My first groundfighting lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first groundfighting lesson

So today we had a martial arts camp that included all of the arts our organization teaches. For the last part of today's session we did an hour of ground grappling.

IT WAS AWESOME!

I seriously cannot believe how much fun that stuff is. Just wrestling around to practice changing positions was great.

Anyway, on Monday I'm headed off to try out a BJJ class at an MMA gym nearby. Hopefully starting the first of next month I'll be able to add BJJ n00b to my style field.

That's awesome man. Both that you expanded your horizons and that your school has a camp like that. I gotta give props to your instructors.

But welcome to the world of grappling. Best o' luck on your endeavors!
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

Grats man! You have now opened your eyes to the joys of noncompliant grappling!

Comment

Originally posted by nmorse View Post
        So today we had a martial arts camp that included all of the arts our organization teaches. For the last part of today's session we did an hour of ground grappling.

IT WAS AWESOME!

I seriously cannot believe how much fun that stuff is. Just wrestling around to practice changing positions was great.

Anyway, on Monday I'm headed off to try out a BJJ class at an MMA gym nearby. Hopefully starting the first of next month I'll be able to add BJJ n00b to my style field.
        Welcome. I did this too, although it was just one 10 minute uncoordinated grappling session in an otherwise typical Bujinkan class.
        Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido!

Originally posted by nmorse View Post
          You might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful, as a new student in BJJ.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping

Maximizing what you get out of rolling

Protecting Yourself During Sparring

BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners
          Grappling Basic Principles

Advice for Noobs

10 Quick Tips for White Belts

First Day Lesson

Fundamental 5

Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
          Nuggets of Advice
          Beginning BJJ
          (free e-course and e-book)
          The Journey to Blue Belt

BJJ Grrl's Dos and Don'ts
          Getting Started
          BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

Thanks. I'll try reading some of that when I get the time.

I can't wait to start doing BJJ regularly.

Comment

It's fucking awesome, isn't it? After a tiny bit of a taste of grappling here and there, to finally get an entire bite and realize just how much better actually doing it really is.

Let us march together, my brother, to our respective MMA gyms to discover just how many times we can get tapped out in one minute. I'm up to about four!

Comment

I don't give a shit what anyone else says, slideyfoot plugging his FAQ in every thread like it's the word of God is annoying as hell. If anything just post a single link where someone can navigate on their own.

Anyways, glad to hear you've swallowed the pill.

Comment

Originally posted by v1y View Post
                  I don't give a shit what anyone else says, slideyfoot plugging his FAQ in every thread like it's the word of God is annoying as hell. If anything just post a single link where someone can navigate on their own.
                  If people tended to search upon joining the site, that's what I would do. From what I've seen, beginners don't normally look through previous threads, they just subscribe to their own intro.

Apologies if it annoys you: I'd suggest you put me on ignore, as then you'll just see a little box saying "you have ignored slideyfoot" where my post would normally be.
                  BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

If everyone read Slidey's posts the world would be a better place so sod off, v1y.

Comment

No, i mean you can reply to every thread posting a single link.

What you do is reply to every thread with 15 links.

Comment

I found the links both helpful and easy to follow, so I appreciated the posting. Also, a lot of new users aren't going to search through old posts on the newbietown board looking for hints or tips. This way a lot of people who basically post "I'm starting BJJ etc etc etc" will also get some cool info whether or not they specifically asked for it.
                        Plus, what would the difference between him listing 10 links, and just posting 1?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X