Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything useful in Aikido?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anything useful in Aikido?

    Yes I've done a search...Aikido isnt well liked around these parts huh?

    The popular objections revolve around the impossibility of trapping a quick retracting strike, and the futility of working with compliant attacks.

    BUT, is there really NOTHING of value in it?

    I like practicing the rotating footwork. Its something I never learned in Judo class, and it now feels indispensable.

    #2
    Try here:

    Why is Judo superior to Aikido? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

    Comment


      #3
      Yep, I read about half of that thread.

      Oh, I forgot two other objections...Aikido takes up too much space and too much time.

      Nevertheless, its throwing tech does NOT bring both parties to the ground, as is often the case in Judo.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Corso View Post
        Nevertheless, its throwing tech does NOT bring both parties to the ground, as is often the case in Judo.
        That's because in Aikido Uke is compliant and is tumbling within the technique. In Judo, Uke is non-compliant and there is much more show of force and much more forward momentum. That's one reason why the rules of Judo as a Sport are the way that they are. And that's one reason why Aikido is not regarded as a sport to begin with.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by alpha2six View Post
          That's because in Aikido Uke is compliant and is tumbling within the technique.
          I think the compliance is mainly in the way an attack is initiated, rather than how it ends.

          If you dont roll...you get your wrist/elbow broken.

          So at that point, compliance is not optional.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by alpha2six View Post
            In Judo, Uke is non-compliant and there is much more show of force and much more forward momentum.
            Yes, I think Aikido training could be greatly improved by performing the throws offensively...as opposed to being strictly reactive.

            Comment


              #7
              There are definitely useful techniques in Aikido, just as in any other grappling art. Stylistic differences aside, hip throws are hip throws, wrist locks are wrist locks, etc. The human body has a finite number of ways it does and doesn't willingly move. The big problem with Aikido is the way they train in an ivory tower fantasyland that takes the reality of a determined attacker out of the equation. I've been at demos along side Aikido groups that snicker about how silly us poor karateka look throwing all those vulgar unsophisticated punches and kicks since they just don't know any better. Most of them would probably run home crying the first time they actually got hit and the projection of their ki didn't stop the attacker in his tracks.

              That being said, if you get an aikido sensei who has actually tried things out without a hakama and a compliant uke, you will most likely learn some decent techniques. Just don't drink the kool aid.

              Comment


                #8
                And there's nothing wrong with practicing ukemi as long as it's to ensure you don't get injured and not just to protect the self esteem of your training partner.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Corso View Post
                  Yep, I read about half of that thread.

                  Oh, I forgot two other objections...Aikido takes up too much space and too much time.

                  Nevertheless, its throwing tech does NOT bring both parties to the ground, as is often the case in Judo.
                  That's because Aikido brings no one to the ground

                  Anyways yes there are some effective techniques and some effective conditioning drills and some effective principles.

                  You could realistically learn them all in about 3 days and then move on.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Corso View Post
                    Yes I've done a search...Aikido isnt well liked around these parts huh?

                    The popular objections revolve around the impossibility of trapping a quick retracting strike, and the futility of working with compliant attacks.

                    BUT, is there really NOTHING of value in it?

                    I like practicing the rotating footwork. Its something I never learned in Judo class, and it now feels indispensable.

                    .......... Kraik?
                    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

                    -Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

                    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
                    Bill Cosby

                    The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
                    Greek proverb

                    Originally posted by Nicko1
                    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Corso View Post
                      Yes, I think Aikido training could be greatly improved by performing the throws offensively...as opposed to being strictly reactive.
                      LOL.. but then it wouldn't be Aikido.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The only thing useful about Aikido is the fire exit in the dojo.....

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Corso View Post
                          Yes, I think Aikido training could be greatly improved by performing the throws offensively...as opposed to being strictly reactive.

                          I think this website could be greatly improved if you refrain from starting useless threads...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The uniforms are similar to other martial art one's, so maybe you can wear them to your new art's classes.

                            holy shit I have 999 posts...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              you learn how to breakfall, so you dont get your neck cracked on your first day of judo if you decide to learn something that works

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X