Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we setting ourselves up for a more violent world?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are we setting ourselves up for a more violent world?

    Ok,
    Heres a thought.
    Now that MMA is becoming much more popular and and still growing at incredible rates (no I don't have any stats), I'm basing this on world events - for example the mayweather vs marquez fight had 4 thousand less attendees than the UFC event. Its also obvious that MMA events are becoming more mainstream by people wearing TapOut T-shirts and other merchandising.

    Anyways, as MMA becomes more and more mainstream, does this mean the next generation would become more and more skilled in 'self defense' and would this make society a better or worst place to live in? Would it make society more violent or would it make it less?

    Would school yard fights be different? instead of going home with a black eye and broken nose you go home with the result of been on the loosing end of an armbar or kimura.

    #2
    One can only hope.
    Soon-to-be BJJ sandbagger?

    Comment


      #3
      Well if you were on the "loosing" end of a kimura or armbar it should be pretty easy to get out of it.

      bdang, every post you make sets me up to get more violent, lol.

      There is a few ways to look at it and I just wanted to get that last sentence off before I finish work.
      GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
      Originally posted by Devil
      I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
      Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
      I <3 Battlefields...

      Comment


        #4
        Are you implying that boxing is non-violent and MMA is violent? What does that attendance count of the events have to do with anything?

        Comment


          #5
          Considering the amount of people involved in MA: I don't think so Tim

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by moenstah View Post
            considering the amount of people involved in ma:i don't think so tim

            oh no you didn't!
            Originally posted by Judoka_UK
            Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by battlefields View Post
              Well if you were on the "loosing" end of a kimura or armbar it should be pretty easy to get out of it.

              bdang, every post you make sets me up to get more violent, lol.

              There is a few ways to look at it and I just wanted to get that last sentence off before I finish work.
              "The result of been on the loosing end of a kumra or armbar" means a broken arm instead of a black eye or nose.
              It sets you up to get more violent? - I didn't know I had such an impact on your life.

              Are you implying that boxing is non-violent and MMA is violent? What does that attendance count of the events have to do with anything?
              Jesus... are you reading whole paragraphs or just sentences? If you read the part before that sentence - it saids I think MMA is growing in popularity, no I do not have any stats on it (because it seems like anything you assume will need stats), I was basing that assumption on the fact that there were less people who attended the boxing even than a UFC event, to me this shows that MMA is growing popularity. 10 years ago a major boxing event would have had a much larger presence compared to an MMA event - does this make it clearer? Besides this post is not about that, now is it?

              considering the amount of people involved in MA: I don't think so Tim
              I don't get it. I mean I get the reference to t.v show but what do you mean by the amount of people involved in MA?

              Comment


                #8
                he is saying that just because something is popular doesnt mean that its practiced. more kids in NZ play soccer than play rugby, but most NZers wouldnt even know the name of our national soccer team (do we have one?)

                your point is, well, nonsensical. im not sure what connection you're trying to make here between attendance at an mma event and the world getting more violent (which it isnt, btw)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Alex View Post
                  he is saying that just because something is popular doesnt mean that its practiced. more kids in NZ play soccer than play rugby, but most NZers wouldnt even know the name of our national soccer team (do we have one?)

                  your point is, well, nonsensical. im not sure what connection you're trying to make here between attendance at an mma event and the world getting more violent (which it isnt, btw)
                  Who is saying that its popular but doesn't mean its practiced? - the boxing guy? He said I'm implying MMA is violent and boxing isn't... sure boxing is violent, but please read my last sentence of my original post.

                  The attendance at an MMA event is just a SIGN of the GROWING POPULARITY, the merchandising, new films being produced based on MMA with MMA stars etc etc - they all SUGGEST the growing popularity in MMA. Now with the amount of MMA gyms popping up, it would also suggest there are alot more interests from the common people.

                  The main point is, would the next generation be more capable of dealing out punishment than the generation now because it is much easier to find out how to perform a kimura/armbar/choke etc etc than in the previous generation. So instead of punching someone, people will be more incline to not only punch and kick but to also grapple and break body parts.

                  edit:
                  How do you know theres more soccer players than rugby players? (out of curiosity) I would have thought rugby league or union would be the most... maybe soccer is gaining in popularity just like how it is here in Aus.
                  Last edited by bdang; 9/21/2009 2:18am, .

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thank you, Alex.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I don't know bdang. Just because something's popular as a spectator sport doesn't mean it's going to be widely practiced. Boxing and wrestling have a history of more than two millenia in the west and most people still do schoolyard push-and-shove and throw shitty haymakers in your average bar brawl. Maybe we'll see an increase in the number of people trying half-arsed armlocks and getting themselves punched in the balls.

                      On the subject of "bar brawls" I have anecdotal evidence that society (at least as far as the pub "culture") is becoming less violent rather than more. It makes the news because it is exceptional rather than commonplace.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by bdang View Post
                        Who is saying that its popular but doesn't mean its practiced? - the boxing guy? He said I'm implying MMA is violent and boxing isn't... sure boxing is violent, but please read my last sentence of my original post.

                        The attendance at an MMA event is just a SIGN of the GROWING POPULARITY, the merchandising, new films being produced based on MMA with MMA stars etc etc - they all SUGGEST the growing popularity in MMA. Now with the amount of MMA gyms popping up, it would also suggest there are alot more interests from the common people.

                        The main point is, would the next generation be more capable of dealing out punishment than the generation now because it is much easier to find out how to perform a kimura/armbar/choke etc etc than in the previous generation. So instead of punching someone, people will be more incline to not only punch and kick but to also grapple and break body parts.
                        ah, i see what you mean. its just that to me personally i wouldnt put grappling with someone in a more violent category than hitting someone. you might break someones arm in a playground fight with a kimura, or you might kill someone by punching their lights and their head hitting the pavement. its all much of a muchness.

                        Now, the real question would be are more people learning how to fight? really you would have to find some statistics for this but at a guess, no. the reason i say that is because people who have a REAL interest in learning how to fight will do so whether its through an MMA gym, wrestling gym, karate dojo, boxing gym etc. i dont think there are neccessarily more people doing it, more a jump from certain arts to others. id argue that people training in arts that are more realistic (like boxing, mma etc) are less likely to get into fights because they are aware of what can happen, so the more people involved in these arts and less people doing magic cow kung fu the better. of course you always have the asshole factor, but really, how many of those douchebags wearing affliction hats who did 2 mma lessons before they realised they didnt pack the nuts for the training are learning anything anyway? the turnover rates at schools that produce actual fighters are generally pretty fuckin high.

                        edit:
                        How do you know theres more soccer players than rugby players? (out of curiosity) I would have thought rugby league or union would be the most... maybe soccer is gaining in popularity just like how it is here in Aus.
                        2/3rds of a sport and exercise science degree. And I gave an A+ presentation on the history of rugby.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The world is no more or no less violent than it always has been.

                          Before MMA there was Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, Karate, Kung Fu movies, Judo, Pankration, Sword fighting tournmanets, and much much more. It didn't change the way pple are.

                          MMA isn't going to make the world more violent just like Kung Fu movie didn't make the world more violent when they were all the craze. The violence is always there will always be there and pretty much stays the same with a few spikes here and there.

                          Bottom line its a silly thread.
                          ______
                          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

                          RIP SOLDIER

                          Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                          -Gene, GODHAND

                          You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                          -Daniel Tosh

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by bdang View Post
                            "The result of been on the loosing end of a kumra or armbar" means a broken arm instead of a black eye or nose.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Nicko1 View Post
                              On the subject of "bar brawls" I have anecdotal evidence that society (at least as far as the pub "culture") is becoming less violent rather than more. It makes the news because it is exceptional rather than commonplace.
                              this isnt just anecdotal. crime rates have been on the whole in steady decline for a long ass time, what has gone up is the coverage. all i hear is "oh back in my day, the world was so much safer"

                              when actually it wasnt, its just that not every asshole had a phonecam to record some kid getting a beatdown at school. there was a case a little while ago where some schoolkids were organising fights and filming it- cue shock and horror from local community and country at large. i was watching it with my dad, he just shrugged and said it was like when he was a kid, except he grew up in dublin where schoolkids actually knew how to throw a punch. they just couldnt afford cameras to film it or they would have.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X