Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too good to be true?

http://evolve-mma.com/

Daring claims all around, biggest MMA facility in Asia, 450 years of elite experience, champions from Sityodtong MT Camp, Renzo Gracie Gi BJJ. Their 1 year blue belt program cost us$3,400 - unlimited classes. Head of the facility is Rafael "Gordinho" Correa de Lima- Professor, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Is this for real?

I couldn't find anything on it in there site, maybe you could link to the spot, but the "1 year blue belt program" sounds fishy to me. You shouldn't be able to guarantee a belt, just because they payed X amount of money.

Comment

http://www.graciebarra.com.br/blackbelts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Burningman View Post

Daring claims all around, biggest MMA facility in Asia, 450 years of elite experience, champions from Sityodtong MT Camp, Renzo Gracie Gi BJJ. Their 1 year blue belt program cost us$3,400 - unlimited classes. Head of the facility is Rafael "Gordinho" Correa de Lima- Professor, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Is this for real?
        Lol I walk pass their gym frequently when going for my lunch break...

They are located in a mall and have a relatively huge premise... but their fees are ridiculous...there are same promotional videos on youtube where they showcase their world-class talented coaches/trainers...

Comment

They dont market the blue belt program online. I was there and had a free session with Rafael himself who gave me a nicely done brochure that says blue belt program. Rafael was very professional and helpful. The blue belt is not guaranteed of course but the program is meant to help you get it. I know the NYC guys dont pay that much for their renzo gracie blue belt program. It is abit on the high side.

Comment

So they don't promise a blue belt in a year, they charge a lot for a high-intensity program with several high-level BJJ black belts, and their facility is large.

You cannot see it, Burningman, but there is a large metaphorical gun to the head of this thread. Think of yourself as pleading for its life in MABS. Justify this as worthy of investigation, and be very convincing. If not, I have a suspicion that someone will pull the trigger. It won't be me; I don't have that power. But someone does.

Comment

The facility is not large and I have no idea it is high intensity training. I am awed by your metaphorical gun and metaphorically shit in my metaphorical gi.
              I'd like to hear from anyone who actually trains there.

Comment

yay sityodtong FTW :D

Comment

I'd like to hear from anyone who actually trains there.
                  Then fucking go visit the damn gym, how hard is that?

Comment

Why are you asking? Shouldnt you be telling? Your the one who says that youve been there.

Comment

Are you kidding?

- They have 5 BJJ Blackbelts teaching there PERMANENTLY, Including Gordinho, who is a world champion
                      - They have even more MT fighters from Sityodtong camp teaching there PERMANENTLY, some of them World Champions with over 200 fights

- They divide the BJJ classes into blue and purple programs. The only thing that means is that you need to be at least a 3-stripe white (advanced beginner) to join the purple classes. They have over 30 people at some classes, so it does make a lot of sense.

- The belts are under Gordinho and the Renzo Gracie program, there are no gifts from those two

- They have BJJ greats and even high level MMA fighters coming to train or give seminars, including Rafael dos Anjos (UFC), Braga Neto (BJJ World Champion), Tinguinha, Gordo, Renzo Gracie, etc...

Is some of their marketing over the top? Maybe, yes.

Are they expensive? Yes, but they are not too expensive for the market as they just opened a new school at Far East Square that is over 12,000 sqft!
                      So it looks like there are enough people in Singapore (which is an expensive city) who can afford it and are happy to learn from some of the best teachers in Asia.

So in short: SHUT YOUR TRAP!

Comment

the op is sucha poopoohead.
                        this thread should be an example of how NOT to post just anything in MABS.

Comment

Seriously dude, did you just question Gordo?

That fancy guard people use to stop the guy from passing all the way to side control? All those sweeps and attacks there? He had a bit to do with that.

Im not entirely sure I would even question it if he had an ad saying he'd make you a black belt in 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cango View Post
                            Seriously dude, did you just question Gordo?

That fancy guard people use to stop the guy from passing all the way to side control? All those sweeps and attacks there? He had a bit to do with that.

Im not entirely sure I would even question it if he had an ad saying he'd make you a black belt in 1 year.
                            The instructor at Evolve is Gordinho, Gordo's little brother. No sense in questioning either though and Gordo was visiting Singapore just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Io Saturnalia View Post
                              Actually, ahwile back I was schooled on this little issue. Quite a few point out a Blue Belt isn't shit and you are still a beginner in their world. They also pointed out that a year, with the right program and practice, is not that rare as it appears to many outside of BJJ think.

So, if they do offer a Blue belt in a year we can draw no conclusion until, we talk to the school.

You know what?

I know what I'm going to do.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X