Instant Gong Sau that lived up to the hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    That's nothing. Gary Myers claimed over a 1,000 bar fights in the original Extreme Fighting event.
    Wow. He must really hate bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
      What's with the "no biting and eye gouging severely limits my style"? Is Kung Fu, or I guess I should say LARPing, really that incapable of adaptation that if you're mildly attacked by a harmless old drunk you have no choice but to bite his eyes out and tiger claw his scrotum?

Kung Fu has punches and kicks doesn't it? If you take away the dirty fighting are you left with inferior punches and kicks to, say, a Boxer's punches or a Nak Muay's kicks? If not, then why can't you compete using those striking techniques? If they are inferior, wouldn't it be better to train in the fighting styles with superior striking and add the dirty tactics to them?

To all the proper Kung Fu-ers, this is not directed at you, just at the LARPers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. To those who think grappling styles fall apart without many rules I have three words for you:

Vale. Fucking. Tudo.

YHBT (You Have Been Trolled)

Comment

Originally posted by kungfu-alex View Post
        The fact that you beat up a so called 'brown belt' in WT I find hilarious. For a start, I train many kungfu styles, belts are uninportant to me, how you defend yourself is what counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Whathappened View Post
          I smell troll, each style of kungfu takes at least 5 years of focused training/practice to get a decent grasp of the art's gameplan, conditioning of the striking surfaces (forearm, elbow, fist, etc) and form.
          No it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfu-alex View Post
            Belfast PE centre, is that where your dojo is? What kind of mats do they have there? How many people will be atending this match, I like to keep these things as hush hush as possible.

The fact that you beat up a so called 'brown belt' in WT I find hilarious. For a start, I train many kungfu styles, belts are uninportant to me, how you defend yourself is what counts. And about the rules, I would still like none at all, it still limits a lot of my attacks. You said no biting and eye attacks, so groin strikes are legal? I assume this will be bareknuckle too with no form of protection other than a mouthguard.

Alex

Yeah we train there. Its normal judo mats. There'll be as many people as turn up to training, i find it highly unlikely you're going to show so i'm not going to tell my friends they cant come train. Hush hush? Man up. This is a video of me losing the final of the absolute blue belt division in the irish bjj open. I lose in about 20 seconds. I still posted it. In the extremely unlikely event you turn up and fight me i'll post the video regardless of what happens.

YouTube- Irish BJJ Open Blue Absolute Final

And jesus dude is the only way your kung fu works striking to the groin? That's real badass.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
              No it doesn't.
              Seconded, if you need that long to get a 'grasp' you're being ripped off.
              Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Whathappened
                I smell troll, each style of kungfu takes at least 5 years of focused training/practice to get a decent grasp of the art's gameplan, conditioning of the striking surfaces (forearm, elbow, fist, etc) and form.
                No it doesn't.
                WH... Let me show you what you just did:-

"So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the shit out of you.
                And when the shit's been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Christmoose View Post
                  And jesus dude is the only way your kung fu works striking to the groin? That's real badass.
                  *Waits for inevitable perversion of CMA gong sau rules*

Comment

No it doesn't.
                    Of course not, I am being careful by making board generalisations, Alex might very well be the next Jet Li.

5 years is the de rigeur, that most of the sifu/instructors in CMA here in Singapore, tell me it would probably need me (an enquiring potential) to "understand" the style and be able to execute the style proficiently w/o embarrassing the school/instructor in the [email protected] str33ts.

Let me know if I missed a step, but doesn't the learning of MA (or any skill) starts from,
                    • mimicking gross movements onto,
                    • mimicking sharp/crisp movements onto,
                    • understand mechanics of movements to generate power/speed, footwork, melee strategy/gameplan (aim for takedown, acquire superior position, confuse opponent, etc), onto,
                    • apply above on static target (aka bagwork/shadow boxing) onto,
                    • apply above on moving target (aka padwork) onto,
                    • apply above on semi-resisting target (aka X-step sparring) onto,
                    • apply above on fully resisting target with limited moveset (aka kumite/sparring) onto,
                    • executing the style's entire move list, in parts, as required in ZOMG teh streetz of raeg

Board generalisations also assume that KungfuAlex's definition of "many" means greater than 3 styles. And by "train", he means he is at least 3 rank/belt/sash above white/beginner in schools with proper training equipment and instructors with proven record in leitai/mma/etc.

To quote my Nam Wah Pai instructor when asked, "How do I know I graduated? (from Nam Wah Pai)", "When you can out-box the boxers and out-kick the muay thai"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Baby Jesus View Post
                      Seconded, if you need that long to get a 'grasp' you're being ripped off.
                      Or the instructor does have the depth and understanding of said art to keep "feeding" the student for 5 years. In Singapore, yes, I know a handful of instructors both CMA and JMA that fit that bill.

Comment

5 years is the de rigeur, that most of the sifu/instructors in CMA here in Singapore, tell me it would probably need me (an enquiring potential) to "understand" the style and be able to execute the style proficiently w/o embarrassing the school/instructor in the [email protected] str33ts.
                        You changed your argument from "decent grasp" to "execute...in the [email protected] str33ts."

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                          You changed your argument from "decent grasp" to "execute...in the [email protected] str33ts."
                          Let me explain myself with an analogy.
                          A decent swimmer should be able swim on any body of water, although he would have difficulty in crossing the English Channel.

Likewise, a "decent" martial artist should be able to fight in any hand-to-hand situation, although he might have trouble in fighting off 7 men armed with bats.

What I am trying to say is, in general, the Singapore martial arts community consider someone has a decent grasp of X martial art to be able to fend off one crazed drunk boyfriend of some girl/troublemaker with zero h2h(MA) skill while suffering minimal injury at his opponent's expense.

tl;dr summary: In Singapore, "teh str33t" is considered locally as the MINIMUM STANDARD for competency aka "decent grasp", leitai/ring fighting competition is where its at.
                          Last edited by Whathappened; 12/25/2009 11:45am, . Reason: More stuff.

Comment

What I am trying to say is, in general, the Singapore martial arts community consider someone with a decent grasp of X martial art to be able to fend off one crazed drunk boyfriend of some girl/troublemaker with minimal injury at his opponent's expense.
                            If that takes five years, I spit on your sifu and shit on your lineage.

Comment

Let me explain myself with an analogy.
                              A decent swimmer should be able swim on any body of water, although he would have difficulty in crossing the English Channel.
                              No. Bullshit. You are mixing way to many thing here and you should have picked something other than swimming. Unfortunately, that was something I was good at and you are completely off base.

As I think you are ESL here:
                              http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Decent

4 : fairly good : adequate, satisfactory <decent wages>
                              5 : marked by moral integrity, kindness, and goodwill <hard-working and decent folks> <it's very decent of them to help>
                              The bold is the definition I use.

A decent (adequate, satisfactory) swimmer should be able to survive a basic incident.

Your edit doesn't help either. Also, quit with the appeal to authority.

OMG, in Singapore, blah blah blah.

Really stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                                If that takes five years, I spit on your sifu and shit on your lineage.
                                Agreed. lol. I get the "5 years" all the time, but in Singapore we have this Kiasu mentality where we "add a little bit more" to play things safe. e.g. Three day project and its reported lead time will be five days completion.

Cultural thing. There's always the official answer and the honest answer. Five years is the "industry" standard lead time CMA instructors tell potential recruits in Singapore. Claiming anything less is considered "irresponsible". The honest answer will be the answer that the instructor himself has witnessed and believes to be true. Usually only revealed in after-class, casual conversations.
                                Last edited by Whathappened; 12/25/2009 12:02pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X