Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just started BJJ and realized I really suck at it. Any advice for a tall guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best advice:

Goal 1: Show up to class as often as possible.

Goal 2: Irrelevant, refer to goal 1.

Courtesy of a guy here http://www.facebook.com/notes/aesopi...s/207671361788

Comment

One thing about us tall guys. We have more arm to armbar and more neck to choke. Every body type has weaknesses and strengths, Guys with shorter arms are just tougher to armbar because there is less they have to defend and pullout when someone attacks it. Always try to keep your arms compact and tight when someone mounts you or is in half gaurd.

Comment

Taking notes after each class has really helped me remember movements or setups.

A more personal approach I take might be useful for you: as a new dude it's obvious I'm going to get dominated really hard for ages. Fellow white belts at my club often get frustrated/exhausted trying to pull off submissions on higher belts during rolling time. To me this is stupid a lot of the time: I'm going to get beaten, I should be working on my defense. There's no point in knowing a thousand submissions if I can't move out of side control or mount to pull them off, but other new guys are more concerned with 'winning' the roll then improving their grappling.

For ME the easiest way to feel improvement is to feel less dominated, last longer and generate better positions for myself. I'm sure other people think differently, so YMMV.

Comment

For my first 3 months i really sucked, and i trained twice a week. Then i got so dominated by a guty i got really peeved. I trained twice a week at the club and every night at home for 2 weeks, my standard leapt up. I still sucked, but what i was doing was no longer reacting like a spider having a drug induced fit, but now was recognisable as bad bjj. One day i will not suck, hopefully. 3 weeks, hell 3 months is NOTHING in Bjj

Comment

Breathe
            Control your hips
            Try to be aware of where all your limbs are.
            Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Comment

Aesopian,

Hahaha. I like that. It's so true and simple.

Comment

Limbs in, control hips, subs are useless if you can't get out of guard, mount or side control... all good stuff to remember. Show up and focus on the small stuff first. Got it. (And triangles, triangles, triangles.)

Comment

It takes a while, it does not really matter what size you are. Eventually you will get good.

Comment

Originally posted by AnvilofCrom View Post
                    One thing about us tall guys. We have more arm to armbar and more neck to choke. Every body type has weaknesses and strengths, Guys with shorter arms are just tougher to armbar because there is less they have to defend and pullout when someone attacks it. Always try to keep your arms compact and tight when someone mounts you or is in half gaurd.
                    Oh yeah, V true all that.... also ankles and lower legs too are prime candidates for going for when rolling with someone taller... Ankle locks have turned tables more than once when I've been rolling with someone taller than me.

Also, check out the link that Aesopian put on his response.... the last one on there

"Giving a higher belt some trouble (even if just holding him in your closed guard so he can't pass.)"

Is a primary but very worthy goal... it's a good thought to have as it kind of prevents the "oh he's a <insert higher grade here> belt - might as well submit now then..." train of thought..

And remember - repetition is the mother of perfection.

Comment

Exiled - if you stick with bjj long enough you will be a pain in the ass to deal with. Lots of leverage and you can have a sick open guard. I hate tall lanky people...

Aeso - you = gay (in other words, ho brah!)

Ahhh yes, its good to be back!
                      :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                      Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                      Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

I think that lanky guys can have the most dynamic game, especially when fighting off their backs. I am below average stature and find longer limbed guys to be a different problem. Don't try to apply little guys techniques to you style, its just gonna frustrate you eg. butterfly guard instead of feet on hips control. Try to learn new stuff with guys of a similar build to you then try it on shorter/stockier guys. You may be suprised at how different it feels. As has been mentioned, triangles are your friend, as are some of the more rubber guard type stuff like omoplatas and gogoplatas.
                        Don't be put off if it appears that people are developing faster than you - thats the way it goes sometimes. Try to research the theory as much as possible so you don't get caught out in sweeps or submission that you have never seen - its much easier to block a move than it is to apply it.
                        Give it time as the learning curve of BJJ is steep due to the aliveness of training coupled with the huge range of techniques available.
                        Good luck :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X