Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to all who listen

Hello,

This is my first attempt at posting something on Bullshido , but I am here to change that. First and foremost, I am not much of a martial artist because being rather short and fat, its hard to practice Shotokan with the high Maoashigeris, but I am a faced with a real dilema now. From where I belong a small backwaters city in India , I currently have four choices of martial arts to choose from:-

1) Shotokan Karate,

2) Sports Judo,

3) Aikido,

4) Krav Maga,

The last being quite expensive here, considering that I am around 24 and short and fat and not possesed of great physical courage or stamina what art would you suggest, to boost my moral regarding Self defense?
    :hello:

I would recommend Judo, however, check for sparring ruleset. Some dojos just want to collect "rent money" if you get my point.

Also, don't rely on Martial Arts to condition or trim your fat. That's what gym membership is for. The arts you listed aren't exactly cardio or anerobic intensive.

Comment

Being short and round is practically an advantage in Judo, focus on that imo.

Depending on whether it's a good school or not, you might pick up some useful tools from Shotokan though. There's no advantage to being short in a striking art, but one should learn to close distance very quickly and safely which is a good skill for a short guy who does Judo to have.

In the end though, getting in better shape is part of self-defense. Stick with something and your body will adjust over time.
      Last edited by maofas; 12/30/2009 8:10am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Whathappened View Post

Also, don't rely on Martial Arts to condition or trim your fat. That's what gym membership is for. The arts you listed aren't exactly cardio or anerobic intensive.
        Judo drills can be cardio intensive..........
        "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
        - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Originally posted by liuzg150181 View Post
          Judo drills can be cardio intensive..........
          It really depends on the instructor no?

Comment

studentcalm,

We're listening.

Another vote for judo.

Welcome to the site.
            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

It really depends on the instructor no?
              Dunno abt US, but so far in Singapore I've been to 2 judo clubs, both are rather cardio-heavy, especially doing uchikomi and randori(newaza is rather ok).

ADD:Oh yes, and "mat swimming" as well, though I dont really know the exact term for it.
              Last edited by liuzg150181; 12/30/2009 10:16am, .
              "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Comment

...what art would you suggest, to boost my moral regarding Self defense?
                The one that deals with the attacks you fear.

I think what happens is that, initially, we have a vague feeling of fear. We fear, but don't know what. As you train, you're confronted with an opportunity to explore the cause. You ask questions like "what do I do if this happens?". You train to overcome that, come up with something else, train for that and the process continues and your confidence grows. That, at least, was/is my experience.

However, if you asked "which would make me<i> competent</i> in a self-defense situation," I wouldn't comment.

Comment

Originally posted by liuzg150181 View Post
                  Dunno abt US, but so far in Singapore I've been to 2 judo clubs, both are rather cardio-heavy, especially doing uchikomi and randori(newaza is rather ok).

ADD:Oh yes, and "mat swimming" as well, though I dont really know the exact term for it.
                  Lol I am from Singapore if you look at my location field. Now I don't feel so alone. Do PM me the addy of the Judo club you've been to. Cheers.

Comment

judo

/end thread
                    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Judo, but first drop that term "Sport." I don't know your personal ideology of it all, but as a heads up don't think that as a sport it isn't a real martial art or not applicable in self-defense.
                      "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

Anyone say Judo yet? Seriously short and fat = deadly in judo! Also, throwing people on their head is great for self defense.

Comment

Lol I am from Singapore if you look at my location field. Now I don't feel so alone. Do PM me the addy of the Judo club you've been to. Cheers.
                          U r not alone, I notice there're more Singaporeans here since I joined several years back.

Anyway,check ur PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa's Slayer View Post
                            Judo, but first drop that term "Sport." I don't know your personal ideology of it all, but as a heads up don't think that as a sport it isn't a real martial art or not applicable in self-defense.
                            AFAIK,"Sport Judo" might refer to judo being trained specifically for competition like Olympics games, which means usually they dont have or little groundwork training.

Comment

im an athletic, v shaped, normal height guy with above average strength, when i did judo i got my ass handed to me by short fat guys on a regular basis.

do judo.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X