Bloodlust during sparring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloodlust during sparring?

I apologize for the imaginative thread title, but I couldn't think of any other way to put it.

I'm a newbie to MMA and fighting in general, but I've been going to a club for a few months and have been greatly enjoying it.

The only problem I have is that when I'm sparring I like to pick my shots and keep distance, but when my opponent gets in close and starts getting hits in my training flies out the window and I start to fight wildly (within the sparring rules).

Although this usually results in my opponent backing off and me getting a nice flurry in, I've been chided by my coaches for being too aggressive.

How do I deal with this? Should I try to focus on clinch fighting or something similar?

Welcome to Bullshido.

Spend more time in that range so that you get comfortable. Those "nice flurries" are the result of you escalating the level of intent and the level of contact beyond those of your sparring partner, and are not demonstrations of learned skill.
    Last edited by NJM; 11/11/2009 1:58am, .

Comment

Thank you for insight, I hadn't thought of it that way. What can I do to improve myself in that range?
      Last edited by Cojac; 11/11/2009 2:15am, .

Comment

It shows a lack of control and pacing which will cause you problems as you progress. Just relax a bit more and take your time.

Also if you do that with a senior or club fighter it gives them an invitation to flatten you.
        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Put it into your brain to avoid getting into a bloodlust/desperation mindset, even if you are taking a beating. Everyone has to learn the hard way how to work through close-range situations calmly. The best way to do something in an "in-control" manner is to do it many times first.

Maybe ask your partner to work with you in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by Cojac View Post
            Thank you for insight, I hadn't thought of it that way. What can I do to improve myself in that range?
            Start in that range or tell your partner that you'd specifically like to train that range but tell them to stop and walk away if you start spazzing
            " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

You've got beginners disease: fixated on "winning" rather than learning.

Pretty soon you'll run into someone bigger and better than you who will pulverise you for it. Get your mind under control, quick. It will only hurt your training to continue this way.
              Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

I remember years ago some one a few years younger than me who was pretty new to the club i was training at, at the time, started throwing wild punches non stop with bag gloves on and wasnt throwing them light either, i had 16oz gloves on.

It was like chain punch madness, i got fustrated made some distance and gave him a round house near enoughfull pelt to his ribs with no shin guard on.

Dropped like a sack of shit!

It might happen to you sooner or later.

Comment

I've been on the receiving end of that. Since I'm a bigger guy (6'3" 240) I generally pull my shots a bit. But if I get in a few unanswered blows my opponents start swining for the fences. One thing you can do is put your back against the wall or in the corner of the ring and let your partner work you a bit. By putting yourself in a bad position and learning how to weather it out and fight/move back to a comfortable range you will develop a confidence that will prevent you from sliding into a blind panic and lashing out sloppily.

Comment

its fine to go a bit heavy and get a bit of bloodlust, just do it against someone like minded.

There's a few guys at my gym who I know I can go almost all out against and they're game.. but others dont do it that way, and if i'm honest with myself I get a fuck load more out of the sparring if I don't rock my partners
                    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Franco View Post
                      Dropped like a sack of shit!

It will happen to you sooner than later.
                      fixed.

having learned the hard way...:5arg:

Comment

Yea. In my gym there are guys who I know I can have a hard session with and we smack the shit out of each other and there's no love lost.
                        I will often start with a few half power jabs to feel out my opponent's reaction ( how hard he hits back ) which lets me know what kind of pace I will be going at. If the person starts swinging for the fences, I indulge them, but not going wild, picking my shots and hitting them hard. This is not my favorite way to spar at all, though the hard pressure has certainly helped me in a lot of ways. I prefer the technical sessions. When you hit just hard enough so that you can't ignore the punch, but not so hard that you are too afraid to experiment and try new things.

We do a sparring drill every now and then where you are not allowed to hit hard, but you have to keep your hands low ( just under your chin ) and practice mostly evasive movements, only shielding if you really have to. I really enjoy those drills a whole lot.

When I spar with my coaches, they always go the technical route with me. Then I've seen fresh beginners go all out on them ( the coaches ) on their first day and get their noses bust open. I guess you get what you give when you're sparring a better fighter.

How do I deal with this?
                        I think if you are a) going much harder than your partner wants to, and b) throwing away your technique when you go hard, you should take a step back and get some help from your coach.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! I'm definitely going to train that range as much as I can today and cut out the spazzy stuff.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X