Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Wing Chun/Tsun effective for self defense

Hi All,

I would like to ask people's views on whether Wing Chun/Tsun is effective for self defense.

IMHO I believe it is. This is because I am a firm believer in simplicity when it comes to self defense and I believe Wing Chun/Tsun is one of simpler more direct martial arts.

I will say I have never studied Wing Chun/Tsun and my opinions are based on what I have seen and read.

Regards

AA

Originally posted by AnAccountant View Post

IMHO I believe it is. This is because I am a firm believer in simplicity when it comes to self defense and I believe Wing Chun/Tsun is one of simpler more direct martial arts.
    Yeah....no.
    I will say I have never studied Wing Chun/Tsun [/B]and my opinions are based on what I have seen and read.
    No experience.
    Sorry, not in the CMA fourm. There are at least, this not a joke, a hundred or more chun threads on bullshido.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is closer to 500. Use the bullshido google
    search function.

thank you.

Comment

I think you're confusing "simplicity" with "sounding good on paper".

edit: moved to newbietown while I was posting.
      Well, you'll find that in this forum, boxing is considered better suited to learning how to strike effectively, in a reasonable amount of time and training. While TW/WC/VT/etc is considered the exact opposite.

Comment

OP, give boxing a try. Way cheaper, way more direct and way more effective.
        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Creativo & BigKovacs,

What about kickboxing as an effective art for striking?

AA

Comment

I think Wing Chun can be effective if it is trained correctly.

Unfortunately that rarely happens.

Very rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccountant View Post
              Creativo & BigKovacs,

What about kickboxing as an effective art for striking?

AA
              Kickboxing, though not the 'Cardio' kind, and Muay Thai are both considered effective striking options.
              I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
                I think Wing Chun can be effective if it is trained correctly.

Unfortunately that rarely happens.

Very rarely.
                True. I got into an altercation on halloween & used some of the things I learned in class during it. Didn't think of it DURING but afterwords I realized I did.

Comment

When people try to use aerodynamic principles to explain why wing chun works while failing to provide any video evidence I don't think you can call it simple anymore

That said in most street fighting instance where the people fighting are generally drunk or pussies, chain punching them in the nose will probably work very well to deter them.

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe View Post
                    When people try to use aerodynamic principles to explain why wing chun works while failing to provide any video evidence I don't think you can call it simple anymore

That said in most street fighting instance where the people fighting are generally drunk or pussies, chain punching them in the nose will probably work very well to deter them.
                    Aerodynamic principles?

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe View Post

Correct. Repeatedly punching someone in the face is generally considered an effective way to attack someone.:toothy5:
                      (I can't find a 'smartass' smiley...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rawb_Prime View Post
                        Aerodynamic principles?
                        Yes.

Dihedral Wing misconceptions regarding Wing Tsun IRAS (Failure) - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Comment

I would think that the most simple and direct form of fighting would be western boxing, 4 punches, and hundreds of drills. Some of the most impressive athletes that I have seen are boxers. Its direct and effective against multiple attackers. what more can you ask for.
                          http://www.fugly.com/videos/6325/guy..._beatdown.html

Comment

Western boxing may be good for fighting, but it's too much fucking hard work.

Also, where's the mysticism? Where's the tiny Asian "master" screaming "YOU WRACK DISCIPRIN"? Where's the otaku wank off?

No no my friend, I'm afraid you don't understand martial arts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawb_Prime View Post
                              True. I got into an altercation on halloween & used some of the things I learned in class during it. Didn't think of it DURING but afterwords I realized I did.
                              Kids fighting backs when you try to steal their candy dosen't count as an effective use of chun.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X