Shuaijiao or Tai chi in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuaijiao or Tai chi in Singapore

So it turns out that I'll be back in Singapore for winter break, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent shuaijiao or tai chi instructors/gyms in Singapore where I could train?

I wouldn't be opposed to a sanshou gym either, though I'll be getting all the face punches I want back at my old MT gym back there.

What's your background and what do you hope to get out of your training? How long will you be there? I know there's loads of taiji in Singapore, but much of it will involve learning a solo set before you get to the good stuff (actual throwing).

There's probably some shuaijiao there, but I'm not sure how/where you'd find it.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Comment

I've been training sanshou/sanda for around a year to a year and a half, and I was supposed to be training for a smoker until a sparring mishap. However, I have started Chen style tai chi pretty recently. But based on my experience, I'd probably enjoy being dropped on my head on the first day more than learning forms. Since I'll be back stateside in January, tai chi probably won't be my first choice.

About the shuai chiao thing, well I found a sanda gym in the city, so I figure it might be a good place to start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus View Post
        About the shuai chiao thing, well I found a sanda gym in the city, so I figure it might be a good place to start looking.
        You'll have an easy time finding san shou around town as it's fairly popular there, and you're absolutely right that they should be able to point you to whatever SJ is available.

If you want to continue your Chen taiji training as a side thing, there's a highly regarded teacher called Zhu Xiang Qian in Singapore. He has an all tuishou class every Sunday. Also, Wu style is big in Singapore and you should be able to find open tuishou days with guys who will be happy to push with you.
        “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Comment

@Jack Rusher,
          http://taiji-kungfu.com/
          I've been looking for a decent Tai Chi class with tuishou since '03.
          You are the 3rd person to receive the WINRAR IS YOU award.

Thank you again!

Comment

I haven't been there, but you could check out: http://www.wustyle.com/en/db/academy.php?aid=6

If you do, please report back. I'd like to hear about it. I had the opportunity to visit a couple of years ago, but could not make it.
            Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
            - Voltaire

Comment

Thanks for the names guys.

@Meataxe, I don't think I know enough about tai chi to make decent report about them. I'll try though, but I'll probably end up sounding like a dipshit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X