No announcement yet.

"The Origins of Jiu-Jitsu: The Father of All Fights" - Unusual History of BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Origins of Jiu-Jitsu: The Father of All Fights" - Unusual History of BJJ

Some of you may know the excellent Global Training Report website. It was on geocities for years, but when that got pulled, GTR went down as well. I just noticed it's back up, on a different server, and the first new article is interesting. I won't quote it, as the guy who runs GTR really hates when people put his stuff up on other sites (hence his rogue sites
    • Jiu jitsu is unbeatable
    • It DEFINITELY came from India
    • Judo was just 'fake jiu-jitsu' taught to hide the 'real 'stuff from Westerners
    • The 'real' jiu jitsu was secretly re-introduced to judo after Kano's death

I'm guessing that probably means the publication date was closer to 1938 rather than 1999.

Ehh. Interesting as someone's take on history, but many problems with the theory.
    We know jiu jitsu can be beaten (even by the "fake jiu-jitsu" known as judo. Kimura, anyone?). The jiu jitsu comes from India line is as believable as "all martial arts come from the Shaolin temple" or Korean martial arts history. Goshin jitsu was re-introduced after Kano's death? Curious, as most changes to Judo have been to develop it more towards a sport.

Comment

That sounds a lot like a Korean wrote it, not a Brazilian.

Comment

Very clumsy attempt at historical revisionism.

Comment

That was pretty.

Comment

and who kept all this stuff secret. Ninjas of course all to divert us mere mortals from their explosive diarrhea or ninjitsu depending on how you pronounce it.

Comment

Is this the start of _Iu _itsu

Comment

Originally posted by Franco View Post
                Is this the start of _Iu _itsu
                J_J_tsu

Comment

Zhoo-zhitsu.

Comment

The kind of thinking espoused in that article makes the animosity towards the Gracie family from judoka like Mehdi a lot more understandable (if we can presume Reyson had a major input, although from what I've heard, Reyson generally has a good reputation. Unless it's a misspelling and should be Reylson, whose reputation is decidedly worse?)

Referring to judo as 'jiu jitsu' is one thing, but claiming that it is some kind of fake jiu jitsu made up to confuse non-Japanese is quite another. Very bizarre.

Comment

I have heard the claim before, and was taken to task as many felt that claim was never made.

In truth there is ZERO evidence that ANY jujutsu style went to Brazil. We have Madea's own letters home and it is VERY clear he was a Kodokan Judo Black Belt who was sent to teach Kodokan Judo there.

But, the "fake jujitsu" story was old marketing hype that has been disproven long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by slideyfoot View Post
                        [*]The 'real' jiu jitsu was secretly re-introduced to judo after Kano's death[/LIST]

I'm guessing that probably means the publication date was closer to 1938 rather than 1999.
                        He's talking about the Kodokan Goshin Jutsu Working Group so we can put the date after the late fifties.

Anyway, the existence of the Kobudo Kenkyukai was no secret.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X