Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fight like Rey Mysterio with VIET VO DAO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight like Rey Mysterio with VIET VO DAO!

Here in Quebec we have a French magazine called "karate bushido" and they often talk about this Vietnamese martial art called Viet vo dao... Seems like it's been getting increasingly popular in France, and here's a video of a demonstration made in the martial art fest in Bercy

YouTube- Bercy 2007 Viet Vo Dao

seems like the main attack in VVD is... the FLYING HEAD SCISSORS.:BangHead:

seems like TKD has lost it's crown of king of flashy unrealistic moves :new_tomat
    try this out in your next life threatening streetfight

I have spoken with many Vovinam/VVD (doesn't VVD just mean "vietnamese martial arts"?) stylists.

They all say that flying scissors are something they do only in demonstrations because that is what the public wants to see : total LARPing flashy ineffective moves. Of course, that is what THEY say : I don't really know if it's the truth or not because Vovinam/VVD does not exist (much) in Quebec.

I do know that Vovinam/VVD is known for scissors. Probably mostly more practical stuff like kani-basami variations on the legs rather than flying head scissors.

There are offshoots of Vovinam/VVD (like VQD) that spar with a good amount of contact and do train realistically.

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

It's like Capoeira but without the street-effectiveness.

Comment

Do a search. Is an ancient thread somewhere with somebody relating their VVD experience, having trained in it for a not insignificant amount of time. Were not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by kikoolol View Post
          I have spoken with many Vovinam/VVD (doesn't VVD just mean "vietnamese martial arts"?) stylists.

They all say that flying scissors are something they do only in demonstrations because that is what the public wants to see : total LARPing flashy ineffective moves. Of course, that is what THEY say : I don't really know if it's the truth or not because Vovinam/VVD does not exist (much) in Quebec.

I do know that Vovinam/VVD is known for scissors. Probably mostly more practical stuff like kani-basami variations on the legs rather than flying head scissors.

There are offshoots of Vovinam/VVD (like VQD) that spar with a good amount of contact and do train realistically.

judging by this video, they seem to spend quite a good amount of time practicing the head scissors, it's pretty much the only move you see there, and apparently, children watching this will think they can defeat abusive adults with ease, so soccer moms and deluded children will sign up for sure. Thus creating again more harm than good :icon_roll

if you don't use head scissors, don't have head scissors

ever heard of the deadly flashy huriccane flying punch of fury? apparently it's a super secret deadly boxing move, but we only use it in demonstration :icon_roll

Comment

If I had a chance to train in a flashy martial art, I'd stick with Capoeira or Wushu.

Comment

As long as they openly admit that this is a technique they use for demonstration purposes, and don't make claims as to its stret or fight effectiveness, I don't see the problem
              Last edited by Cletus; 11/27/2009 2:49pm, . Reason: spelling

Comment

Ok, the demo was a bit repetitive, but I don't see what some of you guys are getting so worked up about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                  As long as they openly admit that this is a technique they use for demonstration purposes, and don't make claims as to its stret or fight effectiveness, I don't see the problem
                  I don't think they'll readily tell newcomers: oh, by the way, or biggest move is nothing but show, really, it will never work in the streets. :5oops:

Comment

Originally posted by CrackFox View Post
                    Ok, the demo was a bit repetitive, but I don't see what some of you guys are getting so worked up about.
                    Well It's just that I'm so tired of those anime-like martial arts... seriously, this is even less credible than pro-wrestling, who came up with the idea that a flying head scissors would be a decent fighting technique?

Comment

You guys are fags. Cung Le has trained in Viet Vo Dao. Using the Lyoto Machida doctrine, that means every Viet Vo Dao practitioner is a good fighter and the art is valid.
                      Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by Osaka peach View Post
                        I don't think they'll readily tell newcomers: oh, by the way, or biggest move is nothing but show, really, it will never work in the streets. :5oops:

I dont know whether they do or not, thats why my post was prefaced with "As long as..."

Comment

Originally posted by Osaka peach
                          Well It's just that I'm so tired of those anime-like martial arts... seriously, this is even less credible than pro-wrestling, who came up with the idea that a flying head scissors would be a decent fighting technique?
                          It's a demo. They've got 10 minutes to put the wow on a large audience who mostly know nothing about fighting. Who can blame them for hamming it up a bit?

Comment

My question is, how do you do the 619 in an environment with no ring ropes? Maybe you substitute street light poles?

Comment

Originally posted by Osaka peach View Post
                              judging by this video, they seem to spend quite a good amount of time practicing the head scissors, it's pretty much the only move you see there, and apparently, children watching this will think they can defeat abusive adults with ease, so soccer moms and deluded children will sign up for sure. Thus creating again more harm than good :icon_roll

if you don't use head scissors, don't have head scissors

ever heard of the deadly flashy huriccane flying punch of fury? apparently it's a super secret deadly boxing move, but we only use it in demonstration :icon_roll
                              YouTube- Finale cbt +80kg eurocup 2008

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X