BJJ and Luta Livre. From a guy who did both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ and Luta Livre. From a guy who did both

I have been reading many post in many MA forums about BJJ and Luta livre (it is not free olympic wrestling nor soutamerican pro wresling ) , about how them are similar and rivals. I started in luta livre about 3 years ago.Im am a southamerican Guy , from a country bordering Brazil.

My conversion to BJJ : Why did I leave Luta Livre

First Part

This guy is legit , he is also a legit muay thai instructor ,and a wrestling coach , he is a hard working guy and believes in his art , but he is full of hate towards BJJ , a hate that he imported from brasil in the 80s ( with earlier origins ) and now , doesnt even exists . BJJ does not care about its poor cousin

4) Use of the guard : In luta livre , you learn to use the guard , but always as a last resource , the last defense. Half guard is used to avoid the mount ( you dont want to be there )

SECOND PART

Why I think that Bjj is Better? http://www.brazilianlutalivre.com/ Look at this site , in the english section under IBLLU . They say rickson gracie refused to fight Joao ricardo , and that BJJ offered to join bjj with high ranks .It sounds like trash

WHAT THE HELL? This was one long ass, broken english, nonsensical crazy mofo peice of writing

Comment

i understood it, he's Brazilian and has better english than many of our posters. The post was obviously meant as an introduction for noobietown so lighten up.

Comment

Yeah good post

I still rather picture Lutre Livre as this though

Comment

Lucha Libre is not he same as Luta Livre.

Comment

It's all greek to me

Comment

Good post, and welcome.

I wonder how much of that is the style versus how much is just a badly managed school.

Comment

MMAMickey : WHAT THE HELL? This was one long ass, broken english, nonsensical crazy mofo peice of writing

Comment

Thank you for your information, C0nan. Luta Livre is increasingly an unknown art.

Comment

Thank you my fren, good post.

Comment

Indeed, a very good first post. Are there still fights going on between Gracie JiuJitsu and Luta Livre guys? There's that video of Rickson Gracie and Hugo Duarte fighting on a beach, which was supposed to be a style rivalry, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Comment

Maybe LL’s jealousy has something to do with the fact that BJJ has taken over the Martial Arts world.
                          Welcome to Bullshido BTW

Comment

Some good posts there Conan, i hadn't even heard of Luta Livre until now.

Comment

Funny thing is, in Germany LL is way more common than BJJ (changing now). LL like I got to know in Germany is no gi BJJ with a few more options when it comes to submissions. They use the same names for most of the stuff, main idea of position over submission etc.

Funny thing is, there were a few show matches set up by the gracies if I recall it correct to determine which art is better, and the gracies picked their opponents wisely, won those show matches and went on to become the top grappling art in Brazil and later world wide.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X