Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting gyms who do not have a curriculum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting gyms who do not have a curriculum.

What are peoples thoughts on gyms which do not have a solid curriculum?

For example, people show up to the gym and the instructors show them whatever the instructors feel like on the day. Is it a bad gym since the instructors could be holding back on teaching you lots of things, claiming it is because you are not ready for it but really he just wants to make money? Or does it mean it is more personally suited to the individuals?...

Our gym doesn't have a curriculum that I know of. Casey tends to teach from whatever technique framework is in his brain. A lot of the time that means that we learn stuff related to whatever people had trouble with the previous week, or things that people had problems with in competition.
    Sometimes I have no idea why we're learning a particular technique other than it's cool and is extra stuff to add to the arsenal.
    No curriculum doesn't mean a bad school, nor does it mean your instructor is holding anything back from you, it just means you learn in a different way.
    sigpic

Comment

My school is fifty fifty, the BB who comes once a week has use do massive submission, sweep and guard passing flows that are basically BJJ Kata's. The Purple just teaches whatever is on his mind or what the class wants. (surprisingly its always something very basic)

the BJJ Kata's probably come from the fact that he taught judo and TKD before BJJ and MMA (In the 80's...)

Comment

Padwork, Shadowboxing, Conditioning and Sparring.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think there would be many schools without curriculums. I feel like a school needs to have some sort of a curriculum so you can keep progress of what you've learnt and how much there is left to learn in the system.

Currently at my school, the instructor teaches what ever he wants and it seems like we're learning the same crap over and over again. I haven't learned anything new in 6 months!! I just get the feeling that he's not teaching me as much as he could fearing that once I learn everything I can just go out and teach it to someone else... which is probably what is going to happen hahaha

Comment

We have no curriculum, I have never felt cheated in the least, class is always interesting and I think I'm at the best school in the city.

Instructor trumps curriculum.
            Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

If you're learning the same stuff over and over you should be looking to refine it more and more each time until you're awesome at it. We did halfguard passing tonight, something I've been doing regularly for 3 years now, and I still learned something new and actually moved my entire half guard passing game up a level in effectiveness.
              At the same time defending against the halfguard passes helped me get my halfguard sweeps game up a notch and I was able to fix a detail that I had previously been missing.
              I would much rather have a glitch in my existing game fixed than learn some esoteric new technique just for the sake of learning new things.
              sigpic

Comment

So are you saying that your unhappy with your current gym? What do you personaly hope to gain from your training? Are you crosstraining for further development or simply filling in your week?

It really depends on the individual and what they want catered.....

Comment

I've had it both ways (no homo). The class I currently attend has no curriculum, and I've never missed having one. I'd rather have an instructor who's teaching what he's teaching because for some reason he's inspired to teach it, than someone teaching us something because that's what a piece of paper says we should be learning at that point in our training.

I'd rather get taught everything all at once in the beginning and have years to practice all of it, than getting taught a tidbit at a time, only to find myself 10 years in, and finding out there's a technique I have to learn that I've never seen nor practiced before. I'd be pissed, I could've already been practicing it for 10 freakin years!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinga Mosquito View Post
                    I'd rather get taught everything all at once in the beginning and have years to practice all of it, than getting taught a tidbit at a time, only to find myself 10 years in, and finding out there's a technique I have to learn that I've never seen nor practiced before. I'd be pissed, I could've already been practicing it for 10 freakin years!
                    Thats why I think there should be a curriculum, so you know what you should be learning and what should be taught. Whereas if there was no curriculum, the instructor can just teach anything and you would'nt know what you are missing out on.

Comment

im a firm believer in a system.
                      especially when you have beginners, its very important to drill in the basics.
                      advanced techniques are really well developped basic skills.
                      uchi komi and all that.

Comment

At my kickboxing gym there is a set curriculum with belts but there is zero pressure to take any gradings. So you can mark your progress and see what the system has to offer in the long term or you can just train at your own speed and take what you want from sessions. I'm not too bothered about gradings for now but It's good to see what's out there.
                        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                          At my kickboxing gym there is a set curriculum with belts but there is zero pressure to take any gradings. So you can mark your progress and see what the system has to offer in the long term or you can just train at your own speed and take what you want from sessions. I'm not too bothered about gradings for now but It's good to see what's out there.
                          I see you're in Kent, where abouts do you train?
                          I sometimes hop over there to train or fight.
                          Havent been there since 3 years though.

How do the english do it anyway?
                          Over here you have a B and an A status in muay thai comps.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebell View Post
                            How do the english do it anyway?
                            About once a month in the dark.

Comment

damn my crush on you!
                              it's funny cos it's true!
                              ( the once in the dark thingy)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X