What you thought was BS but turned out to be otherwise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you thought was BS but turned out to be otherwise

Have you ever experience a technique, strategy, etc. that you thought was total MA BS, only to have your opinion of it change because it was done to you or you were able to actually pull it off?

if so, what was it and why did you change your opinion of it?

Good thread idea.

TKD in general, thought it was completely rubbish until i met one of my current instructors. Getting my jaw broken and arse kicked repetitively really flipped my world upside down.

Comment

Judo pins: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=judo+pins
      ..for both those reasons

Comment

The shin/head/fingers being used as a striking surface.

I was formerly from TKD back when I was a teen, then my tenant who later became friend and sempai showed them (shins) to me.

Head and fingers from my sisiong in Nam Wah Pai (shaolin-do)

Comment

Yang Jwing Ming's Taiji chin-na applications. I'm surprised that I've been able to pull some of them off with relative success, while the vast majority still remains low probability or wishful thinking.

Comment

I used to scoff at my BJJ friend who told me he'd take me down and submit me. "You need to get me down first and if you try I'll just kick you in the face" was my regular retort.

Comment

I use to think that wearing hand wraps and gloves for practicing striking was a bad idea because it would weaken the hands and wrists. Boy was I dumb.

Comment

I used to think Aikido could never, ever be used in any sort of resistive atmosphere. Then I watched Sumo.

(:20 into the video)
                YouTube- Asashoryu-sumo legend

Comment

I always scoffed at scissor takedowns, but the really do work!

Comment

Triangle chokes. I always thought they were more like a neck/shoulder crush than a choke. Then I got triangled.

Comment

I thought boxing was easy - surely it was just kickboxing but minus all the hard stuff.. Then I showed up at a boxing gym.

Comment

Gogoplata. It just seemed like the most complicated possible way to go about hurting a guy.

Comment

When I was about 21 I was explaining to a student why kicking a knife out of someone's hand would be such a boneheaded thing to try and why it would never work. My student then proceeded to kick a knife out of my hand.

I still think it's a boneheaded thing to try, but I've since learned never to say "never".

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
                            When I was about 21 I was explaining to a student why kicking a knife out of someone's hand would be such a boneheaded thing to try and why it would never work. My student then proceeded to kick a knife out of my hand.

I still think it's a boneheaded thing to try, but I've since learned never to say "never".
                            Did the student kick you off your horse too?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
                              Did the student kick you off your high horse too?
                              fixed.
                              Yes. I believed he did. :owneddanc
                              Just hoped this wasn't in front other students.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X