X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omoplatypus
    replied
    Originally posted by keod1966 View Post
    Hello all. I just relo'd to Chicago from FL. I've been involved with Martial Arts on and off for 20 years but consider myself a beginner. I've trained in Hapkido, Kyokushin-Jitsu under Shihan Gassner in St Louis and S.C.A.R.S system in the Navy. I've been training on my own for last two years and need to get back into a Dojo so I can hit something that hits back. I like the Kyokushin style the best and am looking for a Dojo but I am open to other styles too. I'm more interested in the quality of the instruction than the particluar style. Thanks
    YouTube- gooble gobble

Leave a comment:

replied
    or..find a respectable gym.

Leave a comment:

• elgadaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by keod1966 View Post
    Hello all. I just relo'd to Chicago from FL. I've been involved with Martial Arts on and off for 20 years but consider myself a beginner. I've trained in Hapkido, Kyokushin-Jitsu under Shihan Gassner in St Louis and S.C.A.R.S system in the Navy. I've been training on my own for last two years and need to get back into a Dojo so I can hit something that hits back. I like the Kyokushin style the best and am looking for a Dojo but I am open to other styles too. I'm more interested in the quality of the instruction than the particluar style. Thanks

Leave a comment:

replied
    Why not this place?

http://www.mtcmma.com/

there is also this one:

http://www.flomma.com/

I would check them both out, I'd go to one if I had the time, I barely can make 2x per week.

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    Team Curran looks bad to the bone. I've been to CL a couple of times and its a rough trip, especially in winter. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    It's not really a school because he does not charge money for other than rent on the dojo. It's not his day job anymore so he just trains who he wants to train. When I left he was in the process of moving it to his house so he keeps the groups small. He is a great instructor and perhaps one of the top practioners in the country. It's very kata light. More sparring and hard core conditioning like you see on you tube. He has a chriorpractic practice in the SL so you can probaly track him down that way. The class is mostly adults a couple of teens and women. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    Thanks for the info. I might end up going that route. I found one credible guy in N. Chicago. Who knows I might try something new.

Leave a comment:

• Sri Hanuman
    replied
    http://teamcurran.com/

We have Team Curran, they're pretty kick ass.
    The down side is that they're in Crystal Lake, and a real bitch to get to.

Muay Thai and BJJ wise, Chicago is well off.

Leave a comment:

• ZenOfAnger
    replied
    .... Kyokushin-Jitsu under Shihan Gassner in St Louis
    First off welcome to bullshido!

Secondly, how was this kyokushin school quoted above? I live in the St. Louis area, and I am curious as to what the training is like there. Hard sparring like in the videos I have seen on youtube, or is more kata/light sparring oriented?

Regards,

ZoA.

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    I'm in Northbrook and there is really nothing around here.

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    Thanks KO'd. The hardest part for me is finding a decent dojo. There are just so many McDojo's out there catering to the masses. I understand that is where the money but....

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    Do you have any recomendations.

Leave a comment:

• keod1966
    replied
    just S.C.A.R.S. Its a hybrid that was developed by Jerry Peterson. Do you have any suggestions. So far, I have not found anything around here.

Leave a comment:

• Sri Hanuman
    replied
    Welcome. Where in Chicago are you at?
    I'm around the Great Lakes and NW suburbs area. I haven't seen any kyokushin schools around here, unfortunately, but we do have a few good MMA training gyms in the area.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X