isn't just bluster.
          Alex, this applies to you to. Show up on the 28th. Please show up. I want to watch you fight. I will give you money.
          The fool thinks himself immortal,
          If he hold back from battle;
          But old age will grant him no truce,
          Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
            You may wish to stick with the honest answers with your participation on this site.

Cultural thing.
            Understood, having re-read "Appeals to authority" fallacy, I understand I am in no position of authority (e.g. secretary to the Singapore Martial Arts Instructors Association (SMAIA) ) and this is a privately owned website and I post at their discretion.

Amidoingitrite?

Comment

No. You are not getting the meaning.

It has nothing to do with how you post or who owns the website.

Rivington is saying if you believe what you type then stand behind your words. Be honest.

Don't wimp out by blaming the culture, an organization or you sifu.

That sounds dishonest.

Comment

No. You are not getting the meaning.
                Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...authority.html
                An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
                Person A makes claim C about subject S.
                Therefore, C is true.
                This fallacy is committed when the person in question is not a legitimate authority on the subject. More formally, if person A is not qualified to make reliable claims in subject S, then the argument will be fallacious.
                Well, I'm not an instructor, neither am I in any managerial, administrative or legal capacity to advise said instructors. My only claim is being a Singaporean with knowledge of the mentality prevalent in Singapore. Which may not be true, since it is anecdotal evidence (speaking with other Singaporeans and hearsay) and may only be true within my social network.

So... a little help? :question:

Comment

You changed your argument from "decent grasp" to "execute...in the [email protected] str33ts."
                  If that takes five years, I spit on your sifu and shit on your lineage.
                  Rivington is saying if you believe what you type then stand behind your words. Be honest. ...
                  I don't see the connection, and don't see how you came to that conclusion. Sorry. I am way over my head here. And my friends tell me my grasp of English is quite good (I write their sales letters)

Comment

Amidoingitrite?

No, you're not doing it right. Here is my Christmas present to you.

First you said:

I smell troll, each style of kungfu takes at least 5 years of focused training/practice to get a decent grasp of the art's gameplan, conditioning of the striking surfaces (forearm, elbow, fist, etc) and form.
                    When questioned you changed this to:

5 years is the de rigeur, that most of the sifu/instructors in CMA here in Singapore, tell me it would probably need me (an enquiring potential) to "understand" the style and be able to execute the style proficiently w/o embarrassing the school/instructor in the [email protected] str33ts.
                    When questioned yet again you explained:

Agreed. lol. I get the "5 years" all the time, but in Singapore we have this Kiasu mentality where we "add a little bit more" to play things safe. e.g. Three day project and its reported lead time will be five days completion.
                    So you went from "five years" as a bald statement of fact to a claim that people who know will say "five years" to a claim that those people who know are themselves not being accurate.

That is, you have finally acknowledged that it doesn't take five years to have sufficient gongfu to handle some drunk (oh boy, I wish I could only ever fight drunks!) without actually changing your opinion about anything.

Most people capable of keeping an idea in their heads for more than thirty seconds of time will find this sort of thing annoying.

Comment

5 years ... MINIMUM STANDARD for competency aka "decent grasp", leitai/ring fighting competition is where its at.
                      If you are unable to fight acceptably in the ring after one year of proper training, you are being ripped off by a charlatan. Full stop. (No, really -- :stop:).
                      do, but take refuge in theory and talk

Comment

No, you're not doing it right. ...

So you went from "five years" as a bold statement of fact to a claim that people who know will say "five years" to a claim that those people who know are themselves not being accurate.

That is, you have finally acknowledged that it doesn't take five years to have sufficient gongfu to handle some drunk (oh boy, I wish I could only ever fight drunks!) without actually changing your opinion about anything.

Most people capable of keeping an idea in their heads for more than thirty seconds of time will find this sort of thing annoying.
                        Right, thank you for clearing that up.

I can see, I become dishonest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Skellington View Post
                          If you are unable to fight acceptably in the ring after one year of proper training, you are being ripped off by a charlatan. Full stop. (No, really -- :stop:).
                          Agreed. Its been a year of WC (lol), and solo training, and already I feel I'm ready to spar with current skillset (SNT, CK)

And I know a place I could go for cross-style sparring at reasonable prices too.

Now to make time for it...

Comment

Agreed. Its been a year of WC (lol), and solo training, and already I feel I'm ready to spar with current skillset (SNT, CK)

And I know a place I could go for cross-style sparring at reasonable prices too.

Now to make time for it...
                            You feel?

Are you saying you haven't sparred yet?

Comment

You feel?

Are you saying you haven't sparred yet?
                              Not with WC. Ashihara, done them to death. By death, I mean full contact 4x 5 minute rounds 1min break, twice a week lessons. Required to execute "technique of the day" or no stoppage/time out. Then 2x 5min rounds with the instructor.
                              Last edited by Whathappened; 12/25/2009 1:19pm, .

Comment

Wow I just wow. I yeah wow. How long did you wait to spar before?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X