Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valko BJJ (Chicago)?

Greetings newbietown.

Toad44 here. In Chicago. At some point in 2010, work schedule, etc, permitting, I'm considering starting BJJ. I've heard good internet stuff about Valko's BJJ (http://valkobjj.com/). Has anybody heard anything or have experience there?

thanks!

Welcome to Bullshido!

Originally posted by toad44 View Post
    At some point in 2010, work schedule, etc, permitting, I'm considering starting BJJ.
    You might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful, as a new student in BJJ.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping

Maximizing what you get out of rolling

Protecting Yourself During Sparring

BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners
    Grappling Basic Principles

Advice for Noobs

10 Quick Tips for White Belts

Realistic Goals for Beginners

First Day Lesson

Fundamental 5

Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
    Nuggets of Advice
    Beginning BJJ
    (free e-course and e-book)
    The Journey to Blue Belt

BJJ Grrl's Dos and Don'ts
    Getting Started

I've heard good internet stuff about Valko's BJJ (http://valkobjj.com/). Has anybody heard anything or have experience there?
    I haven't heard anything specific about that gym, but I've certainly heard of Hannette Staack. She is one of the best female BJJ competitors around, and the current world champion at her weight. If she teaches there, that would indicate it's probably a good place to train.
    BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

thank you for the links - being bookmarked now!

am really getting psyched about starting up with MAs again. cheers

Comment

I personally have not trained there, however I live in Chicago and have also heard good things about the school. I am told from students at the location that Jay cares about his students getting better, and having competed against two of their students at competition he was at the edge of the mat coaching his student. Further, I saw him running from one match to the next to coach all of his students. From the several students of his that I have spoken with I have heard nothing but excellent things. Hopefully that is of some value to you.

Comment

terrific! thanks!

where do you train?

Comment

I trained for a while at Gracie Barra in Lincoln square, but I did not like it there and stopped training there. Currently I am not training BJJ very much, I drill with a brown belt from Carlsen's who teaches at the LA Boxing I'm at where I mostly work on Muay Thai. I've thought about training at Valko's myself, but I am a little short on money

Comment

bummer. used to live right by the Barra on Lincoln and worked out at Degerberg (Thai, boxing, some submission wrestling)...

I'll let you know how it goes. Probably wouldn't start until Feb...

Comment

I was in chicago this summer, and felt like training a bit, so I went to an open mat of Valko's and was impressed. Very nice guys, no ego, competition oriented, and good instruction.
                A black belt, brown belt, and several purple belts were rolling around, so the skill is there.

Good luck

Comment

thanks Liam

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X