No announcement yet.

Instant Gong Sau that lived up to the hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of, recent comments from Omar on another board (you're soaking in it!) seem apropos to repeat today:

I suppose I know a few things but I don't really Know them. I was just trying to be up front about the fact that I have not really tried any of this stuff in a truly competitive environment. I push hands now and then with Shifu and when I come home every year or two (I have lived in China for the past decade) I have chances for friendly sparring or push hands with friends but having not experienced real competition I often wonder what sort of an ivory tower I may be living in. Shifu doesn't really allow me to go out and throw down with other folks in town or push hands even without his presence.

*whistles*

Comment

Good lord....all those years here and he is just figuring this out? Wow.

Comment

Nice job Christmoose!
        Check your PM box for fabulous prizes.
        The fool thinks himself immortal,
        If he hold back from battle;
        But old age will grant him no truce,
        Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Fair play for showing kfa. I honestly thought you were a bullshitter.

And thanks Moose for having somewhere for this to go down so quickly and for being there, obviously. Nice one.
          Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Don't forget Clyde! Practitioner of one of the most absurdly "deadly" styles ever (Ken/mpo). He showed up and is actually kind of a bad ass. Though I believe a lot of it has to do with him being old, strong and "hard" in the British sense.

Comment

Props to KungFuAlex for showing up. I know I've said all kung fu guys are pussies, but Alex proved that he is not a pussy by showing up at the BJJ players home field and putting it on the line. That gets respect in my book.

Originally posted by Christmoose View Post
              I honestly didn't expect this but he actually turned up! On time and everything. We had a reasonably civil chat before hand - alex reiterated his belief that "deadly" techniques were improtant to his style and i said that i didnt really agree with that - and tried to give him the usual SBG explanation about delivery systems and so on but he didn't really seem to be buying it.

However he still stepped up and got on the mats. Here's the video - sorry about my terrible standup and takedowns lol

Ok embedding doesn't seem to be working -

YouTube- BJJ vs Kung fu (mark vs alex)

Afterwards alex stated several times that eyegouging being allowed would have made a big difference and you can see in the video he had his hands on my face - afterwards he said he was showing me how easily he could have "Blinded" me but didn't want to. I disagreed with him and he left pretty soon after... so I don't think his mind's really been changed. But you know what he had the balls to step up which is more than i can say for the hundreds of other guys who think the same as he does.

For what its worth i was impressed with his defence of my shot (even though it wasnt a very good one) and the way he caught my kick and hit me with a shot to the solar plexus - that hurt! However i think given how bad my standup is its pretty telling that aside from the ridiculously telegraphed body kick catch he couldnt really do anything.
              I'm glad this happened, and the disagreement is why I probably would have okayed the eye-gouging. I know from the past that the only places it can really be a problem are places where leverage and body mechanics are at your disposal. Inside a triangle choke there are no such advantages. the person with the choke locked has all the leverage. Alex also needs to realize that even if he were somehow able to completely gouge your eyes out in the triangle, he still would have went to sleep shortly after, and while unconscious you could literally do whatever you want to him... if your eyes got gouged I'm sure yo could think of some severely unpleasent things to do. The eyes are not a magic button that win you fights and make people let go of submissions.

With that said, Mark... you should work your wrestling a little, haha. If he didn't jump in your guard there could have been some evidence supporting Kung-Fu effectiveness against BJJ/Grappling on the web today. All in all well played, and nice triangle.
              Last edited by M-Tri; 12/29/2009 10:40am, .
              FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Comment

I would train with gouges, but only with somebody who I trusted to stop immediately when I tapped. I don't think gouges are so deadly that they will instantly blind somebody, but if somebody does get a good handhold things could get very nasty. It's clear this guy wasn't too quick at tapping, so I don't blame you for being cautious with the rules.

Also seriously Alex, why did you jump straight into his guard, where you know he is strongest? You didn't even kick him in the legs to soften him up first.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Baby Jesus View Post
                  Fair play for showing kfa. I honestly thought you were a bullshitter.
                  You think he has won a 100 fights , has the deadly , and other such claims ?

... but yeah props for showing .

Comment

Originally posted by Christmoose View Post
                    Afterwards alex stated several times that eyegouging being allowed would have made a big difference and you can see in the video he had his hands on my face - afterwards he said he was showing me how easily he could have "Blinded" me but didn't want to.

Regardless, I give kungfualex props for actually showing up.

... and, I'm also glad to see his 4 years of wing chun at display.

Comment

Originally posted by Christmas Spirit View Post
                      You think he has won a 100 fights , has the deadly , and other such claims ?

... but yeah props for showing .
                      I honestly thought he was bullshitting about showing up.

I don't believe he's had 100 fights, let alone won that many. I don't think he has the deadly either.
                      Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

So how long before other kung-fu people start saying on Youtube that Kung-Fu Alex wasn't using the real Wing Chun?
                        Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Emmm, I already said it, and I'm a card-carrying sports fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackFox View Post
                            Emmm, I already said it, and I'm a card-carrying sports fighter.
                            Yes, but you have no stake in it. You're not trying to keep any of your delusions alive by convincing yourself that Kung-Fu Alex wasn't really a kung-fu guy who got beat by a BJJer.

I could definitely believe that Kunbg-Fu Alex had three or so years of experience in WC, provided that he never did any hard sparring. When a martial artist enters a fight with a bunch of concept and theories in his head, but no muscle memory or experience putting them into practice, he'll usually end up looking like a spazzy beginner kickboxer (As you put it).
                            Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Alex you're awfully quiet. What's your take on the experience?

Comment

I'll have too look back, but did he actually say he did the chun, or did he just say kung-fu? The way he fought kind of reminded me of lau-gar guys from back when I did semi-contact kickboxing. Though those guys were a lot more fluid.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X