Hello, I'm a n00b!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I'm a n00b!

Hello, I'm a n00b, and my n00bosity is n00btastic, thanks for asking!! :-)

So, this is me: I got into the martial arts at 16 because my dad wanted me to learn self-defense. I loved it and wished I'd started a lot earlier. I attended this school for about three years. Eventually it had to shut down, because my instructor focused more on teaching than on making money and he couldn't afford to keep the school running. He restructured it in his basement as a club and invited a small group of us to keep going.

He taught a comprehensive art that he'd created. (I KNOW. But it seemed pretty thorough and grounded in self-defense.) He based it on Shotokan, several grappling and throwing arts, and even some Wing Chun, which I value for teaching me about the concept of the centerline. We did a lot of self-defense, a lot of contact sparring (he let us try point sparring a few times and we all thought it was pretty lame), grappling, weapons, kata, discussed the use of force and broke down the physics of different techniques... It was a well-rounded experience and I loved it.

Then I moved away, took a break for a few years, and found another basement club. I'm pretty poor so the dues are right in my price range. The art is a mix of Shito Ryu karate and some jujitsu. It's not very "alive" and I'm always the only girl there, but at least it's been something fun to do for the last two years. My instructor thinks I could get my shodan end of next year if I work hard, but as I'm a perfectionist it'd more likely be two more years. I'm thinking of taking up BJJ as well; my stand-up could use some improvement but my ground game is nearly non-existent.
    Last edited by Aeryn_S; 11/20/2009 4:11pm, . Reason: rawr...paragraphs

Welcome to bullshido, these basement gyms sound pretty interesting.

Comment

Comment

Welcome aboard Aeryn_S. It sounds like your instructor is very dedicated, so that must be a good program to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryn_S View Post
          I've been browsing the forums most of the afternoon and am wondering: are there other women who post here? Or is there a top secret, women-only forum somewhere I should know about? :-D
          Often you'l find the site is a bit like your basement dojos, but there are some women, some guys pretending to be women, posting on here...and then the vast majority who are men/boys with accounts.

Have fun and welcome to bullshido!

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Question for you guys: I'm thinking of starting BJJ at the Ground Control school in Kansas City, which is associated with John Rallo/Ground Control Baltimore, and would be interested in seeing a review of the school if any of the KC guys have the time and inclination to do it. Is there some way to request/suggest a school review?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X