Intro and asking about JKD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam76 View Post
    man can i make you all crack up please? iam in the uk, been dying to learm jkd forever, and i got 2 of the careter hargrave dvds lol. and ive been learning them, but hey i wasnt to know, so all of you, what shall i do? jerry poteets online school? theres just no where in this country to learn it, help me out people
    It has already been said the Inosanto dvds and the balicki vids are great for learning the actual Jun Fan Kickboxing that Bruce intended for students to learn as a basis on the road to finding thier own Jeet Kune Do.

Jun Fan Kickiboxing involves as it sounds alot of kickboxing and pad work etc. Anther route to consider is Paul Vunaks streamlined version of JKD, if you really dont have a legit school near by, you may have better luck gathering a few buddies a motorcylce helmet and some gloves and with some good determination make some head way with Pauls Stuff ( i personally like the older material over the new "enigma" dvds).

His R.A.T approach is not as in depth as Jun Fan nor as dependent on others to train it, but it was what Bruce actual found for his own JKD ( at least as i understand it)

Comment

GURO Dan. Not Guru.

I've done the Balicki stuff (good) and the Vunak stuff. My instructor said "Dan is like a 4-year degree; Vunak is a technical school." He was right. I've been blessed by having an instructor who was taught by Hartsell, Vunak and one of Balicki's students.

The R.A.T. system from Vunak is a GOOD barebones thing to learn. Then you can work on boxing. Then you can work on BJJ. Then you can work on kali. Then you can work on savate.

OP, you really need to find some place to train! I know your heart is set on JKD, but just watching it on the interwebz is not enough; you have to be on the other end (receiving end) of an instructor. So if there is a local judo club or local boxing gym, then you need to go do that instead of trying to learn JKD on the web. One hour in boxing instruction > 50 hours of watching JKD on Youtube. DVD's and good web vids can only supplement qualified instruction.

Get into some kind of gym!

I've been in MA for almost 20 years now. I know what I'm talking about.

P.S. why JKD?
      SEANBABY:
      "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Bullies, I'm curious as to your opinion on Ted Wong. He was the student who spent the most time taking private lessons with Bruce Lee and has never taken any other martial arts instruction.

Does anyone know if he's a good JKD teacher or what his students' schools are like? (There's one in Tulsa and he occasionally does seminars there. I want to know if it's worth the money to attend one.)

Comment

I don't know anything about Mr. Wong, but all the first generation of BL students are getting very old and may not be here in 10 years. Go see Dan. Go see Ted. Go see Taky Kimura while they are all still alive. Can't learn from dead dudes.
          SEANBABY:
          "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Both Inosantos and Balickis DVDs are amazing, I own almost all of them. I will say this though, Inosanto teaches VERY quickly and is sometimes hard to follow, Balicki's are way easier to follow in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
              GURO Dan. Not Guru.

I've done the Balicki stuff (good) and the Vunak stuff. My instructor said "Dan is like a 4-year degree; Vunak is a technical school." He was right. I've been blessed by having an instructor who was taught by Hartsell, Vunak and one of Balicki's students.

The R.A.T. system from Vunak is a GOOD barebones thing to learn. Then you can work on boxing. Then you can work on BJJ. Then you can work on kali. Then you can work on savate.

OP, you really need to find some place to train! I know your heart is set on JKD, but just watching it on the interwebz is not enough; you have to be on the other end (receiving end) of an instructor. So if there is a local judo club or local boxing gym, then you need to go do that instead of trying to learn JKD on the web. One hour in boxing instruction > 50 hours of watching JKD on Youtube. DVD's and good web vids can only supplement qualified instruction.

Get into some kind of gym!

I've been in MA for almost 20 years now. I know what I'm talking about.

P.S. why JKD?

i have ben a huge fan of bruce lee since i was a kid, the films the philosophy all of it, and i just want to do jkd, it looks amazing, i know all ma is amazing, but thats the one i want to do. the way of learning a bit of this and a bit of that and what works for you really interests me.

the bass player in my band is 4th dan in some kind of karate, iam going training with him in the new year, but not to learn karate, just to bash the pads about and get fit and try out what i learn.

whatever happens i will be enjoying it, and keeping fit

im sure you are a very serious martial artist, where as iam not, its more of just an interest to me, but i would love to be good at it, definately.

Comment

i did think that when watching the clips on his site, i shall give dan a try first, and if it goes over my head, think about balicki's. i shall fly through the first one anyhow, i already have the stances, basic blocks and punches and kicks learnt.

i got in contact with the jerry poteet website and octavio emailed me, i was interested in a seminar 5 day course in the uk, $750 to reserve a spot, $750 2 days before the course, then ive gotta get there, and stay somewhere, how much of an expense? haha. but he really was helpful tho, i cant knock him for trying to help me out.

Comment

i did think that when watching the clips on his site, i shall give dan a try first, and if it goes over my head, think about balicki's. i shall fly through the first one anyhow, i already have the stances, basic blocks and punches and kicks learnt.

i got in contact with the jerry poteet website and octavio emailed me, i was interested in a seminar 5 day course in the uk, $750 to reserve a spot, $750 2 days before the course, then ive gotta get there, and stay somewhere, how much of an expense? haha. but he really was helpful tho, i cant knock him for trying to help me out.
                  Here, ill be a pal

http://v.ku6.com/show/Y3vDxoynpu5W5ZeN.html

http://v.ku6.com/show/52HhK_0DvrB9TI5e.html

http://v.ku6.com/show/Sx0vr3w1sfAv915q.html

Some of Guro Dan's on Jun Fan kickboxing and Jun fan grappling.

Comment

Octavio of Poteet's brand is kind of a cock... He goes out of his way to make political attacks against other JKD practioners, and he seems to have no idea of what to do, God forbid, if his wing-chun trapping doesn't stop a high school wrestler from pulling a double-leg takedown... His Youtube videos are quite hillarious.

Just sayin'.

I've been through both Inosanto's and Vuank's blend of JKD (and don't forget that Vu is actually a student of Inosanto), and, for me, the Jun Fan Kickboxing was the least fun and the most useless. I had already been through Muay Thai and Filipino Boxing by then, so all the shuffling and pendulum kicks didn't impress me.

JKDBUCK76 is right on with his assessment of Vunak's stuff. It's a good framework, a good conceptual breakdown of his approach to a fight (entry, pressure, terminate), but you'll find it's very lean and it still sticks to trapping, which I think instructors stress because it's complex, looks flashy, and is less taxing on them physically. In all the NHB/MMA fights I've seen, not one instance of trapping has occurred...

I'd really recommend learning Muay Thai and BJJ, and learning how to put those together, then, if you can't find a Progressive Fighting Systems (Vunak's group) or Inosanto Academy affiliate in your area, get some DVDs and integrate you MA background into their framework. JKD is about finding what works in a fight, and what works for you.

Comment

man can i make you all crack up please? iam in the uk, been dying to learm jkd forever, and i got 2 of the careter hargrave dvds lol. and ive been learning them, but hey i wasnt to know, so all of you, what shall i do? jerry poteets online school? theres just no where in this country to learn it, help me out people
                      what do you mean "theres just no where in this country to learn it"there is Dave Birkett in dartford who is one of Guru Bob Breens top guys,ive never met Dave myself but i do train with Guru Bob,if Guru Bob rates him then he knows his stuff,or you can go to Guru Bob himself who is in hackney..forget online training dude you need to feel it >>>hope this helped.:new_scatt

Comment

Try www.Kamon.co.uk the instructor Kevin Chan teaches good WC and cross trains in boxing/MT and is a BJJ black Belt. He has schools all over the UK so the chances are you will find one near you.

Comment

Let me go one step further.

Burn, erase, or throw out any and all martial-arts instuctional DVDs, martial-arts instructional tapes, and martial-arts instructional computer files, and do not visit youtube for martial-arts instructional material, until you join a school.

If you join a Wing Chun school, or a school that doesn't spar, or a bad JKD school--fine. We'll bomb that bridge when we get to it. But please, please, please stop making excuses, join a school, and train for real.
                          What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

lol dont worry people, i found wing chun classes close by, couldnt believe it, already been once and loved it, hooraaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!! screw the dvds :)

thanks for all your comments tho, cheers

Comment

I know were kind of off the topic of books and DVDs but I just finished reading "The Filipino Martial Arts" as taught by Dan Inosanto, its an older book but I really recommend it to anyone interested in Filipino martial arts or JKD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
                                Octavio of Poteet's brand is kind of a cock... He goes out of his way to make political attacks against other JKD practioners, and he seems to have no idea of what to do, God forbid, if his wing-chun trapping doesn't stop a high school wrestler from pulling a double-leg takedown... His Youtube videos are quite hillarious.

I recently attended a seminar of his in Ottawa, I used to do JKD concepts from the Dave Carnell lineage in the UK ( http://www.impactjkd.co.uk/ ), but this jkd was ultra-LARP.

He showed us an armblock to the neck that was supposed to stop someone shooting on you for a takedown. I wasn't convinced. Way to many people making money of the early works of Bruce Lee teaching gullible people techniques that would only work against a compliant assailant.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X