soke scot conway 8th degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soke scot conway 8th degree

What's your opinion about Soke Grandmaster Pooh Bah kyoshi Scot Conway, 8th degree?

"He has black belts in seven different martial arts with an 8th degree Black Belt in Guardian Kempo, a 7th degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo, a 6th degree Black Belt in Chinese Kempo Chuan Shu, a 3rd degree in Keichu Hoshin Ryu Karate Jujitsu, a 2nd degree in Mukashi Kindai Ryu Karate Jujitsu, a 1st degree in Kara Ho Kempo and Shiho Karano Kenpo Jujitsu. His title of Soke was awarded by Grandmaster Marx of Keichu Do Karate Jujitsu. The title of Soke means he is the recognized headfounder of a martial art."

see http://www.guardianacademy.com/about.shtml

Another self-proclaimed instructor with bogus credentials?

...master instructor, Scot Conway, has a PhD in Christian Martial Arts from the Physical Education Department of Great Plains Baptist College.

I have never heard of a Doctoral degree (or a degree of any kind) from an accredited institution in "Christian Martial Arts".

Comment

His Phd. is a Christian martial arts instructor degree from a Christian academy. I am sure the academic standards are way up there with Harvard. It makes me wonder about his law degree but I don't doubt he is a real killer. ; )

Comment

He left out Astronaut and Brain Surgeon.

Comment

I'm asking my Kajukenbo seniors about his Kajukenbo rank.

Comment

Originally posted by joecos View Post
            I have never heard of a Doctoral degree (or a degree of any kind) from an accredited institution in "Christian Martial Arts".
            I sent an email to the school to get more information about this. I eagerly await their reply.

Also, as to the Karl Marx Keichudo, he was already busted as a fraud on this site.

Comment

Here is a breakdown of what I can find on all he claims. The law school is legit, but I have not verified attendance or his claim of passing the bar on the first try.

Guardian Kempo- His own system
              Chinese Kempo Chuan Shu- No system found. Ke?po is the Romanization of the Japanese for Chuan fa.
              Keichu- Blended art created by a fraud
              Mukashi Kindai- Blended art reviewed by World Soke Council. Also head is a Christian.

Originally posted by mkr-kai.com
              This system teaches the student to defend themselves from an attacker(s) with techniques that would not be allowed in tournament competition
              Kara Ho Kempo- Email sent to verify rank
              Shiho Karano- Another Christian school with Tai Chi breathing to learn "principles of breath and Chi flow"

Comment

Take a look at what's for sale at: http://www.scotconway.org/
                HEROIC MASCULINTY (sic) Do you wish you had a clear vision for what it means to be a Real Man? Do you wish you knew what it took to get the most amazing women with a passionate love for the Man in Men? Do you wish you knew what it took to take your masculinity (or your femininity!) to the Next Level?
                Heroic Masculinty (sic) is taking Authentic Masculinity to the Next Level! This 12 part series contains three series of four lessons each. You will learn the insight of the Levels of Masculinity. Even alone, it as a phenomenal way to think about Men AND Women and how to create the most stunning partnerships imaginable. Then learn how to live as a Level 3 Heroic Man (or Heroic Woman) in the second series. Finally, if you want to totally blow the fairy tales out of the water... if you want to discover and live at a level of passionate, intense, enduring love in an exciting, adventurous partnership... Heroic Husband covers being the kind of Heroic Man who makes Prince Charming seem like a weak brute. This is THE guide for any man who wants to be the Heroic Husband! (and is VERY useful to women!).
                12CDs + Bonus
                $159.00 plus tax and shipping
                He's selling a whole bunch of CDs covering everything from dating to bed-wetting. Or you can hire him for $350.00 / hour.

Comment

HEROIC MASCULINTY (sic) Do you wish you had a clear vision for what it means to be a Real Man? Do you wish you knew what it took to get the most amazing women with a passionate love for the Man in Men? Do you wish you knew what it took to take your masculinity (or your femininity!) to the Next Level?
                  Heroic Masculinty (sic) is taking Authentic Masculinity to the Next Level! This 12 part series contains three series of four lessons each. You will learn the insight of the Levels of Masculinity. Even alone, it as a phenomenal way to think about Men AND Women and how to create the most stunning partnerships imaginable. Then learn how to live as a Level 3 Heroic Man (or Heroic Woman) in the second series. Finally, if you want to totally blow the fairy tales out of the water... if you want to discover and live at a level of passionate, intense, enduring love in an exciting, adventurous partnership... Heroic Husband covers being the kind of Heroic Man who makes Prince Charming seem like a weak brute. This is THE guide for any man who wants to be the Heroic Husband! (and is VERY useful to women!).
                  12CDs + Bonus
                  $159.00 plus tax and shipping
                  Preying on the insecure, that's a new one. It's a shame his martial art doesn't build self this kind of self confidence. But look on the bright side, the guy will teach you how NOT to be a complete pussy for only $160.00!

Level 3 heroic man? I've got a lvl 28 paladin. I wonder if that counts?

Comment

Heroic Masculinity? wtf-over...?

A Christian school teaching the principles of "chi"? Really?

Why do these people who create their own styles insist on using Asian language words to describe them? They always get it wrong.

Comment

I have talked with one of my seniors, and here is a summary of his reply, especially in response to the history posted on Mr. Conway's website, which has numerous false statements:

1. Jr. Ulganca was not a founder of Kajukenbo. He is a 3rd generation black belt under the late George Iverson.

2. Julian Generalao was NOT a student of Sijo Adriano Emperado but a "Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu" black belt under Sonny Gascon. He had some Kajukenbo training under Allen Abad, but Abad never promoted him to Professor. Abad was only 7th degree when Generalao quit training with him.

3. Conway's not on the Kajukenbo family tree, and it is doubtful that Generalao had the authority (Kajukenbo rank) to promote someone to 7th degree in Kajukenbo.

I can kick this even higher up the chain (to a Grandmaster) and see if Generalao had the authority to promote in Kajkukenbo, but I think it would be easier, and more appropriate, to first see Mr. Conway's certificate, and then to determine if it was a legitimate promotion. I am disinclined to bug a grandmaster about something like this.

Comment

As a side note, from a lawyer (i.e. me), he graduated from Thomas Jefferson Law School out in San Diego. No offense, but that school doesn't have a particularly good reputation in the legal community. When I was finishing college and applying to law schools back in 99 TJLS used to send me junk mail with promises of scholarships etc. Guess how many other law schools pursued me without me contacting them/applying first? The answer would be none.

The school has, according to some, improved over the last couple of years but they have (or at least had for a long time) a reputation of taking almost anybody with a pulse and enough money to pay tuition. They also in the past had a pretty poor track record concerning their students passing the bar. I also know that for a couple of years after they split from their previous affiliation they weren't fully accredited with the ABA.

None of this means that he isn't a lawyer (he is, and is on "active" status with the state of CA) or that everyone who goes to the school is a joke, especially if they graduated more recently. I'm sure of their students are totally legit, but it doesn't exactly count as a huge vote of confidence from me especially considering that he attended back in the early 90s.

Comment

Received some replies to my emails today.

The first was from the School he got his PhD in Christian Martial Arts from. The registrar said to contact the person in charge of the program. I emailed him and am waiting for a reply.

The second is more telling. This is a copy of the email I sent to the head of the Karaho system.

Yes, but he did not make his one year probation and was therefore terminated from the system. Causes for his termination cannot be discussed, but he could never return to the system ever again.

-------- Original Message --------
                          Subject: Scot Conway
                          Date: Thu, October 15, 2009 8:37 pm
                          To: [email protected]

I am writing to verify if Scot Conway indeed has attained the level
                          of 1st degree black belt in the kara ho system.

Thanks.

Comment

Here's Royler Gracie beating the shit out of Soke Conway.

YouTube - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs. Kenpo Karate - Royler Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                              Here's Royler Gracie beating the shit out of Soke Conway.

YouTube - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs. Kenpo Karate - Royler Gracie
                              I like the way that Royler was all like "WTF, man! Was that it?!?" at the end...

So, you're 100% sure that it's definitely him?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X