Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SonofSpiridonov
    replied
    Filipino Martial Arts. I thought anyone with a stick was a loser because they couldnt use it for real. Then i discovered that Escrimadors are utterly and totally devoid of anything resembling sanity.

Leave a comment:

• selfcritical
    replied
    I got annoyed anytime we spent any extended period of training doing segung-labo(also known as hubud, the generic FMA "block and pass" pattern drill).

Then I started doing arma, and the core move of several of my sparring partners was to get inside to finish with pommel strikes.

I have never once been hit with a pommel strike, and the way I avoid it looks EXACTLY like the drill.

Leave a comment:

• permahudef
    replied
    Originally posted by Sugar Plum Garry View Post
    You know, Taylor Tooley did soomoo!

He does Wing Chun. It was only a matter of time before one of them decided to post something stupid in this thread.

I await the argument shitstorm that will destroy anything good about the previous 23 posts.
    Oh yeah! I wonder if Taylor Tooley is related to Teila Tuli...Maybe they are like th Nogs!

Oh crap...I shoulda thought before I posted. I appologize to everyone for the incoming wall of text containing nothing but BS. I feel like I just accidentally knocked over a support beam for an outhouse in a mineshaft.

Leave a comment:

• Demon Eyes
    replied
    Judo. I thought, "Shouldn't be that tough. How hard is it to avoid a throw?"
    Pretty damn tough when one has no real expierance with throws and is paired up with a Judo black belt. I lost count how many times I did a flip with my arm at such an angle that the slightest twist would snap it.

Leave a comment:

• selfcritical
    replied
    Originally posted by DdlR View Post
    When I was about 21 I was explaining to a student why kicking a knife out of someone's hand would be such a boneheaded thing to try and why it would never work. My student then proceeded to kick a knife out of my hand.

I still think it's a boneheaded thing to try, but I've since learned never to say "never".
    I've seen a local capoeria instructor do this too. Da'mon follows action-movie physics.

Leave a comment:

• Flipper
    replied
    I used to think it was BS to get hit on the hands with just a little power and have your hand go limp and numb. That changed during one class when I was getting particularly lively in practice and my training partner hit the back of my hand (the one holding the stick. It wasn't sparring so I wasn't wearing hand protection) with a quick snapping strike (a witik to the FMA guys here) and my hand went totally numb. I almost dropped my stick and I could barely close the fingers around it. It wasn't that painful but the paralysis was impressive. If it were an SD situation, I'd be in trouble. It took a few minutes to get my hand back to normal and I got a whole new respect for precise medium power strikes to the right spot doing fight-stopping damage.

Leave a comment:

• G-Off
    replied
    Originally posted by permahudef View Post
    It was soomoo and joodoo...
    You know, Taylor Tooley did soomoo!

Originally posted by permahudef View Post
    Uhh...
    Really?
    He does Wing Chun. It was only a matter of time before one of them decided to post something stupid in this thread.

I await the argument shitstorm that will destroy anything good about the previous 23 posts.

Leave a comment:

• permahudef
    replied
    Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
    That throw was amazing. I got to see Asashoryu at a tournament recently. He's an incredible athlete. Which by the way may be one of the things I thought was BS until shown otherwise. Emmanuel Yarborough didn't leave a good first impression on me re: sumo.
    It was soomoo and joodoo...

Originally posted by Ben Grimm
    Karate. I used to think it was just Kata and kickboxing style Kumite. Then I starting learning Kata applications from my current teacher. Changed everything.
    Uhh...
    Really?

Leave a comment:

• MrGalt
    replied
    Originally posted by Sugar Plum Garry View Post
    I used to think Aikido could never, ever be used in any sort of resistive atmosphere. Then I watched Sumo.

(:20 into the video)
    YouTube- Asashoryu-sumo legend
    That throw was amazing. I got to see Asashoryu at a tournament recently. He's an incredible athlete. Which by the way may be one of the things I thought was BS until shown otherwise. Emmanuel Yarborough didn't leave a good first impression on me re: sumo.

Leave a comment:

• Jumpy-Cat
    replied
    capoeira hola... always thought it wqas way to falshy to pulloff... apparrently "never say never" :) also, scissor leg take downs :)

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Karate. I used to think it was just Kata and kickboxing style Kumite. Then I starting learning Kata applications from my current teacher. Changed everything.

Leave a comment:

• Asriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Sley View Post
    I once disarmed some one in a paint ball game by kicking the guy out of their hands, it kinda works some times...
    What was he doing with a guy in his hands during a paintball game?!? Hardly an appropriate time!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Tower
    replied
    Children being able to use throws on me.
    I knew that the throws worked and what we taught the kids could be used properly if the kids actually focused, but getting thrown by a nine-year old that I have a metre and 110 kilos advantage on was an experience. That's a 3.5 foot and 240 pounds advantage.
    It was an O-Uchi Gari and the kid that did is a natural but overcoming that much of a size difference is impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    Judo, all of it. When I was a kid getting smashed and crushed on the mat I always thought it was cuz the people doing it to me were bigger stronger and more aggressive.

Also boxing. It's just a sport and all they can do is punch right.

Leave a comment:

• Sley
    replied
    Originally posted by DdlR View Post
    When I was about 21 I was explaining to a student why kicking a knife out of someone's hand would be such a boneheaded thing to try and why it would never work. My student then proceeded to kick a knife out of my hand.

I still think it's a boneheaded thing to try, but I've since learned never to say "never".
    I once disarmed some one in a paint ball game by kicking the guy out of their hands, it kinda works some times...

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X