Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how tough is Steven Seagal, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most MA actors are probably like most Martial Artists, period. Those who study live styles like...Chuck Norris (BJJ)
    Chuck initially studied Tang Soo Do during his kickboxing days I believe (followed by TKD and shito ryu). He has since cross trained in BJJ but he trained t3h r33l KMAs back in the day.

Comment

I guess that I can conclude that the one thing Seagal's always going to have going for him is the fucking nutriding fans.

Comment

no confirmation for or against the karate and judo dan grades??

Comment

Originally posted by Mtripp View Post
          His claim was Gene assaulted him. That caused the blacklisting.

When Gene choked him the first time, Steven said he wasn't ready. When he told Gene to go ahead the second time, he attacked Gene's groin. The rest you know.
          so he sprawled & choked him out of course, just like he does to everyone. makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tgace View Post
            As to his pistol skills...

I saw his new television show recently. In one scene he did put two rounds touching on a paper target head shot. Which while a nice display of fundamentals is far from proof of expertise. How he performs under pressure with multiple targets, reloads, movement, moving targets etc. is unknown.
            Was this from a bench rest? what range? double tap or individual aimed shots? I won't be giving him any credit w/o irrefutable proof.

Comment

Originally posted by nightowl View Post
              Chuck initially studied Tang Soo Do during his kickboxing days I believe (followed by TKD and shito ryu). He has since cross trained in BJJ but he trained t3h r33l KMAs back in the day.
              Yeah, I was curious about the post myself. Chuck was a serious kickboxer centuries before anyone had even heard of BJJ. I'm sure that Chuck could dust Seagal, no sweat. Of course, he's not match for Techno Viking... :qgreenjum

Comment

Despite the overdone internet meme, Norris was/is the real deal as far as I can tell. Yes his background style was Tango Soo Do and such, but I don't think KMAs were in they state they are today when he trained...as evidenced by his use of said styles and skills in the early kickboxing circuits.

Comment

It was in the episode I posted above. They were playing "chase the bullet hole" at 7 yards. Seagal put a hole in the head (dead center, to his credit, perfect head shot) of a human outline target. The deputy put one maybe two inches above and an inch left, still well inside the head outline (the object of the game is to put your shot through the hole that's already there.) Seagal put his next shot right next to his first one; I don't remember whether they actually touched but they were very close and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were touching. As time went on, there were editing jumps, but you could clearly see Seagal's small group maybe 2-3 inches across and the other guy's shots beginning to cloud out around it.

No double taps or hammers as far as they showed, and no movement, draw, etc. But good, if not truly exceptional, marksmanship.

He's pretty good for a cop and surprisingly good for an actor.

Comment

Black Belt Magazine interview with Seagal from 1990 where he discusses his kenjutsu training.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=V...njutsu&f=false

Note that he doesn't actually state the name of this secretive Zen priest sword teacher anywhere. It would be a major red flag if some krotty guy in Bumfuck, North Dakota was claiming this sort of thing on his website - and I don't see why Seagal should be held to a differing standard...

A fair bit of other stuff in there that some of you guys might have an opinion on too...

Comment

Wasnt Seagal a CIA Black Op's Veteran? Or was it ex Navy Seal? Or was it Gambino Family Assassin? Or simply Buddha?

Comment

Originally posted by sainthamish View Post
                        Wasnt Seagal a CIA Black Op's Veteran? Or was it ex Navy Seal? Or was it Gambino Family Assassin? Or simply Buddha?
                        Yes.

YouTube- Steven Seagal Funniest Compilation Ever Made Must See !!!!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

my suggestion: 1) verify the issue of Steven Seagal'sjudo dan grade, if yes, 2) invite him to bullshido 3) infuriate him by granting a 'judo blackbelt' tag and ignoring the aikido 7th dan (i like aikido but that would be hilarious...)

Comment

Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                              I don't see why Seagal should be held to a differing standard...
                              Disclaimer: I don't care about Seagal and never have. I didn't start Aikido because of him and if I had known what he was doing was a style of Aikido, I probably wouldn't have investigated the art any further. I don't like his lines.

I started Aikido because the style's lines were crisp; the techniques were sharp. Seagal's technique doesn't have the edge that I like. So, my following defense isn't meant to celebrate his Aikido or him.

My history is five or six years in a "hard" style followed by five or four years solo kata work. (it's total 11 yrs) No rank to speak of.

In response to the question above, Seagal is held to a different standard because his technique is out there in full view. We require lineage for those whose technique is not open and requires some sort of credibility. Seagal is comparable to someone who wins the UFC in regard to setting an art's standard.

Win the UFC, it's no longer "respect him because he trained under prof. X." It's now"respect the guys he trains."

Seagal, love him or hate him, made it to the top of a mountain. Which mountain? I don't know. But he now gets a free pass on his training history because of that.

Now, that doesn't mean that you have to or should respect him. If you find his mountain to be unappealing, then you reject everything. It doesn't matter who trained him because you reject it.

That's my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Jude View Post
                                Was this from a bench rest? what range? double tap or individual aimed shots? I won't be giving him any credit w/o irrefutable proof.
                                Saw the show last night.

They were standing up at an "informal" outdoor range. (i.e. plinking...)

The distance was a whopping, long distance record shaterring, Carlos Hathcock boner inducing, Simo Haya shaming, Vasilii Zaytsev face palming...

...ten feet.

Yeah. Ten feet.:seppuku:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X