bullshido gang: you win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bullshido gang: you win

A few months ago I joined this community. After finishing a PhD in social sciences' research techniques in march; I was then happy to find myself with enough time to train martial arts (been holding that wish since HS).
    I live in El Paso, Tx -Juarez, Mx border, home of amazing boxers. Since I was still under the influence of the movies and the "all western is inferior" myth I wanted to train something with oriental roots. The UFC craze made BJJ my choice, but I couldn't find a decent school around. I kept looking. Since my job keeps me crossing the border everyday (I work for El Paso Community College and for Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua) I could shop for dojos on both countries.
    El Paso's TMA gyms were, through their websites, kind of not serious (in my opinion, and based purely on my web browsing). I could mainly find the typical TKD, Shotokan and 'my very own personally developed style' places. The Mexican side of the border is plagued with Lima Lama, TKD & Shotokan schools.
    A friend of mine (amateur full contact fighter) told me sensei Humberto Miranda used to be a tough prize fighter and an incredible brawler when young (now is 55). After some thoughts I joined Miranda's Shotokan club, on the Mexican side of the border. Miranda is a very experienced man who also trains bodyguards and LEOs. Everyday I woke up at 5:30 am so I could join his daily classes. I am very grateful for sensei Miranda's zeal and dedication, he is a very humble, down to earth man.

We were performing the usual: low stances, air kicking, air blocking, air punching & kata. Kumite was point sparring and happened once in a while. Since I didn't know better I thought that was the way MA training is supposed to be. Then I started reading about shotokan online (I wanted to be knowledgable about the art I was practicing)... You guys know what is coming. Much to my sadness I commenced to read about shotokan's lack of aliveness and why its endless repetitions, low stances, kata & punch pulling wouldn't prepare me to fight.

I the wanted to switch to kyokushin karate, but there are not any schools around west Texas area (none that I could find). So, no BJJ, no Kyokushin, and I didn't want to keep going to Shotokan. Then, while reading you, I learn that Judo is an effective MA. So I joined a judo club under the guidance of Hector & German Calvo (3rd & 6th degree BB and international class A referee, respectively). I couldn't be happier. Awesome workout: 30-40 minutes stretching/warming up; 20 minutes ukemi, and 40 minutes randori.

I also plan to take advantage of the boxing gyms around. I plan to join a boxing gym ("box no good" myth debunked by you), so I can add some striking to the game, next January.

And its all your fault. If it were not for you, I'd still be practicing shotokan (no disrespect, just that it is not what I wanted).

Thanks gang.

Bill

Welcome Bill :)

Comment

You have been assimilated. Welcome to the Collective.
      sigpic

Comment

Glad to be of service. We take all major credit cards
        " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

http://www.gracieelpaso.com/

BJJ gym in El Paso, your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
            You have been assimilated. Welcome to the Collective.
            resistance is, indeed, futile.

Comment

Originally posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
              http://www.gracieelpaso.com/

BJJ gym in El Paso, your welcome.

Hey!!! Awesome!! I didn't know we had that in EP. I'll check that as soon as possible.

Thanks so much Dave!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel View Post
                We take all major credit cards
                That's actually a serious statement.

I enjoyed Shotokan, but yeah don't think I would've wanted to do it for more than a semester.

Welcome to Bullshido and I wish you luck on your Judo endeavors.
                :karated:
                "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

All your base are belong to us

also, when tubing lima lama (which just sounded like a funny sound or a lama smelling like zesty lemons) i have come across this:

YouTube- lima lama feregrino

Is that the comedy you were talking about ?

Comment

Yes. That is it.
                    Lima Lama seems to be so popular in Mexico, almost au pair with TKD and Karate. I don't know how it spread that much there.

Comment

Van Damme's original style was Shotokan, which he employed in full-contact karate tournaments from 1976-1981, with a record of 20-2. Shotokan, like many traditional styles, is very effective with a modest amount of mastery. I keep seeing Bullshido posts saying over and over again that the strength of a style depends on the skill of the fighter, and not the other way around.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X