Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how tough is Steven Seagal, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Still, he got what he deserved.
    I wonder if he really, seriously believed that he could extend his ki into his neck to make himself invulnerable to chokes? Maybe he was actually taught that by one of his masters as a 'secret, high-level technique'? I dunno.

If this was the case, after getting over the feeling of 'Oh shit! My deadly let me down!', I can imagine him rationalizing it to himself that he was only choked out because Judo Gene, being more experienced and higher-ranking in the martial arts, had a much higher ki level than himself...

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Still, he got what he deserved.

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Originally posted by Little Clown of Bethlehem View Post
    Do better against Gene Lebell? Nope.
    Keep my fat mouth shut when Gene Lebell is talking? I think I could manage that.

The sad thing is that "I got choked out by Gene Lebell" and "Donn Draeger once ruined me with a bokken" should both be stories you'd be proud to tell.
    I suspect that Seagal wants to be remembered as 'The Bruce Lee of Aikido', or some shit like that and figures that widespread knowledge of his defeats will diminish his status as a 'legendary' and ground-breaking martial artist.

Basically, he wants to be the very best, like no-one ever was... :new_icecr

That said, I have no reason to believe that SS couldn't irimi-nage my head from my shoulders.

So, just to clarify, Mtripp - Seagal was on set, talking with his dick out to the stuntmen, and he had no idea who Gene LeBell was/is?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Keep my fat mouth shut when Gene Lebell is talking? I think I could manage that.

The sad thing is that "I got choked out by Gene Lebell" and "Donn Draeger once ruined me with a bokken" should both be stories you'd be proud to tell.
    Without a doubt. I wouldn't be ashamed to be choked out by Gene Lebell. I know I'd certainly learn a lot from that. But Seagal on the other hand..... I think I have a better chance of educating a brick wall.

Leave a comment:

• Res Judicata
    replied

True, that.

Draeger is one of those guys who you should know about if you do JMA. He's pretty much everything Seagal wanted to be -- the white American guy who went to the East learned ... everything -- Judo, koryu weapon arts, etc. He taught and trained 1964 Judo gold medalist Inokuma weight training! Except, of course, Draeger could actually fight.

This is, apparently, Draeger. Wonder why Seagal would have had trouble with him ...

YouTube- Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu - Donn F. Draeger
    YouTube- Donn Draeger & Kaminoda Tsunemori Shindo Muso Ryu (1)

Leave a comment:

• Mtripp
    replied
    Originally posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    Not a segal apologist, I think he's a douche bag.

He got choked out and shit his pants (?) bla bla. I wonder how many people here could go up (or have the balls to) against the same guy and come out better.
    The more correct question is how many people would be fool enough to say "I can extend my ki into my neck and not be choked out," to anyone? Let alone Gene LeBell?

Then, clearly having no idea who the old man was who wanted to try, you would then turn it into a fight by grabbing for his balls?

Then after running your mouth in several interviews about how US martial artists are all afraid to fight you, Bob Wall comes up with 12 people who are more than willing, so you hide under your bed hoping it will all go away?

No bla bla, just facts.....

Leave a comment:

• Don Gwinn
    replied
    In other news, the Jefferson Parish police recently arrested a supervisor with the BATFE for damaging his hotel room across the street from the BATFE building in Metairie--by disabling the smoke alarms and replacing the bedroom door with his own custom plywood creation, complete with a glory hole padded with duct tape.

Fortunato, the goofball spokesman guy who drives Seagal around on the show, gave the public statement. Unfortunately, I fear they're done filming this season and haven't begun a second one yet, so we probably won't get to see Seagal's reaction to that particular scene. But there's always hope.

Leave a comment:

• Don Gwinn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vigilus
    replied
    Not a segal apologist, I think he's a douche bag.

He got choked out and shit his pants (?) bla bla. I wonder how many people here could go up (or have the balls to) against the same guy and come out better.

Segal is a pretty big guy who has still spent considerable time on a matt and instructing. Ya you could spend 20 years on a matt devoted to whacking people with one of those little gay fans but Im willing to bet Aikido or not segal would still kick the shit out of most of the people here. (Just saying)

He also seems to be a petty good shooter, minus the theatrics.

All the aikido mimbo jumbo aside someones physical size strength leverage and time fucking around still count.
    He's still a douche.

Leave a comment:

• Jim_Jude
    replied
    Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
    His muumuu-esque garment terminates mid-thigh. True story.

It should be noted that Draeger died in October '82 from cancer - the year in which the film in question (actually entitled 'The Challenge') was released (in July). I don't know for certain but I'd assume that the filming probably took place in late '81/early '82.

Also, according to this:
    http://www.blackbeltmag.com/donn_f_d...r/archives/681

This, to me places a rather large question mark over the accuracy of the story. Well, either that or Seagal gong sau'ed a very sick old man and was still defeated.
    Yeah, Draeger had been working for the Hopology Society, doing research into Pentjak Silat and Indo/Malay martial art for years. Apparently, he regretted not studying silat sooner, he liked a bit of what he found. He must have be able to find some rather effective non-LARPing shit, considering his high quality Judo/Karate/TSKSryu background...

man, if Seagal challenged a cancer-riddled Draeger (& then still got wupped), then he deserves the coveted Double Douche award!

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Originally posted by sainthamish View Post
    Crazy, stoopid and actually quite frumpy.....

Spoiler:
    His muumuu-esque garment terminates mid-thigh. True story.

It should be noted that Draeger died in October '82 from cancer - the year in which the film in question (actually entitled 'The Challenge') was released (in July). I don't know for certain but I'd assume that the filming probably took place in late '81/early '82.

Also, according to this:
    http://www.blackbeltmag.com/donn_f_d...r/archives/681

During the last of those journeys in 1979, misfortune struck Draeger and his team on the island of Sumatra. Visiting the Atjeh tribe, it appears that the entire group was somehow poisoned—perhaps deliberately—and as a result developed severe amebic dysentery requiring hospitalization. Although he recovered from the illness, Draeger began losing weight and grew increasingly weak. His legs swelled, causing great pain, and he found it difficult to walk or stand for very long. Serious training became difficult, then impossible.

After repeated visits to Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, it was discovered that Draeger had cancer of the liver. Returning to his home state to die, he stayed first with his half brother before moving into a veteran’s hospital. It was there, on October 20, 1982, exactly 92 years after his hero, Sir Richard F. Burton, died, that Donn F. Draeger passed away from metastasized carcinoma. He was buried at Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee, a 50-acre final home to more than 37,000 American veterans. Draeger’s grave lies in Section 4, Site 377.
    This, to me places a rather large question mark over the accuracy of the story. Well, either that or Seagal gong sau'ed a very sick old man and was still defeated.

Leave a comment:

• SaintHamish
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Damn, I always thought Seagal was crazy, but I didn't know he was stupid as well.

Crazy, stoopid and actually quite frumpy.....

Spoiler:

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Damn, I always thought Seagal was crazy, but I didn't know he was stupid as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jim_Jude
    replied
    Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Hahaha, fuck. That's absolutely hilarious. Busted - like a fox!

Here's an alternative account of the same incident:
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6823
    Okay, Steven Seagal actually challenged Donn Draeger to a fight. That takes the King-of-Douchedom cake.

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    Bwa-ha-ha!

Itto-ryu is the school of kenjutsu that forms much of the basis for modern kendo. The name means "one sword school". Ono-ha is a well-known branch of that school. It was founded around 1630 by a guy named Ono Jirouemon Tadaaki. "Ha" just means branch, in other words it's the branch created by Ono. The current head guy is named Sasamori.
    Hahaha, fuck. That's absolutely hilarious. Busted - like a fox!

Here's an alternative account of the same incident:
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6823

I'd like to add to this thread another story about Seagal that comes out of the time he was in Japan. This story was told to me by Dave Lowry who is a contributor to Black Belt magazine. Seagal was the martial arts coordinator on the set of the movie The Final Challenge with Scott Glen. Well another man was brought in to do the sword coordination. His name was Donn Draeger. For those of you familar with early American martial artists in Japan, Donn was accomplished in judo and kenjitsu. He studied many various forms of sword work. Well, Seagal though a fit and said he knew plenty about swords, Draeger then asked Seagal for his sword creditionals- who his instructors were. Seagal said Sesiki Abe (who is a 9th dan in aikido and study aikido sword which is about as ineffective as aikido is ) Dreager commented that Abe Sensei was not a sword instructor but an aikido instructor and THEN CAME THE CHALLENGE!!!!! Seagal's honor was hurt and asked for a sword fight with bokken (wooden swords).

A stage was set up and in the audience was non other then Toshiro Mifune (star of Seven Samurai). Three rounds were fought were Seagal declared himself a winner and in actuality Draeger had "cut him" with a very subtle technique both times. The third time Draeger made contact that supposedly caused Seagal to drop his sword in pain.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X