Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching in Toronto :) Hello

Hello Everyone

New here, obviously. Always been interested in studying a martial art but never had the oppertunity growing up. Currently I am 27 years old and have decided as one of my goals to do this.

I am looking for something to study with an emphisis on technique and sparring. I did Muay thai once and could not handle the work out sessions, and have learned that I can not stress my body to that extent. Which is why i am here seeking your advice on a very chilling Dojo to learn some new skills. I do not want to rule out phyical training, but I would enjoy a simple style warm up, stretching etc.

Some styles I am interested in are BJJ, ju sitsu, judo or karate although I am open to anything that is a good experiance.

Body type tall and thin.

....maybe you should try yoga?

Conversely, if you change your mind and actually want the invaluable workout that comes with any worthwhile arts, which appeals to you more? Beating someone bloody, or throwing them on their face and choking them?
    Soon-to-be BJJ sandbagger?

Comment

Fo' Shiz
      http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...77435633136772

Comment

try yoga? after you jackass, i didnt say i want 0 phyical activity but muay thai is way to extream. Sorry if I have a condition.

Comment

Where in TO are you looking?

Comment

west end ideally

Comment

Originally posted by iSHACK View Post
              west end ideally
              Well Gojujitsu.ca just moved a bit but they're still near Islington and Lakeshore.

It's a mixture of Karate, Judo, and ju jitsu both traditional and some of that new fangled BJJ stuff

And if you keep going west into Mississauga there' www.kombatarts.com

Which has a Plethora of stuff to choose from.

They're both good.

ohh and also http://www.xtremecouture.ca/

and www.torontobjj.com

All of them have pros and cons. It depends on what you're looking for

Comment

try yoga? after you jackass, i didnt say i want 0 phyical activity but muay thai is way to extream. Sorry if I have a condition.
                You've obviously never done yoga.

Comment

Yoga makes you fart

Comment

I dont see where there is any sparring involved with yoga

Comment

I dont see where there is any sparring involved with yoga
                      No sparring, but it's a hell of a workout. One of our Judo instructors is a yogi, and it supplements our training nicely.

Comment

ok guys are im still drawin thin on the suggestions haha.

I do have a sudden interest in Karate tho, what would be the best form of it that could actuallybe used in self defense.

Comment

Kyokushin, but that would apparently be a little rough for you. Most other styles are very hit and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe View Post
                            Well Gojujitsu.ca just moved a bit but they're still near Islington and Lakeshore.

It's a mixture of Karate, Judo, and ju jitsu both traditional and some of that new fangled BJJ stuff

And if you keep going west into Mississauga there' www.kombatarts.com

Which has a Plethora of stuff to choose from.

They're both good.

ohh and also http://www.xtremecouture.ca/

and www.torontobjj.com

All of them have pros and cons. It depends on what you're looking for
                            Listen to this man. Tell him more about what you're looking for.
                            What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Talk to oni-san (rummage around the Traditional Japanese forum and click his name). He's in Toronto and has done CLF Kung Fu with competitive sanshou kickboxing, boxing, Kyokushin, and good Shotokan Karate all in Toronto.

P.S. Do you have a medical condition or are you just out-of-shape? I say that because if it's the latter, most instructors would rather you try your best to keep up, but just take a quick breather if you really think you're going to puke/die. Things will not stay like that for very long if you're consistent and stick with it.
                              Last edited by maofas; 12/12/2009 12:34pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X