My Neighbor's Systema Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Neighbor's Systema Journey

I write this because when looking in the search of bullshido forums I couldn't find a review of someone going to a systema seminar or school.
    My neighbor started to train me in Muay Thai and Kali when I was threatened by a kid with a knife. He used to give self-defense lessons at Degerberg's martial art school (he stopped after a couple years, probably when it started to give little kids black belts and opened up a ninja turtle class).
    He likes basics and really just taught me three things, get stronger, strike first, and don't believe in chi. I never have and never will; neither will he. But Systema has always caught his attention. He bought videos but didn't learn anything from them (I couldn't understand them either). He finally went to a seminar and said it was the most painful experience of his life and here's why.
    If you take out all that internal energy the principle of the ballistics punch its pretty much striking with one's knuckles BUT a few principles that make it work a lot better. He showed it to me and it did hurt... a lot, and he didn't even try to punch me hard.
    It impressed me and I think my investigation of Systema has concluded with it's good stuff.
    Anyone else every try Systema? If so what was your opinion, and who was your instructor?

Cheers

P.S. I dont believe in the internal energy crap they try to pull but I did like the punch a lot.
    Last edited by devilboy7778; 11/06/2009 8:02pm, .

This thread might not be in the correct forum - but here goes...

I've heard a quite lot about these weird Systema punches, both good and bad. Were you ever given an explanation of the physics behind them?

As I understand it, you don't 'throw' the punch as such - rather, you sort of allow gravity to pound your opponent with the weight of your arm, if that makes any sense. I've read feedback stating that they really do hurt - a lot. Others say that they're next to useless...

Comment

DB-

This thread belongs in Newbietown, not MABS, which is for Investigations. I'll let a mod know so they can move it. I've looked at some systema videos and found their stuff horrible. That being said, I wouldn't mind going to a seminar and seeing first hand their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeFan View Post
        DB-

This thread belongs in Newbietown, not MABS, which is for Investigations. I'll let a mod know so they can move it. I've looked at some systema videos and found their stuff horrible. That being said, I wouldn't mind going to a seminar and seeing first hand their stuff.
        I wouldn't really like to definitively call BS on the effectiveness of the punches. I've never been on the end of one and there seem to be a heck of a lot of guys who say that they found them useful.

The knife/gun disarm stuff is freaking awful, nay, suicidal, however - and it would seem that some of the Systema guys believe in no-touch knockdowns and throws.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/user/IFAacade...34/llghREA_D8A
          :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Comment

Final Report: Systema- - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Comment

Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
              This thread might not be in the correct forum - but here goes...

I've heard a quite lot about these weird Systema punches, both good and bad. Were you ever given an explanation of the physics behind them?

As I understand it, you don't 'throw' the punch as such - rather, you sort of allow gravity to pound your opponent with the weight of your arm, if that makes any sense. I've read feedback stating that they really do hurt - a lot. Others say that they're next to useless...
              There's a slap they do. Cupped palm, target is not quite the ear, but right in front of it. Kind of the whole jaw, ear area. The blow is the usual Sytema relaxed arm being swung almost like a flail, and SLAP to the meat of the face.

I've tried it out on myself a little, cupping the palm and hitting myself in that region, and it does seem to give a little more "oomph" than the same blow with a clenched fist. Let me explain:

The fist hits, and I feel pain, but it is superficial, the tissue and bones hurt.

The cupped palm though, seems to rattle the insides of the head. The blow is felt mostly behind the jawbone, radiating throughout the skull.

The idea is that the cupped air focuses the energy into the target, instead of letting it dissipate on the surface.

Such a strike to the ear itself is well known, and not very nice! But this one targets the nerve cluster in your sinuses, attempting to rattle the ganglion, and ring the bell so to speak. ( instead of busting the eardrum.) As I said, it seems to focus the strike internally when targeted loosely right in front of the ear, sort of the back of the cheek, corner of the jaw. A big cupped paw right over that area. For force, throw it like an overhand pimp slap. Turn the hips and put weight into it.

You may all now continue laughing at me for trying strikes on myself. (I havent had the chance to try it on someone else yet... What? I'm a peaceful guy o.k.?)

Does anybody else want to experiment with that strike and let me know what they think though?

I found it interesting enough to warant risking ridicule here so...

...let me know what results you get if you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
                I havent had the chance to try it on someone else yet
                Aristotelian technique: a technique performed using attacks learned solely from theoretical speculation untainted by any experiential data by one who feels that the latter is irrelevant anyway.

The Compleat Guide to __ng __un Philosophy - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Does anybody else want to experiment with that strike and let me know what they think though?
                Hey moron,

How about *YOU* try it?
                Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                ATTN TOM KAGAN
                World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Sure...I'd be more than happy to give you the good ole' Russian pimp-hand...where are we meeting up?
                  :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Comment

You may all now continue laughing at me for trying strikes on myself. (I havent had the chance to try it on someone else yet... What? I'm a peaceful guy o.k.?)

I found it interesting enough to warant risking ridicule here so...

...let me know what results you get if you try it.
                    Is this a ploy to get people to punch themselves in the face at their keyboards? :evil4:

For some reason, my body tries to stop me from doing that.

I tried out some Systema-style punches (mimicked off of YouTube to the best of my ability) on my punchball the other day. I can confirm that they nearly knocked the thing over on its sand-filled base. That said, I can also do that with less effort by throwing a haymaker or uppercutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                      Is this a ploy to get people to punch themselves in the face at their keyboards? :evil4:

For some reason, my body tries to stop me from doing that.

I tried out some Systema-style punches (mimicked off of YouTube to the best of my ability) on my punchball the other day. I can confirm that they nearly knocked the thing over on its sand-filled base. That said, I can also do that with less effort by throwing a haymaker or uppercutting it.
                      Or throwing a right hook...or any other punch for that matter.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Comment

The power must come from his midsection....

YouTube- Mikhail Ryabko teaching Systema Punching

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
                          Or throwing a right hook...or any other punch for that matter.
                          Those punches are pretty much the same as the systema ones, but systema is a lot more relaxed. And watching on youtube is nothing like the real thing my friend, trust me i was doing the exact same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sainthamish View Post
                            The power must come from his midsection....

YouTube- Mikhail Ryabko teaching Systema Punching
                            The hammor here represents how hard you clench your fist. When the guy gets hit the breathing he does makes the punches less painfull.

Comment

Originally posted by devilboy7778 View Post
                              Those punches are pretty much the same as the systema ones, but systema is a lot more relaxed. And watching on youtube is nothing like the real thing my friend, trust me i was doing the exact same thing.
                              Yeah - to be honest, I was mainly just goofing around at my punch ball.

It was this vid (posted before) that made me curious...

YouTube- Systema punch (common punch vs Systema Punch)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X