Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injured rib

Originally posted by Holly Jolly JavaFan View Post
    An arm bar attacks the elbow joint by hyper extending it. This can cause a variety of injuries depending on how hard it is applied, if it's cranked, if the person being armbared doesn't tap, etc.

Generally it goes like this.

1) arm is fully extended, nothing happens
    2) arm begins to be hyper-extended, causing pain in the elbow joint
    3) more extension, causing damage and swelling to the joint and surrounding ligaments and tendons
    4) screw tapping, that's for wimps = elbow pops, yay for ~ 2 week recovery time.
    4) I AM A MAN! GIVE ME MORE! = elbow pops again, possibly dislocating elbow joint. Do you have insurance?
    5) I know I should tap, but damn it I have a reputation as an undefeated street fighter to uphold! = possible break in the radius and/or ulna or a REALLY nasty dislocation.

Moral, tap often NEWB.

I have also seen people's shoulder's get screwed up with armbars and one time someone tear their pectoral muscle when they where arm barred while face down. This is pretty rare however.
    yeah what happened was that I thought I could escape out of it but realized it was impossible. It had nothing to do with pride.

Right now I'm dealing with a snapped rib (I thought it was bruised but its been almost four weeks) so everytime I try to hit the bag my right lower rib hurts. It teaches me a lesson to never spar with a man with more expierence and weighs 60 pounds more then me. I have not been to class in almost a month and it sucks! Any tips?

Originally posted by karateman911 View Post
    yeah what happened was that I thought I could escape out of it but realized it was impossible. It had nothing to do with pride.
    Like I said sometimes it's pride, other times it's someone cranking it.

Right now I'm dealing with a snapped rib (I thought it was bruised but its been almost four weeks) so everytime I try to hit the bag my right lower rib hurts. It teaches me a lesson to never spar with a man with more expierence and weighs 60 pounds more then me. I have not been to class in almost a month and it sucks! Any tips?
    1) Go to a doctor, make sure it isn't broken
    2) PRICE - Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (you don't really need to elevate a rib, but it's a good acronym to know for general injuries)
    3) Anti-inflammatory medicine is usually a good thing.
    4) Did I mention go see a doctor and take it easy til it heals?

Comment

A broken rib can pierce your lung which can endanger your life. Drowning in your own blood while struggling to breath sucks.

However, I seriously doubt you "snapped" your rib since it's been 4 weeks. Regardless, if you have not already done so, get yourself checked out by a doctor sooner than later.

I'll be moving most of your posts and some of the replies to a different thread soon since this thread is rapidly becoming all about your injuries, rather than a general description of those that occur while training BJJ. I'm not doing this out of malice, nor will the thread be moved to Trollshido. A little thread drift that is close to the topic is fine, but it's likely that this discussion will continue and this thread is not specifically about your injuries.
      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

If you have a truly 'snapped' rib your problems will go way beyond hitting a bag. Almost any movement of your core will cause intense pain, including breathing. As stated that is a potentially life threatening injury.

Another common injury is a strain of the intercostal muscles that run through your ribcage. This can also be very painful and depending on the severity can sideline you for months. A good PT can accelerate the healing process through manual manipulation, heat therapy, stretching, and light core exercises.

Either way you really should be resting, I tore something in my ribcage a while back and it was at least a month and a half before I was good to go again. My PT didn't want me doing anything that would work my core (including hard breathing). As you probably guessed this means essentially everything that counts as exercise.

Rib injuries suck dude. Go see a doc and get some PT referrals if you want to try to come back quicker.

As far as your elbow goes you need to know your training partners. I can usually tell pretty quick whether I can trust my partner enough to try to work out of a submission or whether I should tap as soon as its getting close.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinHarry View Post
          If you have a truly 'snapped' rib your problems will go way beyond hitting a bag. Almost any movement of your core will cause intense pain, including breathing. As stated that is a potentially life threatening injury.

Another common injury is a strain of the intercostal muscles that run through your ribcage. This can also be very painful and depending on the severity can sideline you for months. A good PT can accelerate the healing process through manual manipulation, heat therapy, stretching, and light core exercises.

Either way you really should be resting, I tore something in my ribcage a while back and it was at least a month and a half before I was good to go again. My PT didn't want me doing anything that would work my core (including hard breathing). As you probably guessed this means essentially everything that counts as exercise.

Rib injuries suck dude. Go see a doc and get some PT referrals if you want to try to come back quicker.

As far as your elbow goes you need to know your training partners. I can usually tell pretty quick whether I can trust my partner enough to try to work out of a submission or whether I should tap as soon as its getting close.
          Thanks for the advise dude. I'm thinking about going back next week but I wont be doing anything explosive, just light sparring.

Comment

Thanks for the advise dude. I'm thinking about going back next week but I wont be doing anything explosive, just light sparring.
            Well if it still hurts at all I wouldn't. Your ribs expand and contract with most of the movements you would do in sparring. And also the movements you do when you aren't sparring. Like I said rib injuries suck.

My PT wanted me to wait until I was completely pain free. While I was healing I did light core exercises and once the pain was gone he put me through a couple more intense (but not training level) workouts before he cleared me to start again, if its a soft tissue injury it will be easy to aggravate if it isn't fully healed, I had a setback by trying to come back too quick.

Anyway good luck and if its bugging you after so long I'd see some professionals and play it safe training.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinHarry View Post
              Well if it still hurts at all I wouldn't. Your ribs expand and contract with most of the movements you would do in sparring. And also the movements you do when you aren't sparring. Like I said rib injuries suck.

My PT wanted me to wait until I was completely pain free. While I was healing I did light core exercises and once the pain was gone he put me through a couple more intense (but not training level) workouts before he cleared me to start again, if its a soft tissue injury it will be easy to aggravate if it isn't fully healed, I had a setback by trying to come back too quick.

Anyway good luck and if its bugging you after so long I'd see some professionals and play it safe training.
              What kind of core exercises would you reccomend?

It just sucks that I'm not training, so I'm gaining fat and not cutting it.

Comment

Excised from: what are injuries common to BJJ classes? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

What kind of core exercises would you reccomend?

It just sucks that I'm not training, so I'm gaining fat and not cutting it.
                  Have you even seen a doctor? Fractured rib is no joke, failure to let it heal could lead to a lifetime of pain management.

Comment

go to a fucking doctor dude. he will either give you some harden up pills or get you doing something to fix it. it isnt snapped, cos if it was, youd be in a SHITLOAD of pain.

and as for sparring big experienced people, guess i didnt get the memo. (i got a slight fracture on my rib from that second vid btw, im a pussy for body shots)
                    YouTube- Alex gets beaten up
                    YouTube- sparvin1

Comment

Yeah dude, body shots are probably worse then face shots. Face shots (most of the time) break your morale, where as body shots hurt like hell and wear you out.

As Bas Rutten says, When your knocked down by a body shot you feel the whole thing, when your knocked out cold, you wake up in the dressing closet, take an advil, and your fine.

When I first began training I used to foolishly think that face-shots were everything, and on my fourth or fifth day of training I remember sparring with a guy and hitting him in the face and thinking "Oh, I got him in the face, yeah! Face shots FTW!" but then I went for the attack again and he gave me a nice body shot from which I felt pain for the next 3 or 4 weeks. I still was going to training but I still felt the pain which reminded me of my naivity.

PS: What would the doctor do? Last time I went for pain and he just told me to take Advil everyday. Wouldn't the body just heal it naturally?
                      Last edited by karateman911; 12/18/2009 1:09am, .

Comment

Kid,

Don't take this the wrong way, or maybe take it the wrong way but take it as the voice of experience booming down like the voice of God, but either way, listen to what the fuck people are telling you on here. There are a number of individuals on here with years and years of experience.

Go to a Doctor. Get checked out. STFU and learn.

Comment

PS: What would the doctor do? Last time I went for pain and he just told me to take Advil everyday. Wouldn't the body just heal it naturally?
                          Ideally, you should have asked him if its when its okay to go back to training and how long will the pain continue before going for the next consultation.

Given a doctor has examined you, I'd say it is probably a deep tissue bruise.
                          A masseuse should be able to speed recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Whathappened View Post
                            Ideally, you should have asked him if its when its okay to go back to training and how long will the pain continue before going for the next consultation.

Given a doctor has examined you, I'd say it is probably a deep tissue bruise.
                            A masseuse should be able to speed recovery.
                            Well, right now I'm taking advil, and using heat-ice patches. They make the injured feel comforable.

Comment

1st post eva!!! No really, I've lurked here a while but never had anything to add. I don't like to post if I can't add anything.

But since I'm suffering from the exact same injury right now I can tell you what the Doc just told me. I don't have insurance and didn't really want to go to the doctor because it's expensive (plus I hate going to the doctor/hospital), but my training partner insisted. When explaining this to the doctor he told me that a snapped rib can be or easily become life threatening, go see a doctor immediately. He said a cracked or bruised rib just sucks and there's really nothing they can do for it anyway (They don't even rap them anymore, when'd that happen?). He also told me that I would KNOW if it was broken. He said you would know immediatly (it took me about 30 mins to notice the back of my side hurt more than it should).

He told me take it easy 'till it quit hurting, take Advil like the back of the bottle says and don't sleep on that side.

No way you can really know it's not a pulled muscle or something though, so the doctor is always the -best- idea. (Even if you hate it).

BTW Backyard Crappling + Flying Armbar = F'n Stupid.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X