Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how tough is Steven Seagal, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permalost
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenpo Kid View Post
    I do know that Mr. Segal is very good at what he does but he does not used aikido in his movies, he for the most part uses an American Kenpo technique called "deflecting hammer" or a slight variation which is what you see when he is rushed at by an adversary.
    That's just silly.

Leave a comment:

• Kenpo Kid
    replied
    I've never trained with or met the man. In addition, I am not a fan at all of aikido. I do know that Mr. Segal is very good at what he does but he does not used aikido in his movies, he for the most part uses an American Kenpo technique called "deflecting hammer" or a slight variation which is what you see when he is rushed at by an adversary. This kenpo technique is a basic technique which is the fourth technique that is taught to beginning white belts in preparation for their yellow belt test. I love how folks just oohh and ahhh over his fight scenes :-)

Leave a comment:

• No.1_Son
    replied
    Flail. Like a flail.

Leave a comment:

• bobyclumsyninja
    replied
    interesting fact.

In the 2.5 years since this thread started, Seagal's bawls have dropped another 2.5". Soon, he'll be able to wield them like a mace (pair of maces).

It's an uncanny statistic, like Lincoln/Kennedy numerical similarities, but gross.

Leave a comment:

• ChenPengFi
    replied
    I'd like to thank Steven Seagal for a lot of the moves I did here today.
    - Marcelo Garcia epic comment after winning BJJ Worlds today.

Leave a comment:

• theTRASHman
    replied
    Whats the deal with his CIA background? Has anyone ever heard him state this? I am not aware of him having any military background whatsoever. Has he ever claimed this?

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Seagal teaching Machida-kun the deadly - including The Kick.

Also, he reveals his Mongol samurai ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• bobyclumsyninja
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    -At an autograph signing in a mall, Dan Inosanto and Francis Fong stop by, and when Seagal shakes his hand, he also puts Dan in a joint lock. After this, he tries it on Fong, who slaps Seagal, knocks him over and he ends up on the ground. Fong commands Steven to stay down or he'll kill him, so Seagal stays on the ground. Who the hell puts Dan Inosanto in a joint lock in a mall for no reason?
    note to self: always give Seagal a pound.

Leave a comment:

• GulfCoast
    replied
    Originally posted by kenny_free View Post
    forget steven seagal, where can I learn zero gravity monkey ?ung fu?
    What the heck movie was that? I thought I had seen every cut-rate martial arts movie. Obviously, I musta missed one!

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    Okay, didn't know that. YOU GUYS READ TOO MUCH TMZ!!! :D

*Runs.*

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    This. I've also heard:
    -Got pissy with Donn Draeger, who was hired to be the sword adviser for a film that Steven was also working on (because Steven thinks he knows better than Donn about swords...yeah)

-Has quite a history of sexual harassment, including Jenny McCarthy during an audition.

-At an autograph signing in a mall, Dan Inosanto and Francis Fong stop by, and when Seagal shakes his hand, he also puts Dan in a joint lock. After this, he tries it on Fong, who slaps Seagal, knocks him over and he ends up on the ground. Fong commands Steven to stay down or he'll kill him, so Seagal stays on the ground. Who the hell puts Dan Inosanto in a joint lock in a mall for no reason?

-Broke Sean Connery's wrist while training him for Never Say Never Again.

-Steven's known for cranking on locks and doing random cupchecks for stuntmen on the set.

Leave a comment:

• Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Now, as to Seagal, what is he, really? A glorified dojo owner,
    who doesn't mind to exploit his fame for some shits and giggles with the MMA community?

That in particular doesn't make him look bad on my watch.

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    Originally posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    Claude Goetz's Centre National de Karate is still one of the better schools in Full Contact/American Kickboxing.
    While it isn't the "hardest" style of Kickboxing around, none of the competitioners coming out that school deserve the "point-sparrer" tag. Not now and not in the 70s or 80s.

IIRC, JCVD challenged Steven Seagal at a Sylvester Stallone party in the early 90s. Steven didn't took the challenge.
    Fair enough, but I hope you understand that my point was that I don't take the curricula of any the b-movie martial arts squad too seriously (Chuck Norris being the only exception). JCVD being a legit kickboxer would be something I would welcome.

Now, as to Seagal, what is he, really? A glorified dojo owner,
    who doesn't mind to exploit his fame for some shits and giggles with the MMA community?

That in particular doesn't make him look bad on my watch.

Leave a comment:

• Hiro Protagonist
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Maybe you could understand...
    Yeah, sure that's the point. I read a passage where there was a concrete reference to an upcoming documentary by/about Anderson for which Seagal had been hired as an advisor. (Which must have been "Like Water", I guess.)

As to THE KICK THAT SHOOK THE WORLD (TWICE),
    the hubbus made about it just shows how direly uneducated most MMA journalists are:

It's a common mai geri (sp?), which I think is tested for the first time when you get your Shotokan yellow belt.

So, no reason to discuss the nature of the entire affair.

To see a karate-man (Machida), and his sparring partner (Anderson) use a karate technique, well that shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

And that so many comment on this talking out of their asses,
    just shows how many athletes even today just train with very one-dimensional camps.

Leave a comment:

• Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Not my business to prove or to defend; but with the early 80s movie toughsters, I tend to take ranks, especially if given before the actual movie career, more serious than fight records. It's easy to pick on Seagal because of his many flaws, but I don't think he is necessarily a bullshitter.
    Claude Goetz's Centre National de Karate is still one of the better schools in Full Contact/American Kickboxing.
    While it isn't the "hardest" style of Kickboxing around, none of the competitioners coming out that school deserve the "point-sparrer" tag. Not now and not in the 70s or 80s.

IIRC, JCVD challenged Steven Seagal at a Sylvester Stallone party in the early 90s. Steven didn't took the challenge.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X