Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how tough is Steven Seagal, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• niteai
    replied
    i think your all jealous of him

i wonder who he is going to help next

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Rough as usual babelfish translation of DCS's bolded Portuguese for those of us like myself who cannot read it. I've fixed it up it best I could based on context.

Maybe DCS/Hiro could verify?

Silva:
    "confessed that he did not learn with Steven Seagal"
    Machida:
    "my father (Yoshizo) passed me some kicks to train, and spoke to use in sparring, but always very carefully because this is a kick that hurts,"
    and
    "The approach of the two was in the reality a maneuver of marketing produced for the agent of Anderson, Jorge Joinha, to give greater visibility to its champion in the American media. "
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/12/2011 11:08pm, .

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    This was posted to Wikipedia days ago:

On May 5, 2011, Seagal appeared on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer and spoke about his relationship with Silva and Machida as well his training methods. He explained: "Anderson had originally sent me a little postcard saying, 'Please teach me your lethal stuff'. Because a lot of my students know that a lot of the stuff I have is punishing or effective, shall we say. They left a number, and the number was Jorge Guimaraes, the manager of those guys in Black House. He said, ‘Yeah, man, the guys all want to learn from you.’ I went over there and began". In regards to his teaching of the kicks he said: "With Lyoto, I came in probably five days before the (Couture) fight, something like that, started working on different kinds of elbows, different kinds of punching, different kinds of feetwork... but particularly the kick. I think against a lot of the guys who have spent a lot of their energy on wrestling, they’re not exactly what I would call great strikers. The kick can be very effective. This kick is different. This kick, the thing that's deceptive about it is that, the normal (technique) where you lift up your knee and you kick, this one I'm kind of trying to teach the guys to lead with the foot. I don’t want to say too much about it because I don't want to give it away completely to the world. It's different and it’s hard to see. It's very difficult to see coming, and that's how my guys have been successful with that."[14]
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/12/2011 10:55pm, .

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Boy I hope I'm the first person to post this..

If you need help humanizing the man a bit, make sure to watch up to point where his wife calls him on the cell and he wishes his son goodnight.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/12/2011 10:46pm, .

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Enough to read some occasional easy text, but not enough to maintain a complex conversation.
    Maybe you could understand:

Interview with Anderson Silva (Feb 23 2011)
    Source: http://www.tatame.com.br/2011/02/23/...om-os-melhores
    (w/video of the interview)

Interview with Lyoto Machida (May 1 2011)
    Source: http://www.tatame.com.br/2011/05/01/Lyoto-Machida
    (starting at 1:15)

And:
    Source: Portal do Vale Tudo Magazine #15, pp 25-26

(emphasis mine)

Leave a comment:

• Sri Hanuman
    replied
    Originally posted by Petter View Post
    Has Seagal ever had a fight?
    Other than punching hookers, he frequently battles diabetes.

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Hiro, do you understand Portuguese?
    Enough to read some occasional easy text, but not enough to maintain a complex conversation.

But yeah, I read a few issues of Tatame over the winter.

I think they have old issues online for free, or something like that. Take a look, if you like! It's not really a good mag, though.

We’re talking about the same Steven Seagal who married his second wife before he divorced his first wife, who claims to be a reincarnated Lama, who is surrounded by weird mafia tie rumours, &c., right?

He may have some martial arts skills, he may even be able to fight (I don’t suppose we have evidence one way or another), but not a bullshitter?
    Well, so I was misinformed, then.
    But, hey, at least his movies are mildly entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Hiro, do you understand Portuguese?

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    replied
    It's easy to pick on Seagal because of his many flaws, but I don't think he is necessarily a bullshitter.
    We’re talking about the same Steven Seagal who married his second wife before he divorced his first wife, who claims to be a reincarnated Lama, who is surrounded by weird mafia tie rumours, &c., right?

He may have some martial arts skills, he may even be able to fight (I don’t suppose we have evidence one way or another), but not a bullshitter?

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    JCVD has a combined striking record (knockdown karate and kickboxing) of 20-2, according to Wikipedia. (Some people miss this because he was using his real name, Van Varenberg, rather than his stage name Van Damme, at that point.) Yes, it was a long time ago. Has Seagal ever had a fight?
    Not my business to prove or to defend; but with the early 80s movie toughsters, I tend to take ranks, especially if given before the actual movie career, more serious than fight records. It's easy to pick on Seagal because of his many flaws, but I don't think he is necessarily a bullshitter.

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    NOT about Glimmer Man.

But seriously, a 7th dan Aikido might have something to contribute more than a point-sparrer with model looks. Now, HOW MUCH in relation to what people already have in their repertoire, I cannot assess. But to write him off completely just because Gene Lebell tells some story, I would be careful.

I should maybe add, I think a pretty early interview in Tatame that I read said that Seagal was accompanying Anderson and Black House as an advisor for "Like Water", and in no other function. - But I cannot remember the issue or source. If you care to look, was something online.

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    replied
    Of all the guys in showbiz, apart from actual MMA fighters, I think Steven Seagal is the one most likely to bring some sort of asset to a fighter's game - as opposed to JCVD, Michael Dudikoff, etc.
    JCVD has a combined striking record (knockdown karate and kickboxing) of 20-2, according to Wikipedia. (Some people miss this because he was using his real name, Van Varenberg, rather than his stage name Van Damme, at that point.) Yes, it was a long time ago. Has Seagal ever had a fight?

Leave a comment:

• Tranquil Suit
    replied
    HP, please tell me you're trolling.

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    Stop insulting Seagal. He kind of reminds me of my mom on bad hair day.

But seriously, wasn't he quite some accoladed teacher before he enter the movie business?

I figure that for that, he needs to have some more than superficial skill.

(Glimmer Man, still one of my all-time favs.)

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    ...In 1989.
    Oh right, they aren't powerhouses of fitness today like Steven Seagal is and always has been.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X