Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

facepalm! instant kill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

facepalm! instant kill!

Myth. The nose, being made of cartillage, will absorb a blow. A strong enough impact (as in baseball bat to the face or head-on car crash; I have doubts about whether or not a human being could generate that level of force unaided) could splinter the skull around the nasal cavity and propel the shards brainward(wait, brainward?) , but I wouldn't worry about your skull imploding the first time somebody pops you in the nose, nor should you count on being able to drop a charging assailant with a palm heel of your own.

Comment

One of my friends told me about these and the first time i heard it nah it wot work because our nasal bones are soft thats why we can bend it a little . Ill believe this myth if we live in an alternate universe where our nasal bones has the same chemical composition just like our teeth or shin bone

Comment

It works quite well on TV.

Comment

it would seem not to make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, to have a deadly spike of bone, poised ready to pierce your brain. for the same reason, i find dim mak to be very unlikely. it would be like having a bunch of "off switches" all over your body. just getting a massage or having sex would be like russian roullette

Comment

I was told that the way to make the "nose-brain embolism" effective, was to smash down on the bridge of the nose first, breaking and dislodging the nasal bones. Then, when you palm heel upwards, the dislodged bones can enter the frontal lobe.

Does it work? I dunno, it is all theory and conjecture. I do know this: if you smash downward on the bridge of someone's nose, then palm heel the crap out of the bottom of their nose, it won't matter if their nasal bones penetrate the skull cavity. You will find it is a quick way to teach someone the error of their ways.

Comment

It's BS. Plain and simple.

The nasal bone, that is the spur of bone the nasal cartilage attaches to, if broken, would enter the sinus cavities, not the brain. This would be incredibly painful, and would most likely case a fair amount of bleeding. Add to this the increase in sinus pressure and you have a very bad day.

However, it's a far cry from fatal.
              I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak View Post
                One of my friends told me about these and the first time i heard it nah it wot work because our nasal bones are soft thats why we can bend it a little . Ill believe this myth if we live in an alternate universe where our nasal bones has the same chemical composition just like our teeth or shin bone
                If you can bend your nose bone you better start drinking milk now.
                "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by sainthamish View Post
                  It works quite well on TV.
                  I'm with saint on this one.

But seriously...if you can find the bone in this picture that would pierce the brain, you're a better man than I.

Comment

Originally posted by permahudef View Post
                    I'm with saint on this one.

But seriously...if you can find the bone in this picture that would pierce the brain, you're a better man than I.

The bit that really does it for me with that image - they felt that medical trained professionals would need to have the word 'UP' on the top of the X-ray.

For some reason, this has utterly obliterated any faith in the medical practice at all.....

But the 'instant death' by palm strike to nose is (as per shown on x-ray) a large amount of male genital expulsions (WANK by any other name).

After all, we've had millions of years of evolution - do you REALLY think natural selection would leave us vulnerable to such an obvious attack?

:suicide:

Comment

You guys are idiots. Hitting the nose upward has a nearly 100% kill rate.*

Spoiler:
                      when you use a 79 buick skylark moving at highway speed
                      And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatzami View Post
                        It's BS. Plain and simple.

The nasal bone, that is the spur of bone the nasal cartilage attaches to, if broken, would enter the sinus cavities, not the brain. This would be incredibly painful, and would most likely case a fair amount of bleeding. Add to this the increase in sinus pressure and you have a very bad day.

However, it's a far cry from fatal.
                        This is correct. You can break the spur with a downward blow, but the spur itself is far to small to penetrate the brain cavity.

The human body is tougher than most people realize.
                        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grinch View Post
                          The human body is tougher than most people realize.
                          That's why t3h_d34dly uses groin attacks, eye gouges and palmstrikes to the nose!

...oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMarquis View Post
                            The bit that really does it for me with that image - they felt that medical trained professionals would need to have the word 'UP' on the top of the X-ray.
                            Standard protocol. Imagine if it were something like a hand.

Originally posted by TheMarquis View Post
                            After all, we've had millions of years of evolution - do you REALLY think natural selection would leave us vulnerable to such an obvious attack?
                            We are built to withstand attacks that come down (e.g. how untrained people or other apes fight) better than attacks that come up. Our thick foreheads, brow ridges and recessed eyes are pretty good for attacks that come down. Attacks that come up tend to hit the jaw and throat. Uppercut, anyone?

I'm also thinking that a blow that comes down is going to glance off the nose better than a blow coming up, based on it's shape.

Comment

I think this looks pretty realistic to what happens. The guy gets his nose crushed in and is still living (before being shot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOCXeFlX3U

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X